difference between casual & informal (especially on HAL)?

jocelysue

HAL used to have formal, informal & casual nights in the dining room. Apparently it now has cut down to formal and dress casual (or some similar name). We will be sailing HAL and I'd really appreciate knowing what the new dress code really means.

Would someone please explain what is meant by dress casual? I've been following this board for some time now and still have not been able to quite figure out how to dress on non formal nights. Cannot really finesse the distinction between informal and casual.

Many posters seem to say that flip flops & Crocs are nono's as are jeans.I can understand about flip flops but what about high heeled ones? Also in my city jean suits (many cost upwards of $350 ) are considered quite chic especially those with fancy beading, that are brown, green, or even blue provided they are decorated. Capris are considered to be rather passé, and people who go out for dinner wouldn't want to wear them to a restaurant other than a family restaurant such as Denny's, Red Lobster, etc.

Would it be a question of geography and demographics? We are doing a Transatlantic cruise and cannot quite figure out whether we should be more American or more European stylewise. Personally, I like to wear short chiffon dresses, longish dresses or skirts, well cut pants with patterned jackets, but maybe I'd be overdressed that way and would do better with cotton pants.

I'm not being facetious. Really want to know because as most of you realize there are weight constraints inasfar as air travel is concerned. I must choose what to bring (and make sure it doesn't weigh too much) .When we're out in mid-Atlantic I don't want to have a V-8 moment and think I should have brought something else.

Thanks for your help. I'm counting on your advice

Dress casual would include what you said you normally wear:

Personally, I like to wear short chiffon dresses, longish dresses or skirts, well cut pants with patterned jackets,

You will look appropriate and will feel comfortable. Of course, thre will be others who may be less dressed than you, but it is better to err on the side of over-dressing than under-dressing IMHO. Have a wonderful cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

LBD = Little Black Dress.

On our HAL cruise last fall I wore a dress or skirt for all evenings, casual or informal (and a formal dress for formal night) I would not wear jeans at all, even your "nice city" jeans. I know caviargal cruises HAL quite a bit and has posted she'll wear nice dress pants and a shell/jacket (I'll have to double check that as I don't want to put words in her mouth;) ) on the non-formal nights on HAL. What you mention you like--short chiffon dresses, long skirts or nice pants would be perfect.

we've cruised HAL many times. With the deletion of the "informal" portion of the evening suggested dress, HAL has also removed the restriction of wearing jeans in the dining room on casual night. Despite what you read here capris, crocs, and sandals are also allowed in the dining room on HAL ships. I personally have seen people in shorts and t's turned away from the evening meal in the dining room on casual night, so those restrictions are still in effect.

Your wardrobe preferences sound perfect for HAL non-formal evenings and you will find many people similarly attired.

Have a great cruise!

I am a HAL cruiser and have been aboard two ships since the change in dress code.

Most passengers still dressed well for dinner. I personally did not see anyone in the dining room in jeans on either sailing.

I wore slacks with twin sets/nice tops or skirts on smart casual (this is the code, not casual) with heels and long dresses on formal nights. Men wore collared shirt and slacks and quite a few wore sport coats.

we did, personally, see people in jeans in the dining room at dinner. Not many, and I wouldn't choose to wear them, but there were a few. The point is that it is allowed on HAL and it's a personal choice. I would think much of it depends on the itinerary. You'd be more likely to see them on an Alaskan cruise than on a Caribbean, although that's were we saw them.

we did, personally, see people in jeans in the dining room at dinner. Not many, and I wouldn't choose to wear them, but there were a few. The point is that it is allowed on HAL and it's a personal choice. I would think much of it depends on the itinerary. You'd be more likely to see them on an Alaskan cruise than on a Caribbean, although that's were we saw them.

Things have changed then. On our HAL Alaska cruise in 2001 we hardly saw people wearing jeans even in the daytime and the few we saw were men.

Thanks ever so much all of you. Your answers have really helped me. I've cruised HAL but not since the change in dress code.

Will continue with my more classic style of dress and be happy with it. I was afraid I might have to go out and but new clothes because I'm not much of a sportswear person. Do not own jogging pants but do have many formal gowns. Guess I still like to play "dressup". Must go out & buy a LBD (LOL) though. It's a staple everyone should have. and that is sadly missing in my wardrobe. DH hates black so I've refrained from wearing it. Will make a stance though, and get one that is rather fun.

My little grandadaughters love to wear my fancy high heels when they come visit me. They walk around the house and pretend they are princesses, especially Cinderella. They also borrow the glitzy scarves I wear on cruises and carry arond my gold bags. However, I will wear Crocs and capris one night though. They gave their Grandad and me each a pair for Mother's Day & Father's Day. Said that Crocs were beautiful and that they knew we loved beautiful things. They chose the colours themselves (silver for me, navy for DH) and were thrilled to give them to us. So we will have our picture taken with them. Also with the capris my youngest daughter gave me telling me I had to loosen up a bit.

She didn't realize that capris were the rage centuries ago and that I'm all capri'd out.Plus I'm short and they look awful on me. However, I'm actually strating to accept the fact that what others think of my clothes is not all that important compared to the fact that the members of my family love me and want me to look great in their eyes.

O.K. I'm still debating whether I should let my hair go back to grey or keeping on helping nature a bit. Dy 7 year old granddaughter told me that "real grandmas" had grey hair. She even showed them to me in her story books. Howver, I'm not quite there yet. Clothes ,yes; hair......? Waht do you think? You've all been so very friendly and helpful.

I have only taken one HAL cruise but on informal night I dressed pretty much semi formal-but most women were in nice pantsuits and LBDs. Men just had on nice slacks with a blazer, most with ties.

Same here. I dress the same on semi formal and casual nights. I wear a top and a long skirt every night except formal nights.

Real grandma's are lively and cruise and have fun .. and pay ourtageous amounts to hairdressers to keep them looking that way .. At least that is what my grandkids would tell you !!!! When Grandma went from Red to BLONDE they said .. Wow you look even younger .. way to go Grandma ..

I should probably note that Great Grandma is still a Blonde at 86 with no plans to go Grey !!

So I vote for helping nature out !! ( unless of course you have that perfect head of steel grey hair that never seems to be out of place .. and I only wish for that )

HAL used to have formal, informal & casual nights in the dining room. Apparently it now has cut down to formal and dress casual (or some similar name). We will be sailing HAL and I'd really appreciate knowing what the new dress code really means.

Would someone please explain what is meant by dress casual? I've been following this board for some time now and still have not been able to quite figure out how to dress on non formal nights. Cannot really finesse the distinction between informal and casual.

Here is the information from the HAL website about the distinction between Formal and Smart Casual.

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

we've cruised HAL many times. With the deletion of the "informal" portion of the evening suggested dress, HAL has also removed the restriction of wearing jeans in the dining room on casual night.

If I understand correctly, there are no casual nites on HAL ... the nites that are not formal are described as Smart Casual, and HAL does suggest what that means. While HAL's guidelines may not prohibit jeans specifically, they also do not list them as suggested appropriate attire. So, I'm not certain that any ban has been lifted. Trousers and jeans are not the same thing, IMHO.

If I understand correctly, there are no casual nites on HAL ... the nites that are not formal are described as Smart Casual, and HAL does suggest what that means. While HAL's guidelines may not prohibit jeans specifically, they also do not list them as suggested appropriate attire. So, I'm not certain that any ban has been lifted. Trousers and jeans are not the same thing, IMHO.

On Royal Caribbean that means almost informal just a little below-on Princess smart casual just means casual-but you know as the pne person said, if you are dressed nicely you can't go wrong.

Archived