We got split up

Unless we get upgraded, there is a chance my MIL will be on a different deck than the rest of us. In the event of an emergency, she may need help getting to the muster station. Does anyone know if she/we would be allowed to "switch" muster stations? This way, one of us would be responsible for helping her to our station, and we could all be together.

We are going on our 2nd family cruise this fall, last time we were all next to each other, this time we are spread out on different decks. Everyone is much happier about this time :p

Unless we get upgraded, there is a chance my MIL will be on a different deck than the rest of us. In the event of an emergency, she may need help getting to the muster station. Does anyone know if she/we would be allowed to "switch" muster stations? This way, one of us would be responsible for helping her to our station, and we could all be together.

How did you get split up? Did you book guarantees?

Bill

I always thuought people here got separated from famliy on purpose and didn't care. I keep hearing "oh DH and I were in a balcony on the Panaroma and the kids were in a OV on the Rivieria" and so forth or "DW and I were in a balcony on the Empress and the my parents were in an inside on the Main"

I traveled with a handicapped friend, (wheel chair bound) and they actually excused him from the muster drill. Hmmm, makes me wonder if they just figured he would go down with the ship cuz they couldnt get him into a life boat? They made me go, however, and he waited in our cabin for me to return.

I traveled with a handicapped friend, (wheel chair bound) and they actually excused him from the muster drill. Hmmm, makes me wonder if they just figured he would go down with the ship cuz they couldnt get him into a life boat? They made me go, however, and he waited in our cabin for me to return.

I know you probably didn't mean to get a chuckle out but that "go down with the ship part" has me rolling right now:p

Maybe the figured he's just be wheeled to a lifeboat right away and there wasn't a need for him to wait in the long lines:confused:

I doubt that OFFICIALLY they would allow you to go a different deck to assist someone. The Muster Drill is regulated by the Coast Guard and if they would catch wind of this there would penalties. When you fill out the FunPass you need to enter that the person requires assistance.

How many cabin do you have booked. If it is more than 2 maybe someone can switch cabins so she can be closer to able body family. As far as the formalities of it. Before the drill make sure there is an extra life vest in your cabin and have her stay with you during the drill. I have never seen them take attendance. They just make sure there is no one in the cabins.

When we took our kids (teens and youngs adults at the time) we ended up with two rooms next to each other and one on a completely different part of the ship. We put the girls next to us for safety's sake (youngest is DD) and sent the boys to the other cabin. I figured they could take care of themselves (and hoped they'd be good...lol).

Someone did have a good idea, if you have others in your party that are in a close room, have them switch. Because of my kids' ages I had to book the twins (boy and girl) together, book the younger son with DH and younger daughter with me. I was told that they didn't care how we split them up on the ship.

When I was on the NCL Jewel last year they DID take attendance during muster... the life jackets had room numbers on them and we were marked off as we entered but it wasn't really obvious they were doing it. I don't recall my CCL cruises. If you can't get your MIL near you, just see to it that they know she will need help during muster. There will probably be times that you're not together anyway and if there were a true emergency (highly unlikely) any personnel would see to it that she has assistance if she asked for it and were away from you. Drills are major issues with the Coast Guard and they're taken quite seriously by all of the vessels. I'm sure they have personnel checking cabins, etc. in an emergency.

Have a great cruise!

Muster stations have specific cabin assignments and the officer assigned to each has a guest roster. In the event of an emergency, if everyone does not show up, they know exactly which cabin to search.

Just tell them your MIL may need assistance.

When you book a quarantee getting split up happens very often. There is really nothing you can do about it except pay the extra to move her to a cabin near you.

What I would suggest is for you to take her to her muster station early and find a place nearby to let her sit. Notify one of the crew members at that muster station that she will require assistance and then go to your muster station. I also recomend that you get to the muster station before they start calling for the muster drill that way you can still use the elevators and the crowds will not be so bad. Cindy

We asked our PVP to keep our rooms nearby and he "connected" us so that we'd be together and we were. Our rooms were beside each other and we were at the same table for dinner. So just ask if you can be near each other.

Good luck!

Booked a GTY and got upgraded. MIL got upgraded to different deck. I will bring it up when I get on board.

You're TA should be able to keep you together even though you've both been upgraded unless perhaps she was in an inside and you were in a balcony..even still depending on the upgrade and who would have to be upgraded how many cabins, etc...they should still be able to place you nearby. Perhaps one of you may have to relinquish the upgrade to stay on the same deck as your other cabin.

Archived