I Need To Start From Scratch..HELP, LADIES

So it's been a few years since I seriously wore any makeup and it's time to put a little more effort in to it. I put myself on the backburner for quite awhile and I need a little more pretty in my life. I'm in my forties and still having a problem with oily skin and uneven coloring but fair skinned and burn easily. I've only ever purchased the run of the mill type make...Cover Girl, etc., and have no clue about the better brands. It's very confusing out there! I'd like to purchase the better brands but don't want to waste hard earned money buying a promise instead of something that really works effectively.

If I could please get some advice on what's worked for others it would make thinks so much easier. As the title stated, I want to start from scratch...so facial cleansers, something effective in shrinking pores and keeping the oil at bay as well as natural looking cosmetics would be great. I've got 2 months before the cruise to turn out a "New" me that still looks like me, just a little more polished and fresh.

I know I've come to the right place, so many friendly people out here with great sense! :)

Firsty, it is time to have a professional consultation.

Start by asking people who's makeup you like, who they use.

Find a general consensus and then call the best department store close to you and make an appointment for a makeover from the consultant. This service is free of charge.

Inform them you need everything from skincare to a full face.

They'll also show you how to apply.

Plan on spending somewhere around $200 for a moderate brand.

If this isn't the way you want to go, start with a tinted moisturizer with an SPF (even tho you are oily, you still need a moisturizer. Not doing this will cause your skin to produce even more oil).

Then add a cheek stain, mascara, and a good lipstick.

These few things will completely brighten your face.

The Lancome counters sometimes have free makeover sessions. You can call your dept. store and ask about it.

MAC gives makeovers if you spend $30 on products (I think). $30 at MAC is two products...they run about $15 a piece no matter what you buy.:rolleyes: Personally, I love MAC. I don't know about other places, but the makeup artists at the MAC counter at Dillard's where I live are always very nice, down to earth and not pushy at all.

I think the hardest part about starting over will be your skin care and foundation. You might have to try a few different products before you find just the right thing. The rest is fun...picking eyeshadow/blush/lipstick colors. Don't be afraid to ask for help at the department stores. Most women who work there are happy to help. :)

HAVE FUN!

Another option is to go to a Sephora store. They carry many different brands and they will also do a makeover.

If you check around you may find a department store line (like Lancome, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden) that has a "gift with purchase". Those gifts often have some moisturiser or cleanser, plus maybe an eye colour, mascara, blush or something else. That will save you from spending some $$.

Also, don't feel pressured to buy a ton of different products ... I use a foundation plus powder (I'm very oily also), a blush, a kit that has a grey/black eyeshadow that can double as a liner and another eye colour, mascara and lipstick.

Definitely get a moisturiser that has a good SPF factor, so you can wear it every day. If you don't want to spend a ton of money on a cleanser then buy some Cetaphil at your local drugstore.

(By the way, I switched over to Arbonne several months ago and my skin looks great. But it's quite an investment so I don't recommend you try it unless you know a rep who can give you free sample packets first.)

Just about every make up counter will be willing to do your make up if they think they can get a sale out of you!

I would consider first checking with your beauty salon and seeing if they offer make up application lessons for Teens. If so, I bet they would work something out for you!

It may be about $40-50 bucks, but usually they arent in it to hound you about buying their products and they will actually teach you what colors work for you! If thats out of your price range, consider contacting your local beauty schools, they often let people come in to "practice on". But its been my experience that they do good work. I plan to going to the one near me for my mani and pedi and possibly for waxing before the cruise!

The most important thing for you to do is find good products that you like. What you wash your face with and moisturize with are most important. I also have oily skin and used to be acne prone (great side affect of birth control is no more acne!). I use covergirl's tinted moisturizure over concealer. I use a highlighting blush ( i think its neutragena ??spelling??) on my cheeks, a bit on my nose, chin and a bit above my brows. People always tell me I have beautiful skin and that I have a glowing complexion. (And NO, its not b/c i wear too much! In fact, I usually wipe a bit off in the end so that I dont look too finished)

I ALWAYS curl my eyelashes. Its not as painful as everyone thinks it looks. And I wear maybellines mascara but i cant remember the name! It has a new funky brush with tiny plastic nubs that keep them from clumping! It is sooooo fool proof!

I usually skip the eye shadow except for evening wear, and then I use Almays play it up collection for green eyes.

I wear a variety of different color eye liners, but I prefer to stick to pencils b/c they arent as messy as liquid. I do on occasion wear liquid when I am feeling kinda retro...like today! But it takes some practice.

Other than that, I usually skip lipstick in favor of filling in lips with liner, a coat of lipbalm, and then a coat of gloss- the new covergirl ones are pretty awesome and dont make your lips feel sticky!

I have used ALOT of different brands, and dont feel that expensive brands are neccessarily better. I HATE clinique, and dont really like lancome either. I dont like heavy make up, and I think some of it is geared towards older skin. I am having ugly flash backs of caked on make up and dry patches mixed with acne flare ups.

I dont think you should feel like you have to pay more money for your make up. You may just need new stuff. The age of your make up definitely affects how it wears on you!

Good luck on the "new you"!

Have an awesome cruise!

If I were you, I'd first go to an aesthetician and have them more thoroghly help you with your skin type. There really isn't any way to shrink pores, but you can make them less noticeable. Also, sometimes oily skin is aggravated and produces even more oil if the cleanser you are using is too harsh or if you are scrubbing your face too hard.

So, correct your skin before you start in on the makeup to go over it.

I'd also vote for a trip to Sephora, they have so many different products that can be tried out there. I don't know about their pay, if it is commission or not, but there may be less pressure there than a cosmetic counter in a department store. There is nothing wrong with department store counters, but until you know what products work best, don't be talked into buying a whole line.

I really don't like to give recommendations in regards to makeup, we're all so different and what works wonders for some is a disaster and a waste of money for the next person. But, I love makeup and I have everything in my bag from Avon all the way to Chanel.

Have fun with it :)

Sounds like you & I have similar skin & are around the same age. Of course each person is different but maybe I can help a little!

I personally love Philosophy products, but I'll try not to push that too much...I'll incluse other brands too!

What I consider basic are as follows:

1. good cleanser that removes all makeup - Purity by Philosophy is great, but I hear lots of people like Cetaphil for sensitive skin.

2. salicylic acid moisturizer (this will be anti-aging as well as help with oil production) Philosophy makes Hope in a bottle in this category, but I bet Neutragena has something as well.

3. Eye cream- I'd suggest something without mineral oil (this is one area where I do not reccomend Philosophy) I like Ilike St. John's Wort (high end organic) and Origins A perfect World eye cream (white tea)

4. mineral makeup with sunscreen- these are mostly powder based (might make you feel better about the oiliness) and lots of brands out there. Again, Philosophy makes a good one with a built in sponge, but I always hear good reviews from Bare Minerals users too. These types of foundations keep you looking natural but still even out skin tone!

5. Sunscreen for when you aren't wearing makeup- I really like Neutragena Healthy Defense oil-free sunblock.

Hope some of this is helpful, I know it kind of seems all over the place, but I don't believe you HAVE to go with all one line if you don't want to. I work in this industry & hear that all the time from people just trying to sell!

Here;s another vote for mix n match. I use Olay Total Benefits with salycic acid and then Clean n Clear Advantage stick on the occasional nasty pimples. Just bought Olay clay mask...weird color green but nice stuff.

Also, find a local Mary Kay rep and ask her for lessons/samples. I tried Mary Kay once about 20 years ago and just hated it. My next door neighbor started selling it last year and to be nice, I went to her opening party. Now I like their foundation, it's a totally different product.

Just bought some Sephora's own brand blush and powder and it's less than "department store" prices but more than "Drug store."

Good luck!

Melissa

Your skin and coloring sounds like mine in my (close to, I'm still hanging on to 29 until November! :) ) 30's. I recently went to the Clinique counter and had a wonderful lady demonstrate how to apply makeup and which colors to use. If you're a rookie, I highly recommend going this route to start off. It may take some trial and error with different brands, but at least you'll have the basic know-how to work with.

Several options for you. Like others have mentioned, you can go to your local dept store to get a consultation. I use and LOVE Clinique, and it's probably the most moderately priced brand. I get tons of compliments on my skin/makeup. At a minimum, you'll probably end up buying cleanser, toner, moisturizer (still need it with oily skin, just needs to be the right one), foundation, blush, mascara, a neutral lip color, and possibly powder if your skin is really oily.

Or you can contact Mary Kay. Process is basically the same. Their products are a bit more expensive, and you may have to wait to receive some of the products, but you can also do this in the privacy of your home.

A final option if money is a big concern is Walgreens. They have trained beauty advisors to help you pick out products. Some lines, such as L'Oreal and Neutrogena, are very similar to dept store cosmetics but cheaper.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll look great no matter what you do!

Your skin and coloring sounds like mine in my (close to, I'm still hanging on to 29 until November! :) ) 30's. I recently went to the Clinique counter and had a wonderful lady demonstrate how to apply makeup and which colors to use. If you're a rookie, I highly recommend going this route to start off. It may take some trial and error with different brands, but at least you'll have the basic know-how to work with.

Hey 30 isn't so bad;) Actually, I'm dreading 31 more:eek: , and I'm now closer to 31 than 30 (bday in January). You're absolutely right about getting the consultation. Once you know what colors you can use, you can branch out on your own and experiment a little more with other brands. I got a great gold eyeshadow at Victoria's Secret that I picked up on a whim...people love it! Have fun with experimenting!

Hey 30 isn't so bad;) Actually, I'm dreading 31 more:eek: , and I'm now closer to 31 than 30 (bday in January). You're absolutely right about getting the consultation. Once you know what colors you can use, you can branch out on your own and experiment a little more with other brands. I got a great gold eyeshadow at Victoria's Secret that I picked up on a whim...people love it! Have fun with experimenting!

Ok, I've got you by a few...going on 37 this year but still feel like i'm 20 something.

I agee about clinque...used it for years but i did switch over to mary kay. I have very oily skin and it's wonderful. i like having the sale girl come to my house without being in public with everyone watching. i told the lady upfront that i was on a budget and would have to do things in steps so it didnt break the check book...plus it works good that way with having to purchase things as you run out.

i would suggest making an appt for manicure and pedicure before you trip....

have fun with the new you!!!

Wow, I feel like I've hit the jackpot! I'm overwhelmed by everyone's thougtful advice and kindness. You've all provided me with a wonderful starting point.

I especially love the information about the more natural content products and the hint about using the moisturizer with the salycylic (sp) acid and sunscreen sounds great to help with creating a skin base. I've been using a skin cleanser with organic tea tree in it by Jason and a clay mask occasionally but I still get so oily, especially in the heat. My makeup, when I did wear it, used to kind of melt off. The way I'm looking at it is if I get the skin going good, whatever else I put on it will look that much better. I'm brunette but graying gracefully (at least in my opinion) and I have reddish tone on cheeks and forehead.

I have been rather hesitant about trying a store for a make over because I don't really want to be on display and feeling awkward but if I can find the right person I might reconsider. I've read quite a bit about the mineral products and some say they're the best and some say they're too difficult to work with. Practice is probably the key there. I have no problem purchasing different products for different applications. Not every brand can be good at everything.

Keep the lovely advice coming ladies and a heartfelt thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Have a beautiful day.

I would suggest Bare Escentuals. It is a mineral make-up. There are stores in your Chicagoland area; see below. They will do a make-over for you, show you how to put it on, and send you away with a card that shows exactly what they applied and where. It's a drawing of a face that the consultant will fill in. There stores are very customer friendly and you will not feel that you are on display, but will feel very taken care of. I just bought the 100% Moxy special and LOVE IT!!!! That said, you may want to go to a few different places for make-overs, then decide which make-up and pricing is for you.

Here are the Bare Escentuals stores in your area:

Water Tower Place

835 N. Michigan Avenue

Chicago, IL 60611

Oakbrook Center

57 Oakbrook Center

Oak Brook, IL 60523

Woodfield Mall

#K314 Woodfield Shopping Center

Schaumburg, IL 60173

Oh, please. Talk to me when you turn 41 as I just did. I'm starting to consider having Botox or collagen injections. I'm actually going to my derm today to have some moles removed and I'm going to ask her about it. Everyone tells me I look young for my age, but I know what I'm seeing in the mirror. Other people don't notice what I notice. :( The moisturizer I use made a big difference...but I still feel old.

I just started going to an aesthetician about a year ago. I am so glad I did. I agree with the advice from KS to go to a professional. Ask friends for recommendations. You won't regret it.

I have fair skin and tend to have clogging in the t-zone. With regular facials (every 8-12 weeks depending on the season) and a great cleanser and non comedegenic (sp?) cosmetics, I've eliminated it. I even get compliments on my skin! I have to admit, my Mom used Dial soap on her skin for years and had great skin too so genetics help!

I've started using a the MD formulations line. I use a glycolic cleanser that gently exfoliates and eliminates the clogging. I also use an eye cream religiously now. I also have tried some different, better quality make up lines. I love Laura Mercer and Trish McEvoy but I recently started using Jane Iredale mineral make up. My skin looks flawless and I feel like my skin can breathe. I went for a make up instruction session and purchased a few of the products. It was the best money I've spent on me of late and have received many compliments on my fresh new look.

Wow, I feel like I've hit the jackpot! I'm overwhelmed by everyone's thougtful advice and kindness. You've all provided me with a wonderful starting point.

I especially love the information about the more natural content products and the hint about using the moisturizer with the salycylic (sp) acid and sunscreen sounds great to help with creating a skin base. I've been using a skin cleanser with organic tea tree in it by Jason and a clay mask occasionally but I still get so oily, especially in the heat. My makeup, when I did wear it, used to kind of melt off. The way I'm looking at it is if I get the skin going good, whatever else I put on it will look that much better. I'm brunette but graying gracefully (at least in my opinion) and I have reddish tone on cheeks and forehead.

I have been rather hesitant about trying a store for a make over because I don't really want to be on display and feeling awkward but if I can find the right person I might reconsider. I've read quite a bit about the mineral products and some say they're the best and some say they're too difficult to work with. Practice is probably the key there. I have no problem purchasing different products for different applications. Not every brand can be good at everything.

Keep the lovely advice coming ladies and a heartfelt thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Have a beautiful day.

You might feel more comfortable visiting a counter earlier in the week if possible during the day, thats when they seem slowest!

Here are a couple of places that have Philosophy counters if you are interested ( I just checked & they all carry Clinique too)

1. macy's - state street

111 north state street

chicago, illinois 60602

(312) 781-1000 0.4

2. macy's - water tower

835 north michigan avenue

chicago, illinois 60611

(312) 335-7700 0.6

3. nordstrom - michigan avenue

55 east grand avenue

chicago, illinois 60611

(312) 464-1515 0.6

I have one quick comment about the mineral makeup. I have very oily skin, and I got the free sample from one of the companies (can't remember the name now but learned about it here on cc). I did a test in my home (wasn't even outside in the humidity), and the makeup dissolved within an hour. I tried every possible scenario - with and without a base moisturizer, heavy application of the powder, light application, etc. Nothing made it stay. Ironically, my face looks drier with liquid foundation. :rolleyes:

One thing you should do is wear sunblock of some sort. I wish I would have about 3 years ago. I just turned 50. I have this big freckle that just popped up one summer and it's on my cheek. I feel like it is what everyone sees when they see me. My friends and family said that isn't true. So whatever you decide to wear on your face, make sure you have an SPF in it or put on some sunblock. Maybe the kind for faces.

I am 35, have very oily skin, and still get occasional acne. Even though my skin is oily, I still get some flakiness so I have to use a light moisturizer before bed. I have experimented with a wide range of products and found the following products work the best for my skin.

Sunscreen: Clinique, Super City Block - oil free with spf 40; this is very light and works as a great base for foundation.

Foundation: Este Lauder, Equalizer

Powder: Clinque Loose powder

Blotting papers: Mary Kay Linen blotting papers. These are my favorite; I cannot imagine not having them for touch ups throughout the day. Once I put on my initial dusting of powder in the morning, I never reapply or it turns to cake. These are fabulous and cheap!!

Bedtime facial moisturizer: Mary Kay, oil-free hydrating gel or Zia, Ultimate Oil-Free Moisture

Morning eye cream: Derma E, Pycnogenol Eye Gel with green tea

Evening eye cream: Keys Soap, Eye Butter or Clinique, All About Eyes

I have one quick comment about the mineral makeup. I have very oily skin, and I got the free sample from one of the companies (can't remember the name now but learned about it here on cc). I did a test in my home (wasn't even outside in the humidity), and the makeup dissolved within an hour. I tried every possible scenario - with and without a base moisturizer, heavy application of the powder, light application, etc. Nothing made it stay. Ironically, my face looks drier with liquid foundation. :rolleyes:

Mineral makeup was a disaster for me. I have extremely sensitive skin and a bit of acne rosacea on my cheecks and chin. Mineral makeup was not only recommended here, but I'd read several articles on it. So, I purchased the trial size, used it once and my skind felt like it was on fire. I tried it again a couple of months later (must have forgotten :rolleyes: ), same thing, my skin itched and burned for 2 days even though I washed it off within minutes.

I gave the stuff to a friend who loved it.

So, do try it out in the store (Sephora) to see if it works for you first. I found that it also made my pores look larger. I followed the video, but maybe I applied it wrong. Life is too short to have to hassle learning how to use a particular makeup, either it works or it doesn't.

I'm so glad to find out that mineral makeup won't work on oily skin. I'm glad I didn't waste my money! Even though I'm 41 years old, my skin still produces alot of oil, especially in the summer. Could be the humidity that we have almost year-round. I guess I shouldn't be complaining...the oil might be holding off the wrinkles!! LOL. :D :p

I find that mineral makeup works great on my skin (which is still SUPER oily) I still have to use blotting papers once in the afternoon, but as long as I PRESS them onto the skin instead of wiping, the makeup stays put! I guess everyone has different results! I'd give them a try at least (maybe at Sephora if you have one near you) the sales people there are pretty knowledgable about all different brands & will apply it for you-no pressure to buy either. That way you can wear it for the day & see what happens!

I'm so glad to find out that mineral makeup won't work on oily skin. I'm glad I didn't waste my money! Even though I'm 41 years old, my skin still produces alot of oil, especially in the summer. Could be the humidity that we have almost year-round. I guess I shouldn't be complaining...the oil might be holding off the wrinkles!! LOL. :D :p

I'm 42 and have very oily skin and have been using the mineral makeup for about a year and a half and love the results.

Archived