Sailing from Galveston

*Mach*

I'm sailing on the Conquest in about eight weeks and I'm trying to get some of the logistics set in my mind.

My cruise documents from Carnival are pretty cut and dried about arriving early:

"Special Notice: Embarkation

For your comfort and convenience we strongly recommend that you NOT arrive at the cruise terminal more than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled check in start time for your cruise. Due to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, early arriving guests may not be permitted to enter the terminal upon arrival."

I'd hate to get there at 11:30 and look like a dork standing around outside for a couple hours.

Any help?

Thanks!!

I'm sailing on the Conquest in about eight weeks and I'm trying to get some of the logistics set in my mind.

My cruise documents from Carnival are pretty cut and dried about arriving early:

"Special Notice: Embarkation

For your comfort and convenience we strongly recommend that you NOT arrive at the cruise terminal more than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled check in start time for your cruise. Due to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, early arriving guests may not be permitted to enter the terminal upon arrival."

I'd hate to get there at 11:30 and look like a dork standing around outside for a couple hours.

Any help?

Thanks!!

By early they mean 8 or 9 AM. We have always been able to get in and start the check-in process by 11 AM. We sometimes have to wait in a lounge area until they are ready to board which is anywhere between 11:30 AM and 1:00 PM if everything is running smooth. All this is based on the ship arriving in port on time and not having some sort of customs trouble with the departing guest.

In the event that you arrive at the port early or there is a problem don't panic. Just across the street from the terminal is the Strand Historic District with dozens of late 1800's & early 1900's restored buildings. They now house specialty shops, restaurants, museums, art galleries and so on. There is plenty to do in this area besides waiting in line.

Try this site.

http://www.galveston.com/downtowntour/

Thanks for the input.

I've sailed out of New Orleans in the past on both the Conquest and the Inspiration but it's been a few years.

I expect to get to Galveston at about 10:30 or 11:00 and was hoping to get aboard ship fairly early to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks, Ginny, that's good to know.

I would hate to get there and just hang around.

When I sailed out of New Orleans I had about a 20 minute wait in line before we started borading.

As I mentioned, I figure that an 11:30 arrival at the cruise terminal should work well and it sounds like it will.

They actually will begin allowing passengers to board the ship in VIP status around 11:30am. Other passengers will begin boarding around 12:00.

You can always go ahead and check your luggage with one of the porters and then walk around the port area, there is a Fuddruckers, Starbucks, the Strand has tons of shops.

NO matter what time you actually board the ship, you won't be able to get into your cabin until about 1:30 as the cabin stewards need that much time to turn the cabins over and have them ready for your arrival.;)

No matter what time you actually board the ship, you won't be able to get into your cabin until about 1:30 as the cabin stewards need that much time to turn the cabins over and have them ready for your arrival.;)

I'm not concerned about getting to my cabin, I want to get ON BOARD!

I haven't sailed for a few years and I've got a pretty good case of withdrawal going!

Can't wait to get back out on the deep blue water...

Mach

After you check in, you will be directed to an area that has rows of chairs.

Sit on the left hand side, back row ( closest to the wall).

After VIP, those seats will be called first.

We cruised out of Galveston, on the Conquest, twice in three months. We saw a world of difference between getting there early (10:30) and at prime time (12:15).

We talk about embarkation and disembarkation at length in our two reviews of the Conquest:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=22159

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=25158

Sorry I didn't get to your post earlier. I hadn't checked this thread in several days. I did read the reviews that you provided links for. Very informative, great stuff.

I'm going to make sure that I'm at the port early enough to avoid the lines.

Sorry I didn't get to your post earlier. I hadn't checked this thread in several days. I did read the reviews that you provided links for. Very informative, great stuff.

I'm going to make sure that I'm at the port early enough to avoid the lines.

Enjoy your cruise and your time in Galveston.

Enjoy your cruise and your time in Galveston.

Hey - long time no see, stranger! Thank you again for the suits for Aaron. He's still a bit small for the smallest one, but he sure is eyeing the white tux (look out John Travolta!). He starts 1st grade next Wednesday, and in a couple weeks, we'll break it to his teacher that we're taking him out for 9 days next month for the Alaska cruise on Mercury.

Happy cruising to you and many more returns!

Hey - long time no see, stranger! Thank you again for the suits for Aaron. He's still a bit small for the smallest one, but he sure is eyeing the white tux (look out John Travolta!). He starts 1st grade next Wednesday, and in a couple weeks, we'll break it to his teacher that we're taking him out for 9 days next month for the Alaska cruise on Mercury.

Happy cruising to you and many more returns!

We didn't go far... tend to stay off the board until we book something - serious cruise envy complex.

Think we told you we accidentally took a 2nd Conquest cruise in January...Booked NCL Spirit out of NOLA for Thanksgiving.

Think we told you we accidentally took a 2nd Conquest cruise in January...Booked NCL Spirit out of NOLA for Thanksgiving.

DH has eyed some of the ones out of NOLA, but we haven't picked anything yet. We will try to stick to when Aaron's out of school, but when a great deal comes along sometimes you just gotta do it. I think we'll do a driving vacation for spring break to Charleston and Savannah. I'd love to be in an audience for one of Paula Deen's shows. But this Alaska trip will wipe us out for a while!

Have a great time!

Archived