Hotels in Old San Juan?

TessM

I wanted to stay at the Sheraton in Old San Juan - but, it looks like it is sold out on Feb 22-2008.

I've never been to San Juan (my first time to the Carribean actually) and I'm unfamiliar with the various areas. I'm traveling solo and flying in the day before my cruise begins so I only need to find a room for one night.

I've search this forum and I understand that I should expect to pay quite a bit - and, I'm ok with that now. But, I need to know what other hotels are located in the Old San Juan area. If I'm going to pay several hundred $$$, then I want to make sure that I make a good choice.

Can you help?

Thanks!

TessM

I posted a thread awhile back with maps of OSJ and the hotels in the areas. It was titled "Need a hotel room..here's some maps to help you out". Check out the area and narrow your choices down. Read the reviews (here and TripAdvisor are usually where I ended up reading) and see what you think would work best. Good luck! :)

thanks...I found these when I did the initial search. I just guess I was expecting to see more hotels in the Old San Juan area.

these maps are a great help. Thanks for posting them.

I will second the El Convento Hotel-beautiful old world charm right in the heart of Old San Juan. Close to the forts and easy to walk all over old San Juan -Beautifully remodeled. We can't wait to go back:)

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere on here that if you call directly to the hotel then they will tell you if they have a room or not..also that most of the hotels want a 2 night min so they say that there is no rooms available,, you are better off calling direct to find out for sure if that is the hotel that you really want to stay at..

I had posted that if you are looking for one night where a hotel states that they have a two night minimum......to call the hotel directly.

SOMETIMES they will book one night...... depends on how booked they are, what time of year, if any festivals etc... luck of the draw sometimes.

But most have an 800 # so only investment is your time.

Also....try DA HOUSE. I have seen really good reviews of this place.

If you do a web search for it a link will come up.

Good luck.

PS We loved El Convento.....2 nights = @ $ 800.00 :eek: (Thanksgiving weekend)

If Old San Juan hotels are full, look at hotels in Condado / Isla Verde - these areas are easy to get to by Taxi

Condado Plaza, Marriott, Ritz, Intercontinental

the Da House hotel in Old San Juan does get good reviews and got a mention in the New York Times Frugal Traveller series - but I have heard that it can be noisey as it is above a cafe/bar

good luck with your search

Too funny -- your attitude is just like mine! I figure if I'm going to pay $$$ for a hotel, I might has well stay in a good one!

We're staying at El Convento 2/24/08... their website says they require a two night stay, but I called directly and they took my reservation for one night.

I mentioned in an email to my TA we were staying there and she said she could add that stay to the price of my cruise. It was actually a few dollars cheaper than booking directly with the hotel. When I called the hotel back to cancel the reservation I had made the woman I spoke with confirmed the cruise lines block out rooms for pre- and post- cruises.

My advice - if you're running into sold out or 2-night minimum situations, check with your travel agent or the cruise line to see if they can add your hotel.

Ann

TexasAnn: We also stayed 1 night thru cruiseline and 1 night on our own. We orginally booked 1 night with our cruise and then wanted to add another night but there were no rooms available thru the cruiseline.

when we got there we found out why. The room we had thru the cruiseline was not one with a view and in the back :( whereas the one we booked ourselves was a harborview and just a much better locale.

Same type of room - just better location. Just thought you would want to know if a view is important to you.

PS: Yes - we did have to move all our stuff......LOL

I agree with your way of thinking but there is also another way of looking at this.

If you stay at a quiant little place, you can take tours and spens more times doing other things. You know spend the day out.

1,caves with observatory

2. rain forest with luquillo beach

3. old and new asan Juan with museums

4, city of ponce with serrales mansion

If I'm going to pay several hundred $$$, then I want to make sure that I make a good choice.

This is the part I was remarking we have in common. I tried the Sheraton, the Hilton and the other more popular ones that people have suggested, and found they were sold out - even through my TA, calling the hotel directly, etc. Waiting until closer to cruise time might change all that possibly. But even so, I found that the Sheraton was charging $400+ per night once all the "resort" fees and such were added.

We don't arrive until close to 5pm and I figure tours are really out of the picture. I'd prefer to walk around the town and see Old San Juan, so that's why I settled on El Convento -- pretty much in the heart of Old San Juan. We'll be able to avoid additional taxi costs that way too. The price our cruiseline is charging us includes transfer from the airport to the hotel.

Texan- I wondered about that... getting a disappointing room by going through the TA. I'm hoping that after getting up at 4am to get to the airport here in San Antonio and traveling all day, we won't notice if we get a less than desireable room. :)

I just booked our hotel in San Juan for Feb. 10, one night, for our Feb. 11 cruise. We're at the Comfort Inn in the Condado area, price is right, $144 including all taxes! It's 3 miles from Old San Juan and since we've been there umpteen times won't need to sightsee. Anyway, we get in late on the 10th and will just go to bed. We usually stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan (when it was the Wyndam) but that's too pricey just for a bed!

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Hotel Pierre?

Yes, We have stayed at the BW Pierre. Small rooms, good service. Location is in a busy area and not to close to the beach or recreation. Easy to reach by cab from the airport and easy to cab to the pier.

Archived