NY Hotel Questions

oahurose

Hi,

We're taking our first cruise in September from of the Manhatten Pier. This will be our first visit to New York City also....... We fly in on a Saturday (LaQuardia) and board the ship on Sunday. We return from the cruise on a Saturday and plan to stay in New York another two nights.

Our plan is to bid through priceline, and we had hoped to stay in East Manhatten. However, it looks like room rates are very high in September.

Here's the question...What is a good alternative area with a little more reasonable room rates, that still keeps us close to the sites in New York?

How's the area near the LaGuardia? What about the Jersey City area? We don't want to be to far out and spend the hotel savings on Taxi's.

Thanks....

If you are planning on doing any sightseeing, you should really try and stay in NYC. It is so much easier to get up and grab a quick cab to the pier. DId you try looking at hotels in West Manhattan and Midtown or Times Square? That is closer to the ship pier than East Manhattan.

I have to say this - we are going on a cruise out of San Diego in March and we can't find a hotel for less than $179 near the cruiseship pier. I'd rather pay $179 in NYC than San Diego!

To get a hotel under $200.00 anytime from September-end of the year you will have to stay in New Jersey or around LaGuardia. NY hotels are at their highest prices in the September-January time frame. A Priceline bid in that time frame will probably require AT LEAST $250.00 for a 4* hotel. The two star hotels on Priceline are not worth even bidding for.

The Jersey City Hyatt is a great place. PATH train takes about 10-15 minutes into the city and is next door to the hotel. There are also water taxis.

There are some decent hotels around LaGuardia (Crowne Plaza, Marriott), but going into Manhattan daily from Queens will be time consuming and could be expensive. IMHO, you will be far better off in Jersey City.

Keep in mind the PATH and the ferry are geared mostly for commuters.

I'd bite the bullet and start power shopping and stay in Manhattan.

In peak season, keep in mind Jersey City hotels (Doubletree, Hyatt) aren't really going to save you any money when you add in time and cost of commute.

• 1 month later...

After months of seaching (literally searching every day), I came across a deal on hotwire for a 4 star hotel on the east side of Manhattan for $200 a night. Wow...I was so excited!! It is clear over by the United Nations, but walking doesn't bother me much and when my feet get tired, I will hop in a yellow cab. Afterall, will save a ton on the room so that should pay for a lot of cab fare.

I told my friends at work that I was on a mission to get a 3-4* hotel in midtown for under $225 and I finally did it. I didn't much care if it was midtown east, south, west...just a place in which it was easy to walk to after a day of exploring. I find these go on sale about 2-3 weeks just prior to your arrival date. If you see the deal you have been searching for, don't hesitate. It will probably not be around the following day. Could be...but wouldn't take that chance.

Now, the hotel room for two nights is actually less than the flight out from San Francisco and less than the entire cruise fare....before this, it was looking like it was going to be the most expensive aspect of the trip.

Archived