NYC Hotel Help

J Free 203

I was just in NYC for mid june. I booked my hotel around december/january. So that was about 5-6 months in advanced. I always say it pays to book early and in my case, IT DID. I booked on hotels.com. I went back about 5-7 pages back, to their "not covered under low price guarantee pages". This means that you pay hotels.com a $5 TA charge, but you pay the hotel the price. I found a really nice hotel callled Affinia Dumont. It is near macys and ESB on 34th street. Hotel had a nice lobby, free tea, nice staff, and a computer where you can print boarding passes on. A nice gym and spa are located in the hotel along with a meeting room. 37 floors, I had a studio suite on the 31. Two queen beds, big tv and desk, complete kitchen and very clean bathrooom. Loved the Affinia. I got this hotel for $162 per night. It was great. I couldn't beleive it was so cheap. So look on the back pages of hotels.com. I am infact looking for next year for NYC midtown.

Looking for a good place to stay in midtown in september, looking under 200 for the night. Anyone have any secrets on what priceline does for NYC 3-4 stars? Any help would be great!

Peak season is Labor Day through New Years. Since the average hotel in September 2006 was over $300, your price will get you a entry level moderate hotel.

Don't expect priceline to have anything for $200 unless you want to chance on booking at the very last minute and even then maybe not. Hotels will run almost 100% occupancy.

Summer rates have no impact whatsoever on fall rates.

Do your research. Last September for our Crown Princess post-cruise stay, I found the Michelangelo for $250 a night for two nights. It sounds (and is) pricey but the rate was much cheaper than anything else we could find.

The hotel is at 51st and 7th and absolutely perfectly placed for all the attractions of midtown Manhattan. It seemed like the world was just a few blocks away in any direction. The theatre district, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Macy's, etc., etc..

Funny thing was, unknown to me at the time we booked, I stayed at the same hotel during a high school trip 26 years earlier when it was known as the Hotel Taft. It was much more luxurious last year :).

Oh, that's funny -- I stayed in the Taft, too, back in the day, when my dad took me to NY as a high school graduation present! Nice to know it still exists in some incarnation.

To get back on topic, to the OP: take a look at the Doubletree Metropolitan -- their rates tend to hover just under $200 and they have a very good location in midtown.

The Michelangelo is a great hotel... love their huge bathtubs! They have a summer special of $240, but I would imagine that to go up after Labor Day.

September and October are busy in New York due to the weather... not too hot, not cold yet, perfect for sightseeing. Plus the foliage is pretty in the Northeast, so the hotel rates go up from NYC up through New England/PA/Upstate New York.

Why is it peak season Labor Day thru New Year's??????? I would think maybe November to New Year's.

Tons of business travelers (70% of room revenue on Manhattan is business travel), conventions, conferences, events. Fashion Week and the NYC Marathon are two fall events that come to mind that sell out hotels.

Check prices for hotels anytime between Labor Day and New Years and you'll see. Hotels are insanely expensive.

Whodda thunk $200 a night for a hotel room was a bargain?

i take my hotels.com suggestion back. I can't stand hotels.com now. i got my credit card bill and they charged me $55 extra because the room said it was for 2, and we had 4. But, i called hotels.com twice before I went, and they assured my there would be not extra charge, I even have it circled on the booking # paper. So I called about 20 minutes and they asked for my boooking number, then put me on hold. 12 minutes later, a recording said I was about to be disconnected and then I was.

So I called again, Im on hold right now, I was on hold the first time for 15 minutes, then they transfered me again, where its beeen 5 mintues now, just waiting.

I can't stand them.

i take my hotels.com suggestion back. I can't stand hotels.com now. i got my credit card bill and they charged me $55 extra because the room said it was for 2, and we had 4. But, i called hotels.com twice before I went, and they assured my there would be not extra charge, I even have it circled on the booking # paper. So I called about 20 minutes and they asked for my boooking number, then put me on hold. 12 minutes later, a recording said I was about to be disconnected and then I was.

So I called again, Im on hold right now, I was on hold the first time for 15 minutes, then they transfered me again, where its beeen 5 mintues now, just waiting.

I can't stand them.

cot, not taking up for what www.hotels.com did to you but just as a heads up, in Manhattan a hotel room for four people is a premium room. A standard room at most hotels is one queen or one double bed.

I am looking for a hotel in Sept as well .... spending a couple of days in NY before my cruise. I agree with the portion of the thread that everything goes up right after Labor Day....the Affinia Dumont is over $300 per night in Sept. I think $300 might be a deal at this point after searching. I was just getting ready to book at the Hilton and while on their website to check out the location, the price went up an additional $30 per night.....didn't even give me time to book the rate which was displayed. ha!! Well, did get a great rate on the cruise and a decent deal on the airfare...and always wanted to visit New York so am going to bite the bullet and stay in Manhattan. Location, location, location!! My friends think I am crazy for wanting to go and that I am willing to pay to stay in Manhattan...but I just know I am going to have a fabulous time....and will pay for the fabulous time!!

Archived