More First-Timers asking not-so-silly questions...

pr8hd

DW and I are going on first cruise in November 07. After three years of marriage and five years together this will be the closest thing to a honeymoon we have had. Our cruise is on the RCL Sovereign of the Seas for 4 days going to Nassau and CocoCay 11/12/07. Any suggestions for the following:

Would like to avoid the tourist traps in Nassau and actually spend time learning about the local history and culture.

Less crowded beaches?

Good local (not Senor Frog's :( ) restaurants?

Can JBOY deliver a case of beer to the ship? :D (and.. how come they can deliver, but I can't BYOB?)

Onboard we plan to take it easy and relax a lot.

(Not so) tactful and diplomatic part: How is RCL about controlling kids? We booked in November with the thought that most children will be in school and not on a cruise. Not that I dislike kids (except for that one screaming child who follows me to every restaurant, movie and airplane, and has for the last 30 years!! :mad: ) but I'd like to avoid as many of them as I can when on vacation. Going to get plenty of 'em at WDW!

We have learned a lot from all of you here at the CC Boards. This has helped us plan many things about our trip as well as save a few bucks here and there.

THANKS!!

Unless you're cruising during Thanksgiving week, you really shouldn't have to worry about kids. If you're on during that week, look out, because there will be tons of families on board, as that's a popular cruise time for them.

For tours, hire a private guide. That's the best way to learn about the area, and not just the tourist traps.

Go over to Atlantis Hotel. They have some wonderful, and upscale restaurants.

Hello,

I suggest you consider taking the local ferry to Paradise Island, where you can visit the Atlantis Hotel. The ferry itself leaves from close to where your ship will dock and the ferry is inexpensive and fun (it is about 20 minutes from the Nassau dock to Paradise Island.

A walk around downtown Nassau will take you an hour or less.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Atlantis is 'touristy' in the fact that it is a resort but it is also beautiful and they do have some great restaurants. I have been fortunate enough to vacation there and it is awesome! Be ready to pay though - that resort was not built to be cheap.

I was on the Sovereign in February of this year. If you want a really great excursion I recommend the Segway ride. You are taken to the cricket club where you meet you instructor and learn how to ride the Segway - it is NOT difficult to ride at all and they will do a wonderful job of showing you the ropes.

Then you and the rest of the group - usually only 6 people and the guide, will take off for a little sightseeing. We went to the old fort, through a botanical garden that was apparently destroyed during a hurricane and is now closed to everyone except this tour - it is coming back beautifully, and around a bit. Like I said it was a great tour and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Not at all touristy and very small groups of people. (No kids allowed on this excursion.)

As for kids on the ship - you picked a shorter cruise so you are going to have them. In general the longer the cruise the fewer families/kids. But RCCL and the Sovereign do have kids clubs and activities along with a teen center. That's not to say you won't see them around - you will! If you don't want to be around them then I would suggest for sure avoiding Johnny Rockets and the pizzeria as they seemed to gather there at lunch times and in the evenings. In all honesty they weren't an issue - RCCL seems to have done a nice job keeping them all entertained.

Silly question~ debating on taking a excursion to Blackbeards Cay to swim or just finding a beach on our own. Traveling with a mother in law who has troulbe walking on unsteady ground. If you don't go with the excursion do they have beach chairs to rent at the beaches? I know with the excursions the beach chairs are included.:confused:

Would like to avoid the tourist traps in Nassau and actually spend time learning about the local history and culture. Less crowded beaches?

Good luck. Walk around on your own & reading the signs or try contacting their board of tourism but I don't hodl out much hope for you.

In Coco Cay, looking at the bars & buildings, head as far right as you can go. It's the most "isolated" spot on that beach.

Good local (not Senor Frog's :( ) restaurants?

I don't know of a Zagats for the islands. Follow your nose if you are looking for local color. If you truly want 4 stars, go to Atlantis.

Can JBOY deliver a case of beer to the ship? :D (and.. how come they can deliver, but I can't BYOB?)

Doesn't matter how it gets there -- you vs. a delivery service, you will not be allowed to consume it on board. You'll get it back when you disembark. Don't even bother.

How is RCL about controlling kids?
I believe the sovereign sails close to Disney so you get kids. Other than the employees for the kids' programs most staff I saw ignored the kids & certainly never exercised control over them. Unless it's thanksgiving week itself, you shouldn't encounter too many kids.

(Not so) tactful and diplomatic part: How is RCL about controlling kids? We booked in November with the thought that most children will be in school and not on a cruise. Not that I dislike kids (except for that one screaming child who follows me to every restaurant, movie and airplane, and has for the last 30 years!! :mad: ) but I'd like to avoid as many of them as I can when on vacation. Going to get plenty of 'em at WDW!

We just returned from a week on Mariner of the Seas; you're going to have a great time!

Re kids: There were ALOT of teens on my cruise; not so many little kids. Supposedly there is a 1 am curfew for minors, but I didn't observe that it was enforced. But I didn't have any problems at all with the large numbers of teens -- no-late night door knockers, no drunk high-schoolers, no poolside groping. Maybe it was just my week, but they were quite well-behaved.

I can't tell you from a cruiser's perspective because I'm taking my first cruise in about a week. But I've flown to Nassau and I'd recommend venturing beyond the Straw Market (where IRRC the cruiselines dock).

Nassau, since it is the capital, has a lovely downtown. It's quintessential British Colonial with lots of pastel pinks and yellows and is fun to just walk around. I bet you could find some decent food by just following the locals into certain places.

I personally loved the Queen's Staircase (right by the fort). It's carved out of coral. However, kids will try to sell you tours of the fort. We took one just out of curiosity on what a 14-year-old could tell us for $5. His spiel was out of the brochures.:rolleyes:

Also, on Paradise Island, there's lovely 14th century monastery cloisters brought over by William Randolph Hearst...

RCI does a great job of keeping the kids entertained and out of your hair! I don't like kids around me, either (since mine are grown and gone!!!) and I've never been bothered unduly by the little rug-rats!

Just took that same cruise...Didn't have any problem with kids on the ship.

Hired a driver in Nassau to give us a tour. Best $$ spent. Got to see everything we wanted , stop whenever we wanted, and shopped if we wanted. Great time because we lucked up and had a driver with a great personality who really wanted to show us a good time. (tips you know).

Archived