Hilo Help

2cruz

Can anyone give me any ideas what I can do in Hilo as I've been here 2x already and have already done VNP, Rainbow and Akaka Falls. Not sure what Boiling Pots is. Can you give me a good route to spend day in port. I would also like to swim in "lava pools"?? Thanks ahead.

Get the BIG ISLAND REVEALED book. It will give you lots of information. We have also been to Hilo many times and are still finding new places to explore. South of Hilo the Puna area is very interesting, and there are lava pools down there. We drove through huge groves of papaya trees on our drive down there. Another interesting place is the Lava Tree State Park also on the way down. The Botanical Gardens are beautiful and along a 4-mile stretch of scenic road along the ocean north of Hilo. Have a great trip.

We did the Puna district last December. It was fabulous. To be honest, I didn't think it would thrill me (after spending time in VNP, up to Mauna Kea, and the Kona area on previous land trips), but it was wonderful.

beachchick

I am not Beachchick...but I can help you out with the Puna district....I live here!! Drive out Hwy. 130 to Pahoa..a small funky little town you might want to explore a bit...and then head down Hwy. 132 towards Kapoho. On the way you can stop at Lava Tree State Park and take a quick look around. Continue on toward Kapoho and make a right onto Hwy. 137. Just a bit down the road you can make a left onto Kapoho Kai rd. which will take you to the tide pools in Kapoho Vacationland..a little community. There is a beautiful reef for snorkeling and lots of little tidal pools for dipping in and cooling off. Just a mile or so further down the road you will see the Ahalanui Warm Pond (or the Hot Pond as it is known around here.) Take a dip in the hot pond and then continue along 137 (aka the "Red Road") toward Pohoiki and then follow the signs to Kalapana. There will be tons of photo ops along the way. This is a gorgeous drive on a winding one lane road along the ocean. At the end of the road you will come to a small parking lot. From here you can take a short hike across the lava field to a new black sand beach. No swimming here...but still very pretty to see. Also at the end of the road...across from the parking lot...is Verna's...a snack shack where you can get something to eat or drink. Good food and reasonable prices...we drive out here for lunch often.

From here you can hook back up with Hwy 130...and see where the lava crossed the road and closed it there in Kalapana. There is also the little church on the side of 130...that was moved out of the way of the lava around 1989...and now sits at its new location. You can then take 130 back toward Hilo.

Have fun....there is a lot to see and do in Puna.

I am not Beachchick...but I can help you out with the Puna district....I live here!! Drive out Hwy. 130 to Pahoa..a small funky little town you might want to explore a bit...and then head down Hwy. 132 towards Kapoho. On the way you can stop at Lava Tree State Park and take a quick look around. Continue on toward Kapoho and make a right onto Hwy. 137. Just a bit down the road you can make a left onto Kapoho Kai rd. which will take you to the tide pools in Kapoho Vacationland..a little community. There is a beautiful reef for snorkeling and lots of little tidal pools for dipping in and cooling off. Just a mile or so further down the road you will see the Ahalanui Warm Pond (or the Hot Pond as it is known around here.) Take a dip in the hot pond and then continue along 137 (aka the "Red Road") toward Pohoiki and then follow the signs to Kalapana. There will be tons of photo ops along the way. This is a gorgeous drive on a winding one lane road along the ocean. At the end of the road you will come to a small parking lot. From here you can take a short hike across the lava field to a new black sand beach. No swimming here...but still very pretty to see. Also at the end of the road...across from the parking lot...is Verna's...a snack shack where you can get something to eat or drink. Good food and reasonable prices...we drive out here for lunch often.

From here you can hook back up with Hwy 130...and see where the lava crossed the road and closed it there in Kalapana. There is also the little church on the side of 130...that was moved out of the way of the lava around 1989...and now sits at its new location. You can then take 130 back toward Hilo.

We're on the POAl in December and were just going over what we want to do based on prior visits and what we see on the Travel Channel etc. Are any of these ponds refered to as Champagne Pools/Ponds by tour companies? Aloha!

Champagne Pond is in our little gated community. The only way to get to the pond in a rental car is to park your car outside the gate and walk in....probably about a 1/2 mile walk. Even if you did manage to drive past the gate, there is no parking on the streets....so nowhere to park by the pond. So, it is definitely best to park outside and walk in.

There is a tour that goes to Champagne Pond and I believe it is called Secrets of Puna. It sounds like a very nice tour...but is very expensive. They drive to Champagne Pond across the lava fields by the ocean. They have large SUV's to drive over the lava. It is a brutal drive...and only for those who know the way and have the proper vehicle. We have taken our Honda CR-V on that drive, but it is not something we would probably do again....unless we were about to buy new tires!!

Thank you kapoho2!

I had some follow up questions:

1) I've read that Kapoho is on private property, would there be a problem getting here and is the snorkeling that great here?

2) Is the Hot Pond really "hot"? Is this just for swimming?

3) How far is the hike across the lava fields to the new black sand beach? Is the route fairly obvious?

4) When I do this itinerary, should I plan the entire day? I was also thinking of doing the scenic drive N. of Hilo??? Would you recommend?

5) I've read that Richardson had black sand beach, swimmable, on the way?

6) Was thinking of doing Punalu'u to see turtles also, will either of these 2 black sand beaches give me same experience??

Thanks so much!

Champagne Pond is in our little gated community. The only way to get to the pond in a rental car is to park your car outside the gate and walk in....probably about a 1/2 mile walk. Even if you did manage to drive past the gate, there is no parking on the streets....so nowhere to park by the pond. So, it is definitely best to park outside and walk in.

There is a tour that goes to Champagne Pond and I believe it is called Secrets of Puna. It sounds like a very nice tour...but is very expensive. They drive to Champagne Pond across the lava fields by the ocean. They have large SUV's to drive over the lava. It is a brutal drive...and only for those who know the way and have the proper vehicle. We have taken our Honda CR-V on that drive, but it is not something we would probably do again....unless we were about to buy new tires!!

Sounds like good advice. Thanks again for being so generous with the information.

You will be able to tell I have NO idea - but is it possible to combine that with a drive to VNP - or would that be stretching it time wise - as we only have the day??? If not is there someway we could combine a swim/snorkel enroute to/from VNP particularly in a warm/hot pond????

Thanks

Jane

You will be able to tell I have NO idea - but is it possible to combine that with a drive to VNP - or would that be stretching it time wise - as we only have the day??? If not is there someway we could combine a swim/snorkel enroute to/from VNP particularly in a warm/hot pond????

Thanks

Jane

No, it really is not combinable with going to VNP. You'd be in the car just driving all day long. These are not fast roads, and there's no reason to go to either VNP or the Puna district if all you plan to do is zoom around and not take the time to make plenty of stops. To do both VNP and Puna, you'd basically have to forgo nearly all stops, and you'd be watching your watch the whole day. Not a good way to enjoy the BI, IMO.

I'll let kapoho2 give you the definitive answer, but there is no snorkeling/swimming in warm/hot ponds "enroute" to VNP. The closest I know of would be about 20 fairly slow miles out of your way. So, I'd say no, but kapoho2 might have some better ideas for you. I can tell you that the route to VNP from Hilo is all inland.

2cruz: Listen to kapoho2 about your route for the Puna district. That's pretty close to what we did, except we did not go to the tidal pools, and we did take a couple of side roads. It was a wonderful day.

beachchick

beachchick is right...trying to do VNP and the tidepools in Kapoho is too much for one day. The drive from VNP to Kapoho is one hour. The drive from Kapoho back to Hilo is 35-45 minutes. Too much time wasted in the car for sure.

The tidepools at Kapoho Vacationland are open to the public. It is a bit of a walk over uneven lava rocks to get out to where the reef is. I have not seriously snorkeled here...but my husband tells me it is great and it never ceases to amaze him. Be warned that there is no sandy beach here...just lots of black lava.

Champagne Pond is in a private gated community...so it is not easy to access.

The Ahalanui Warm Pond is now a beach park run by the county. There are lifeguards on duty, picnic tables and porta-potties. There are also stone steps into the pond with railings....so this a great swimming place for those needing a little assistance getting in and out of the water. This pond is large and is usually a comfortable 91 degrees. Only if the waves are big on the east side and are breaking over the wall to the pond does the temperature vary. It is quite an interesting experience....which we enjoy almost daily!!

There is a beautiful black sand beach in Kehena...which is along the red road. However, access to this beach requires climbing down rocky steps on the side of a cliff. This beach is also clothing optional...so be prepared :o Not really good for swimming....the currents can be strong and dangerous. But it is beautiful to say the least.

The new black sand beach out at Kalapana requires a walk of about 20 minutes over a very recent lava flow. The hike is not difficult....there is no up or down....one just has to watch their step as there are cracks in the lava, etc. Many, many tour companies are doing this hike as part of their tours now....so I see folks of all ages heading out.

Richardson's Beach in Hilo has a nice little black sandy area. I would not call it an expansive black sand beach....but it is a great place for some photos and a quick dip. It is not far from the cruise ship pier...although not walkable.

Punalu'u is a gorgeous black sand beach but is about 1 hr. 45 minutes from Hilo. If you are going to VNP...then Punalu'u is 45 minutes beyond the park. Folks are doing both in the same day. Punalu'u is really more of a photo op than a swimming day at the beach.

I guess what it boils down to is that no matter what direction you head on the Big Island, you will see some incredible sights and beautiful scenery. It is just all very spread out....that is why they call it the Big Island :D

kapoho2,

Your ideas sound better to me than all that I've read about VNP! We have never been to Hawaii, in our planning stages now. I'm just not really sure that I'm interested in going to VNP and looking at a bunch of ugly barren ground. (?) I keep reading how it is not to be missed, but won't I get some ideas of volcanos all over Hawaii, and in places you suggest, without taking the time out of our itinerary to go to VNP?

Thanks Kapoho2 and Beachchick!! (and OP for posting this quesiton....) This is the info I've been looking for. We've been to Hilo and did the usual stops the 1st time (did really liked VNP) but ready for something different. Looking for going back and most likely will check out Puna!! Thanks for the directions and info!....

Ok got any ideas for Kona??? :)

Michele

Thank you so much kapoho2 and beachchick!

We will definitely be doing this itinerary on our upcoming cruise.

How deep is the water at the hot pond and Kapoho? I have children and am assuming everything is safe?? Should we plan an entire day for this trip or can I also realistically add scenic drive N. of Hilo or possibly a few stops before returning rental back in Hilo such as Island candies, etc...

Great thread, thanks Kapoho2, Beachchick and OP.

Maybe I can jump in on this thread and ask you "experts" some BI questions.

1) We have deicded to do VNP during our day in Hilo. In case it doesn't take us all day what would you suggest we could do if we have a few hours after VNP? Just want a back up plan. We are open to a beach where we could swim and snorkel if possible or just seeing the beauty of the area, waterfalls or something else of interest I think I read about a nut farm, is that worth a visit? Anything like that.

2) We will rent a car for VNP and my girlfriend is wondering if there are park guides at the park to show us things? I don't remember reading anything about any.

3) As Mstaczek97 said, do you have any great ideas for Kona? Or that might be another thread.

Thanks for all the great info you provide us!!!

These are notes from beachchick, donna and many others and I thank them.

Kona

Shave Ice

Snow cones are more crushed, shave ice is shaved. The flavor stays and it just tastes a little better overall. Smoother. In kauai there is a store at the end of nawiliwili park before the marriott, and the best place IMHO is in Kona. Hundreds of flavors. Once you get off the tender, take a right hand turn and walk next to the water about 3 min till you see a "shave ice" sign on the other side of the road. Its very good. I love it because its cheap, can be big and just cools you down! Heres mine from my last cruise on the Wind, lemon lime.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Picture236.jpg

Another thing to try in Kona are the "Kona Donkey Balls." Chocolate and mac nuts at this local place.

The shave ice place near the Kona pier is called Scandinavian Shaved (yes!!) Ice. Strange name....but delicious. It is across the street from the pier and just down about a block. You will see folks walking around enjoying theirs...just follow the crowd. YUM!!

Mokuaikaua Church

Ali'i Drive

Kailua-Kona

808-329-0655

This is the site of the first Christian church built in Hawaii. The land was given to the missionaries by King Kamehameha III and the initial church was completed in 1820. The original structure was made of thatch under the direction of Asa Thurston, one of the first missionaries.

This coral church was built by Governor Kuakini in 1837. The lava rock in the structure came from a 15th Century heiau that once stood on this land.

It is reported to have taken 4,000 men to crush the coral, make the mortar and construct the church.

The interior is simple, but elegant, made of native koa wood. The Royalty of Hawaii were separated from the commoners by 4 kahilis which represented the major Hawaiian islands.

The stone archway entrance leads from the street to the church grounds. The arch is made from lava stones.

Useful Information:

• Open daily 7:30 to 5:30

• FREE admission

• Tours available

• Artifacts and memorbilia housed in the back of the church

Other Historical Churches located nearby:

Kahikolu Church

Mokuaikaua Church

St. Benedict's Catholic Church

St. Peter's Catholic Church

DIRECTIONS:

Located in downtown Kailua-Kona on Ali'i Drive across the street from the Hulihe'e Palace.

Small museum located in the vestibule of the church houses historical and religious artifacts from the early 1800's.

Model of the Thaddeus, the ship which brought the first missionaries from Boston to Hawaii in 1819. The trip took 164 days and rounded the dangerous Cape Horn

Princess Tours

http://www.princess.com/shorex/shorexdisplay.jsp?resPortId=KOA&resTradeId=H&tempresTradeId=H&tempresPortId=KOA

Dolls

The shop is called Lamont's Gifts. It is at the Orchid at Mauna Lani. Phone is (808) 885-3610. There are some shops in Honoka'a that also have a few pieces, but I don't remember which ones, sorry. Gwin called and these are not collectable dolls to her.

Macnuts

Spent most of my time in Kona and found the best nuts there at the farmers market near where ships tender. There was a vender selling Kona Marie's Farm macnuts for I think $9 for a lb. What made them unique was that are the largest macnuts I have seen, about 20% larger than mauna loa or whatever else you see in the stores. Think of a large marble. They have a more buttery taste than other macnuts I ate, are fresh and perhaps because of their size, a very nice crunch!

Also, while you are there, buy a few local grown bananas- they are much better than the enano variety that we get in the 'states.

Glass Bottom Boat

http://www.konaglassbottomboat.com/factsht.htm

We depart Kailua Pier hourly, commencing at 10:30am. We are available for private parties, family gatherings, weddings, sunset cruises, exclusive whale watches (in season) and other special functions upon request. We can carry up to 24 passengers comfortably.

If you would like to arrange a special event or gathering, E-mail, call or write to:

Captain Ralph Jewell

P.O. Box 112, Holualoa, HI 96725

(808) 324-1749

e-mail: info@konaglassbottomboat.com

• Administrators

I love the ideas in this thread and in the compilation Stargazer posted. We loved Hilo the best of all our stops, even though all we "did" there was visit VNP and the mac nut factory. That's number one on our list for when we return to Hawaii, a week on the Big Island (maybe more) -- we want to visit VNP again, plus the waterfalls, the tsunami museum, Banyan drive, the scenic drive, and now I have a bunch of other ideas too! Thanks all for contributing!

To Rangermom, you know best how you want to spend your vacation time, but I will say that for us VNP was not-to-be-missed and we still feel that way even after spending our whole Hilo day there. It's not "ugly and barren" as you might be picturing -- this isn't "ground" -- it's lava, and it's not lifeless -- it's amazing to see how much life has a foothold even among the lava and steam vents. No, it's not the verdant green landscape you see in so much of Hawaii -- it's different, and more primitive -- and it's also how all of the islands were born. Most things at VNP aren't something you can see elsewhere (except maybe for the caldera at Haleakala) because VNP contains the only volcano in Hawaii that is currently active.

Many people here feel that VNP is a definite must-do for first time Hawaii visitors, and I'd agree with them. There was a recent thread about just this question, in fact. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=590911 Even people who have gone there expecting to hate it have been fascinated -- I know we were. I'd encourage you to read some reviews and reports about it and all there is to do there (the Thurston lava tube, steam vents, the Jagger Observatory, Chain of Craters road, various hikes -- both short and long, etc) and look at some pictures and video at sites like youtube and webshots before you decide against it.

I agree that if you only have one day in Hilo....go to VNP. I am stunned by the beauty of it every time we go up there. We drive up there every chance we get. We have visitors arriving tomorrow and they will only be here for one one whole day . We plan on taking them up to VNP for most of the day and then maybe a drive along the red road on our way home if time permits. But, VNP is ALWAYS on the top of the list of things to show folks.

Here is a link to some of the beachs and ponds on the Big Island. Ahalanui Park, Hawaii You can see Ahalanui (the hot pond) and some of the Kapoho Tide Pools. Ahalanui is deep in some parts...over my head...and in other parts I can stand if the tideis low. The Kapoho tide pools vary from just a few inches deep to very deep...depending on the tide.

It would certainly be possible to tour around Puna and then see some other sights on the way back to Hilo and in the Hilo area. The Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory is fun for a quick stop. There are also some beach parks on the same road as the pier. Just pass the pier and keep going on Kalanianaole Ave. and you will come to the different beach parks on the left. Rainbow Falls, although not spectacular, are very pretty and just on the outskirts of downtown.

If you will be spending you day at VNP, you will be given a great map of the park. If you plan on exploring other areas on your own, pick up a copy of The Big Island Revealed and let that be your guide.

kapoho2 - thanks for the info on Richardson Beach. We are thinking about stopping there on the way back (depending on time) after our day at VNP.

I've been to VNP but the kids haven't. The Puna area also intriques me but since this trip is for the kids I'll have to save Puna for another time.

Pat

Here is a link to some of the beachs and ponds on the Big Island. Ahalanui Park, Hawaii You can see Ahalanui (the hot pond) and some of the Kapoho Tide Pools. Ahalanui is deep in some parts...over my head...and in other parts I can stand if the tideis low. The Kapoho tide pools vary from just a few inches deep to very deep...depending on the tide.

It would certainly be possible to tour around Puna and then see some other sights on the way back to Hilo and in the Hilo area. The Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory is fun for a quick stop. There are also some beach parks on the same road as the pier. Just pass the pier and keep going on Kalanianaole Ave. and you will come to the different beach parks on the left. Rainbow Falls, although not spectacular, are very pretty and just on the outskirts of downtown.

Thanks for the website...very helpful!!

Archived