Thousands of us need this question answered!!!

Soprrrano

:o Every TA claims that they have the lowest prices and the highest onboard credit. Everyone on these boards say "My TA is the best and gets me the lowest prices." But how they know? I almost feel as if I'm buying a car where all these dealerships are selling the exact same car, but they all say they have the best price and will throw in more extras for free. It also reminds me of finding a good voice teacher. Anyone can hang up a shingle and say they are a voice teacher, but does that mean they are the best? -Far from it sometimes and the student is ALWAYS none the wiser. They may even have an advanced degree in voice, and still not know what they are doing.

Does anyone know their real connection for discounts, why some would actually have a better price, or are they all about the same? I feel for them because everything is online now and things can be booked without them. If they are all the same, I would probably pick the TA that is the poorest and saddest, who needs the work more before I would pick the flashiest TA or company, just like I would pick out the saddest mangiest dog at the pound to adopt instead of a show dog. -That is just me.

Does anyone have any real answers as far as how to find the best TA? I understand that it all depends on what you need. Honestly, with all the seasoned travelers on this Cruise Critic board, I get all the answers I need from which trip to take and any other travel question I have. I don't need any help planning the trip and I do not have any questions about the areas that will be visited, because I can either do the research myself, or someone on these boards will have great and varied answers.

When we were booking a trip to Ireland, we bought it through a TA, but instead of putting us on a direct flight from Los Angeles to Dublin on an Irish airline, she put us on a big commerical airline which routed us though Chicago, thus making the flight 12 hours long instead of a 7 hour direct flight. Plus the cost of the flight was more expensive and an obvious pain to be traveling so long, with layovers when it was not necessary. Why? Because she did not have any connections or get bonuses from the smaller airline from Ireland, only with the commercial airlines. So, this experience has made me wary of TAs because I realized that my comfort and expense was not the priority for them and it would have been better for me to book it myself. Until I find one I can trust, I am more comfortable booking it myself. On our cruise to Alaska, we used a relatives' TA to get them more bonuses for the referal.

Now, does anyone know why one would have a better price and bonuses than another? Does anyone have the REAL definative inside scoop as to why one TA would get better deals than another other than "Mine is the best" or "I will get the best deals for you"? I would like to find a great TA just like I found a great auto mechanic and a great voice teacher. Is it hit and miss until you find a good one? Does anyone know the right questions to ask a potential TA? When I start asking them questions, they seem offended like, "How can you not trust me?" Well, it's because I don't know you. Did anyone see the latest episode of THE CLOSER on TNT last night? There was a real estate agent who's motto was "Gary doesn't lie." Well it turned out that Gary does lie -a lot.

I'm rambling. I'll stop. If anyone has real answers, it would help out thousand of us! Thank you in advance.:o

When we were booking a trip to Ireland, we bought it through a TA, but instead of putting us on a direct flight from Los Angeles to Dublin on an Irish airline, she put us on a big commerical airline which routed us though Chicago, thus making the flight 12 hours long instead of a 7 hour direct flight. Plus the cost of the flight was more expensive and an obvious pain to be traveling so long, with layovers when it was not necessary. Why? Because she did not have any connections or get bonuses from the smaller airline from Ireland, only with the commercial airlines. So, this experience has made me wary of TAs because I realized that my comfort and expense was not the priority for them and it would have been better for me to book it myself. Until I find one I can trust, I am more comfortable booking it myself. On our cruise to Alaska, we used a relatives' TA to get them more bonuses for the referal.

TA's do not get perks from airlines any longer. Did you question the connection prior to booking?

No, I did not question the connection prior to booking because I thought that the TA's job was to find the most direct route and the best price. Am I wrong? Then why did she book us on a flight that was longer and more expensive? She told me that there were no direct flights from Los Angeles to Ireland and that one always had to go through a city like Chicago and since she was a professional TA, I believed her. I found out on my own that Aer Lingus has a direct flight from LAX to DUB and was furious that she had put us on United instead, routing us through Chicago.

I had to assume that she had some kind of connection or got bonuses with United. Are you saying that TAs get absolutely nothing from airlines now?

Thank you for responding. Since I am trying to get real answers for everyone, then can you tell me if the following true so far?

1. The TA gets absolutely nothing from booking one airline over another.

2. The TA's job does not include finding the most direct flight at the best price. If this is something you want them to do, you have to ask them.

Thank you for your time! It is appreciated by all who are reading this.

I use a site that allows TAs to compete for a particular cruise. Found a great agent that way but I still go to the site each time so that I can tell my agent is doing good.

Then I go through my concerns with that TA carefully:

I ask for full fee disclosure expecially for changes and cancellations. I've had to do a change twice. I get them to tell me what the cruise line will charge and what they will charge. Also many have a booking fee that they don't consider part of the cruise quote, duuuuhhhh.

I double check the full price. confirm the deposit amount, the remaining amount and the full amount. All dates involved when final payment is due and the different penalty periods and the exact dates.

the better informed you are up front, the better you can be a getting what you want at the price you want. If you don't do the work up front, then you will be at the mercy of the TA and have to hope they do a good job determining what is best for you.

Good luck!

Maybe your TA was trying to get you a cheaper flight. Direct flights are usually more expensive than those with connecting flights. A TA deals with many customers. It is impossible for a TA to guess what each client wants unless the clients convey their wishes. Now, if the client is a frequent repeat customer, then yes, the TA should know the preferences from that particular client.

Bottom line is we need to communicate more instead of expecting everything our way automatically.

Airlines worldwide not longer pay a single cent of commision - if the TA has to earn anything on the flight then they have to add their own booking fees.

What I don't understand is why you didn't query the flight she had choosen. Over an above that direct flight are often more expensive than ones via a hub. Good example was our flight in January Frankfurt, Germany to LAX - the cheapest direct tickets was € 1.125,- plus taxes and fees the Continetal flight via Newark was only € 699.- plus taxes and fees. Since there were 10 of us going that was quite a number and no bets which flight we chose. In the end we even had to laugh because due to inclement weather we actually beat the dierct LH flight to LAX!!!

Everyone is at a different experience level in their travel experience. At one point and time, we were all inexperienced and we all made mistakes. Hopefully, we learn from those mistakes. Perhaps OP was not an experienced traveler at the time and (reasonably) depended upon her Travel Professional to be looking after her best interest.

She has learned to do more research so all was not lost. It was inconvenient and a little more costly for her at the time but it will never happen to her again.

I've made mistakes in travel through the years and it wasn't the end of the world. I learned from them.

I could have posted the exact same thing Sail did. Buying a cruise is like buying anything else - the more you know, the more informed you can make yourself, the better off you will be. We've picked up valuable information through participating on this site, speaking with our fellow travelers, and most importantly, doing our own research and back-checking what TA's might have told us. The investment of time pays off. Sometimes handsomely. A little luck and fortuitous timing doesn't hurt either. :) Of course, when you plan and prepare for yourself, you create your own luck.

Shop around. Ask questions. Read what others have to say. Be a smart customer.

It is possible, that on the day that you wanted to fly out of LAX, that your TA was correct.

Aer Lingus does not fly LAX-DUB every day, or DUB-LAX every day.

This flight is only four days a week.

But, your TA should have told you that, and offered you options.

Also, nonstop LAX-DUB is a ten-hour flight, not seven, so going through Chicago added only two more hours to your flight.

Just trying to make you feel better about it...

Does anyone have any real answers as far as how to find the best TA? Is it hit and miss until you find a good one?

I think you answered your own question. The first moment you speak with a TA you will probably have a good idea if he\she is willing to work with you, finding the best rate, and answering all your questions....If you feel uncomfortable you know you need to look further. It's "Hit or Miss".

Now, does anyone know why one would have a better price and bonuses than another?

They are usually called "Cruise Brokers" "Travel Brokers" "Cruise Operators"

They have excellent standards, directly with Cruise Lines. Cruise lines give them discount prices because they sell high volume. In return The TA passes the savings down to their clients.

It's good to book with this type of Agent because they have the "ins" with the Cruise Lines....Making changes to your booking, upgrades, discounts, little perks.

Does anyone have the REAL definative inside scoop as to why one TA would get better deals than another other than "Mine is the best" or "I will get the best deals for you"?

See the answer above...(Same question ---:rolleyes:)

Soprrrano,

I hope I answered your questions.

Everyone is at a different experience level in their travel experience. At one point and time, we were all inexperienced and we all made mistakes. Hopefully, we learn from those mistakes. Perhaps OP was not an experienced traveler at the time and (reasonably) depended upon her Travel Professional to be looking after her best interest.

She has learned to do more research so all was not lost. It was inconvenient and a little more costly for her at the time but it will never happen to her again.

I've made mistakes in travel through the years and it wasn't the end of the world. I learned from them.

Also, you need to remember that every travel agent has his or her first day of work. Some of them may be selling things they've never experienced and, sadly, a lot of them don't seem to have good knowledge of geography. Developing a good rapport with a travel agent is definitely worth it. Ours always gives us a call after major trips and she takes notes to use with other clients. She wants to know every detail. I will often get an email from her asking the name of the great tour I did in Kauai or the name of the great fish and chip shop we found in London. She then shares that info with her clients and we all benefit.

I don't want to generalize, but it seems that TAs who have offices in department stores have a big turnover. They seem to have a lot of inexperienced people. I've also had bad service from a large service affiliated with my credit card, though.

Example: I want to go someplace warm, but not Florida. "How about Key West?"

-I want to go to the Bahamas but not Nassau. "How about Paradise Island?"

Viv

Thanks, Kyle for correcting the length of the flight. LAX to DUB is 10 hours on a direct flight and 11 hours back. The 7 hours is actually the flying time from Chicago to Dublin. Thanks for correcting me. Also, one of the reasons I was miffed is that not only was the flight direct, it was also hundreds of dollars cheaper!!!

So what we know so far:

1. Travel agents do not receive any benefits whatsoever by booking one airline over another.

2. You cannot assume anything and need to tell the TA if you're looking for the absolute lowest price, or a direct flight, or want one long direct flight so that you can a full 8 hours sleep on the plane instead of many small flights. Everyone has different preferances and TAs cannot possibly know what your are unless you've worked with them many times before.

3. Ask for full fee disclosure especially for changes and cancellations. Get them to tell you what the cruise line will charge and what they will charge including their booking fee, which they may not include upfront.

4. Double check the full price with other online agencies to see if your TA is in the ballpark.

5. Confirm the deposit amount, the remaining amount and the full amount. All dates involved when final payment is due and the different penalty periods and the exact dates.

6. The better informed you are up front, the better you can be a getting what you want at the price you want. If you don't do the work up front, then you will be at the mercy of the TA and have to hope they do a good job determining what is best for you. You make your own luck!

7. The first moment you speak with a TA you will probably have a good idea if he\she is willing to work with you, finding the best rate, and answering all your questions....If you feel uncomfortable you know you need to look further. It's "Hit or Miss". If your TA is confident in their abilities, they will not mind that you are shopping around.

8. The big companies are usually called "Cruise Brokers" "Travel Brokers" "Cruise Operators". They have excellent standards, directly with Cruise Lines. Cruise lines give them discount prices because they sell high volume. In return the TA passes the savings down to their clients.

It's good to book with this type of Agent because they have the "ins" with the Cruise Lines....Making changes to your booking, upgrades, discounts, little perks.

Thank you, again, for your time and honest answers! It is appreciated by all who are reading this.

Hi Soprrrano

I fly Aer Lingus LAX-DUB annually.

They're my first choice for flights to the UK, as their fares are typically lower than the major airlines.

When flying to/from England or Scotland, there is a layover in Dublin, but it's worth the extra 90 minutes or so for the better fares.

If you do find yourself flying out of Dublin, remember that US immigration is done there at the airport in Dublin, rather than the US, so factor that into your waiting time at the airport. :rolleyes:

(something every TA should know...)

With research and calling the cruiselines directly, can anyone get the discounts and onboard freebies without being a TA? Or can only TAs get the perks for you? I would imagine that the reason cruiselines give TAs perks is because they recommend their cruise line over another. Is this right?

I copied the following from another thread from jlp20. Does everyone agree with this and should I add it to our list of truths some of it which we already have?

1. Travel agents get paid to put your butt in a train, bus, plane, hotel, resort or cruise.

2. Most of the money they see comes from you the customer in the form of commission. It’s worked into the price so you never see it.

3. When a travel agent becomes “official”, the private agency issues a number or code to that T/A. When the T/A makes reservations, the code is used and a lower price is charged. The customer pays the “full” quoted price, the T/A passes on the lower fee and keeps the rest.

4. Cruise lines will not allow T/A’s to do deep discounts as they once did a few years ago. If you research the subject on these boards you will find it.

5. One of the “perks” of being a T/A is using the “code” for their own travel. That plus knowing special deals result in very cheap travel. In addition, they get freebies. Such as when there is a new ship put into service. There is usually a “cruise to nowhere”. T/A’s get a two or three night free cruise to let them learn about ship.

6. Not all T/A's know what their doing, most are pretty good. You can become self educated so that you can get a better "deal" on your own.

BTW, Thanks again, Kyle. I too love Aerlingus because it is direct and often at least $200 less.

With research and calling the cruiselines directly, can anyone get the discounts and onboard freebies without being a TA? Or can only TAs get the perks for you? I would imagine that the reason cruiselines give TAs perks is because they recommend their cruise line over another. Is this right?

I copied the following from another thread from jlp20. Does everyone agree with this and should I add it to our list of truths some of it which we already have?

In answer to your questions:

1. Travel agents get paid to put your butt in a train, bus, plane, hotel, resort or cruise.

A. True - Because agents are no longer compensated for their time and effort for booking airline tickets they usually charge a fee for this. Also, commissions from the other areas have come down in many areas so many will charge a fee regardless of what you book. Remember, in many cases if you cancel, the agent has done all the work for nothing so the booking fees help cover their time. If you book with an agent the agent will receive a portion of that fare as compensation from the retailer but if you book direct the cruise line/hotel etc keeps that portion as extra profit.

2. Most of the money they see comes from you the customer in the form of commission. It’s worked into the price so you never see it.

A. See above

3. When a travel agent becomes “official”, the private agency issues a number or code to that T/A. When the T/A makes reservations, the code is used and a lower price is charged. The customer pays the “full” quoted price, the T/A passes on the lower fee and keeps the rest.

A. Agencies are given identification numbers from 2 places the Airline Association and the Cruise Line Association. This is what the different travel suppliers use to easily identify and keep track of different agencies. Travel Agencys negotiate lower rates with the suppliers with whom they do the most business. Sales volume. Occasionally, the supplier will extend a special offer or discount for the agency to extend to their clients. Agencies can also secure lower rates by blocking group space on different sailings when the prices first come out. Many times the prices are lower for groups and they can add amenities. If there is a price reduction in your fare after you booked, every honest agent I know of passes it on to the client. The cruise lines usually will not just lower a booked fare because of a new promotion. The client has to request it. Many good agents keep track of lowering fairs and do the negotiating for their clients. Good honest agents will only charge you what the cruise line charges. If you are not sure, ask to see the confirmation from the cruise line.

4. Cruise lines will not allow T/A’s to do deep discounts as they once did a few years ago. If you research the subject on these boards you will find it.

A. This is true for most lines.

5. One of the “perks” of being a T/A is using the “code” for their own travel. That plus knowing special deals result in very cheap travel. In addition, they get freebies. Such as when there is a new ship put into service. There is usually a “cruise to nowhere”. T/A’s get a two or three night free cruise to let them learn about ship.

A. Nothing in this world is free. Even for these "Free" preview cruises agents pay taxes, port fees, onboard expenses etc and their own cost of getting there. Plus, they usually have to attend seminars and classes as well. It is how we learn about the products first hand.

6. Not all T/A's know what their doing, most are pretty good.

A. This is true in every industry. You have your "newbies" and your experts. You can become self educated so that you can get a better "deal" on your own.

A.Travel Agents learn about travel for a living and are emersed in it on a daily basis. It is more then just booking the trip, it is the professional research, support and and continued assistance from that first phone call to your return home. Evaluate the deal price next to the value of the service if there is a price difference and think about who will be going to bat for you if there is a problem. If the savings out weigh the service you know what to do :rolleyes:

A few tips on finding a good agent:

1. Ask questions. Ask them about their experience, how long they have been in the business, what types of trips they typically book.

2. Find out what their office hours are and what modes of contact are available to you. Do they have a call back policy and what is it? 24 hrs or less or when they get around to it?

3. Tell them about yourself. What you like to do when you travel, who you travel with, where you have traveled in the past and what you liked, disliked about it. What your expectations are for this trip etc. Everything you think would give then a glimpse of your personal style and preference. Be very honest about what you want. We aren't mind readers!

4. If your agent responds to your life story with enthusiasm and asks more questions, you have someone who is truly interested in you and what they can learn about you to better match you up with the right vacation. If they cut you off or seem disinterested, move on.

5. After you receive the quote ask them if there are any other fees not included in the quote. A good agent will provide a quote with the total cost of the whole trip. Or they will explain what is not included such as tips, along with the quote.

6. They should respond in a timely manner and answer all questions quickly and clearly. They should let you know when to expect a response.

7. If the agency you work with is large it is helpful to call from time to time to ask about price reductions. A good agent will happily check for you. Many will keep an eye out for you on their own but this can be difficult if they handle a lot of customers at once.

8. Remember, how you treat your agent is how they will treat you. Value them and they will greatly value you!

Happy cruising!

As far as the flights, unless you checked and priced the AL flight the exact same day/minute the TA booked your United flight, you're comparing apples to oranges. If all you told her was to get you the best, cheapest deal, then that's probably what she did. It is VERY possible and likely the nonstop flight was priced higher, or not available on your day of travel. Most TAs get nothing from the airlines, so there is no incentive to book one over the other. Try pricing a flight to FL over the course of 2 days and see how many times it changes.

Your TA should ask lots of questions and get to know you. Remember, what you read as a cheap price on here, may not be the best fit for you. A TA should get to know you and fit you with the right cruise/flight/hotel. And you need to communicate with the TA. They can't read your mind. So if you want cheapest, but really mean, cheapest AND nonstop, you need to tell them that.

Your best value will be with a TA that is working for you. That doesn't always mean the lowest fare. Sometimes you gotta shop around till you find the right person.

And I've traveled the world staying at resorts and on cruises, and I read PLENTY of wrong misinformation on this board. Don't believe just because you did your research on CC, that it's correct.

Archived