Venice - porters to hotels in St. Mark's area

We are doing our own pre-cruise package in Venice prior to our Royal Princess cruise on Sept 29. There are 8 of us staying at a hotel near St. Mark's Square and we have decided to pay for the water taxi to the hotel area or St. Mark's after our long flight from CA rather than dealing with the bus and valparettos.

Here is my question. Once we arrive at St. Mark's water stop ( I don't believe our hotel has a water taxi stop) will there be public porters who can transport the luggage to our hotel? If so, what is the going rate? OR do we just lug our bags ourselves?

Can the water taxis go to a closer hotel stop than St. Mark's if there is a closer stop to our hotel? How does that work? Do we just tell them the hotel and the water taxi person gets us as close as possible? I am traveling with some people who may have difficulty dealing with luggage, so I want to know what to expect.

Thanks for any first hand knowledge you can give.

You can catch a water taxi from the Venice airport to your hotel. Double check with your hotel if it has a water top or, if not, where the nearest square is (if it's other than St. Mark Square). If there is a closer stop/square than St. Mark then tell your driver and he will drop you off there.

I doubt your hotel will send a porter (but it can't hurt to ask) and I wouldn't trust to hire someone random. There are lots of gypsies begging, especially in St. Mark Square so you have to be on guard. If you have to bring your own bags then make sure it has wheels! Wheels are a must! Don't overpack either because there are lots of steps and bridges in Venice.

Another suggestion I have is to ask if your hotel if it has an elevator. The hotel I stayed at is 4 stores (no elevator) and they transported our luggage on the motorized handicap chair. It took awhile, but hey, we didn't have to drag it up four flights of stairs.

The best option is certainly to go with the water taxi directly to the hotel.

If this is not possible you can use official public porters. These can be found at San Marco as well as at several other places like the train station, Accadamia or Rialto.

Two or three years ago the prices were 10 € for one piece, 15 € for two pieces and 20 € for three or four.

Thanks for the reminder about the gypsies. Thanks also for the note on Official porters at San Marco. Pretty steep charges, but with older folks who might not want to drag bags at least that is an option. Was there a booth or kiosk or something that you went to to obtain these "official porters"?

We used a porter several years ago, and it was arranged by our hotel. Honestly, I would recommend that you change to a hotel with a water taxi dock in your situation. Pulling luggage even a short distance in Venice is not fun--been there, done that, and will not do it again! I know you are looking for alternatives to that anyway. The Metropole is fabulous (we have stayed at over a dozen hotels in Venice over the years so can offer some other suggestions, if needed). That being said, our hotel arranged for our porter, and we were charged 30 Euros (lots of luggage including lots of purchases after a 31-day trip that we were very lucky to be able to take since we are in our mid-40s). The only reason we used a porter in that situation is because we were with friends who were staying at another hotel because they couldn't get a reservation at ours, and we wanted to share a water taxi to the airport to fly home together. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gone that route and don't recommend it since there are better alternatives.

I'm curious about the post regarding gypsies in Venice. I've spent 44 days there, including two days in May this year, and have not seen many gypsies at all in Venice. Perhaps this is being confused with other areas of Italy?????

Happy travels,

Donna

We used a porter several years ago, and it was arranged by our hotel. Honestly, I would recommend that you change to a hotel with a water taxi dock in your situation. Pulling luggage even a short distance in Venice is not fun--been there, done that, and will not do it again! I know you are looking for alternatives to that anyway. The Metropole is fabulous (we have stayed at over a dozen hotels in Venice over the years so can offer some other suggestions, if needed). That being said, our hotel arranged for our porter, and we were charged 30 Euros (lots of luggage including lots of purchases after a 31-day trip that we were very lucky to be able to take since we are in our mid-40s). The only reason we used a porter in that situation is because we were with friends who were staying at another hotel because they couldn't get a reservation at ours, and we wanted to share a water taxi to the airport to fly home together. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gone that route and don't recommend it since there are better alternatives.

I'm curious about the post regarding gypsies in Venice. I've spent 44 days there, including two days in May this year, and have not seen many gypsies at all in Venice. Perhaps this is being confused with other areas of Italy?????

Happy travels,

Donna

Donna,

The Metropole does look fabulous, and it has the fabulous price tag of $509 per night to go with it. I'm not paying those prices for a hotel room you pretty much sleep and shower in. I've opted to stay on the mainland in Mestre (Golden Tulip Tritone @ $143) across the street from the train station and will pay the 3 EUR to get to Venice proper on the train then have a Vaporetto pass for the 2 days I plan to be in Venice. Plus the buses run from Piazzale Roma to Mestre Station and from Mestre Station to the Airport for a reasonable price.

My friend will be 78 and I will be 61 and we aren't going to schlepp our luggage or pay exhorbitant fees for someone else to schlepp our luggage. She wants to see Venice, but so far I haven't found a hotel in Venice proper that I'm willing to pay for that has twin beds. Lots of fabulous places at fabulous prices.

Happy travels!

i wasn't confusing venice with other parts of italy. that's pretty difficult to do since venezia is so unique. maybe the officials kicked out the beggers, but i was there in may 2005 and they were pretty visible. most of them were in front of basilica di san marco and on the bridge where people can view ponte spirito (bridge of sighs). i also saw a few on the "boardwalk"..you know...the walk past the ponte spirito with the Grand Canal behind you.

Donna,

The Metropole does look fabulous, and it has the fabulous price tag of $509 per night to go with it. I'm not paying those prices for a hotel room you pretty much sleep and shower in. I've opted to stay on the mainland in Mestre (Golden Tulip Tritone @ $143) across the street from the train station and will pay the 3 EUR to get to Venice proper on the train then have a Vaporetto pass for the 2 days I plan to be in Venice. Plus the buses run from Piazzale Roma to Mestre Station and from Mestre Station to the Airport for a reasonable price.

My friend will be 78 and I will be 61 and we aren't going to schlepp our luggage or pay exhorbitant fees for someone else to schlepp our luggage. She wants to see Venice, but so far I haven't found a hotel in Venice proper that I'm willing to pay for that has twin beds. Lots of fabulous places at fabulous prices.

Happy travels!

agabbymama,

i stayed at palazzo vitturi. it's a 10 minute walk to ponte rialto and piazza san marco. it's located in campo santa maria. the water taxi will take you directly to the square and you walk a few yards to the hotel.

this is the link to the hotel on trip advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d529141-Reviews-Palazzo_Vitturi-Venice_Veneto.html

i stayed here for 3 nights in 2005. it was brand new. the rooms and bathrooms are BIG (even for USA standards). it's in a quiet neighborhood and the restaurant in the square is divine (and cheap!). there's also a newstand and bakery in the square.

the only downside is that the hotel doesn't have elevators. but rest assured, you don't have to bring your bag up stairs. the hotel staff will put the bags on the wheelchair/handicap motorized chair and bring up your bags.

it's a fabulous hotel without the "fabulous" (or not-so-fabulous) prices!

Donna,

Happy travels!

The rates for hotels in Venice (and obviously elsewhere) depend on your date of travel, so the rates at the Metropole varies during the year. I don't know how this became a thread on hotel rates in Venice anyway, but for those who can afford hotels in the St. Mark's area, they are worth the splurge. My comment was addressed to the original poster as a suggestion for a great alternative hotel that has a private water taxi dock. I have actually stayed in Mestre and in many areas of Venice, including the Lido, and prefer to pay extra for real estate to save time for sightseeing. I do understand that other tourists don't have the same options or choose to spend their money in different ways. Venice is expensive no matter how you cut it because food it higher there too, and this is the cost of visiting one of the most exquisite places in the world. The views of the hotels on the Riva degli Schiavoni are pricess. :) I'm glad you found a hotel that suits your needs, but the nice hotels in Venice are much more than a place to eat and sleep, so for those who can afford a higher price tag, they will have a better experience. And that's speaking from the experience of someone who has slept around Venice. ;)

Another alternative for some arriving by train is to check luggage at the train station, but then of course there would be additional expenses picking it up to go on to the cruise ship.

Donna

i wasn't confusing venice with other parts of italy. that's pretty difficult to do since venezia is so unique. maybe the officials kicked out the beggers, but i was there in may 2005 and they were pretty visible. most of them were in front of basilica di san marco and on the bridge where people can view ponte spirito (bridge of sighs). i also saw a few on the "boardwalk"..you know...the walk past the ponte spirito with the Grand Canal behind you.
I don't think this is the norm in Venice based on our travel experiences there and the comments (or lack thereof) on these boards and other travel sites. It's unfortunate that they were prevalent during your stay, but I do think that is unusual. This is one of the many things that we love about Venice that keeps us returning there.

Donna

I don't think this is the norm in Venice based on our travel experiences there and the comments (or lack thereof) on these boards and other travel sites. It's unfortunate that they were prevalent during your stay, but I do think that is unusual. This is one of the many things that we love about Venice that keeps us returning there.

Nor do I think that their presence was unfortunate. They're all over Europe and I'm used to seeing them. They're not that much different than the homeless in LA or any other city. I think that they're a rather intereting group of people, except for the whole pickpocketing and stealing schemes.

The rates for hotels in Venice (and obviously elsewhere) depend on your date of travel, so the rates at the Metropole varies during the year. I don't know how this became a thread on hotel rates in Venice anyway, but for those who can afford hotels in the St. Mark's area, they are worth the splurge. My comment was addressed to the original poster as a suggestion for a great alternative hotel that has a private water taxi dock. I have actually stayed in Mestre and in many areas of Venice, including the Lido, and prefer to pay extra for real estate to save time for sightseeing. I do understand that other tourists don't have the same options or choose to spend their money in different ways. Venice is expensive no matter how you cut it because food it higher there too, and this is the cost of visiting one of the most exquisite places in the world. The views of the hotels on the Riva degli Schiavoni are pricess. :) I'm glad you found a hotel that suits your needs, but the nice hotels in Venice are much more than a place to eat and sleep, so for those who can afford a higher price tag, they will have a better experience. And that's speaking from the experience of someone who has slept around Venice. ;)

Another alternative for some arriving by train is to check luggage at the train station, but then of course there would be additional expenses picking it up to go on to the cruise ship.

Donna

My reply was also to the original OP as well as you, so that the original OP was prepared for the costs of the hotel you recommended. Not everyone visiting Venice (or Italy for that matter) is able or willing to pay those exhorbitant rates. My thought was to let her know there are more affordable alternatives. You don't have to break the bank to visit Venice.

I'm sorry, to me a hotel room in any city is pretty much to shower and sleep in because I'm out seeing the city I'm visiting, spending very little time in the room. I stayed in Verona and visited Venice in '98, so the only reason I'm returning is to show my friend. I wouldn't go back, as I find Venice rotting and sinking very sad, certainly not worth the money they are asking.

My reply was also to the original OP as well as you, so that the original OP was prepared for the costs of the hotel you recommended. Not everyone visiting Venice (or Italy for that matter) is able or willing to pay those exhorbitant rates. My thought was to let her know there are more affordable alternatives. You don't have to break the bank to visit Venice.

I'm sorry, to me a hotel room in any city is pretty much to shower and sleep in because I'm out seeing the city I'm visiting, spending very little time in the room. I stayed in Verona and visited Venice in '98, so the only reason I'm returning is to show my friend. I wouldn't go back, as I find Venice rotting and sinking very sad, certainly not worth the money they are asking.

It's a shame that you don't know what you're missing with the hotels in Venice, but I hope you enjoy the one that you chose. Most tourists love Venice--you can check the polls on these boards and elsewhere--but different strokes for different folks if you did not find it enjoyable. If you'll read some information, you'll find that the "rotting and sinking" is being addressed to make Venice enjoyable for generations to come.

Donna

Hi...

I'm curious if the luggage porters still move luggage when the water is high in St. Mark's Square. We're staying at Locanda Orseolo in October. Apparently, if the water is high, the water taxi's can't get to the Locanda because of the low bridges; they can, however, drop us at St. Mark's Square and let us wade to the Locanda.

This is the first time I've ever stayed off of a main waterway. The Locanda is so highly recommended that I want to stay there, but I'm just a little concerned about the possibility of arriving during high water time. Someone on another post said they'd actually had to cancel their reservation due to this problem.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

murphysmum;)

It's a shame that you don't know what you're missing with the hotels in Venice, but I hope you enjoy the one that you chose. Most tourists love Venice--you can check the polls on these boards and elsewhere--but different strokes for different folks if you did not find it enjoyable. If you'll read some information, you'll find that the "rotting and sinking" is being addressed to make Venice enjoyable for generations to come.

Donna

I again disagree with you. I think most visitors enjoy the IDEA of Venice. When we were there and were told that most of the 1st floors aren't habitable because of the water levels, and saw the buildings deteriorating, you'd have to have blinders on not to see that all the beauty that ONCE was Venice is going to be lost. I know they are trying to save it, but will they be able to, they just don't know. I know they are spending a fortune on sending engineers to Holland to see how they reclaimed "The Netherlands" from the sea, then building a huge sea wall that will rise from the floor of the lagoon to protect Venice proper. Maybe they should have sent someone to Dubai to see how they built their manmade ISLAND. I've done a lot of research and reading, on Italy totally not just Venice, as my husband is Italian and the month we spent there was spent in a lot of the smaller towns and countryside seeing the true Italy, not just the tourist Italy. I'm glad we were able to go before the EURO came into being as it was a lot more affordable.

I enjoy traveling to new places and seeing and meeting the people, but I'm not willing to spend as much for 2 nights in Venice and 2 nights in Rome as what the cruise cost for 12 nights. But that's not to say everyone feels as I do, guess it's a case of "different strokes for different folks".

I again disagree with you. I think most visitors enjoy the IDEA of Venice. When we were there and were told that most of the 1st floors aren't habitable because of the water levels, and saw the buildings deteriorating, you'd have to have blinders on not to see that all the beauty that ONCE was Venice is going to be lost. I know they are trying to save it, but will they be able to, they just don't know. I know they are spending a fortune on sending engineers to Holland to see how they reclaimed "The Netherlands" from the sea, then building a huge sea wall that will rise from the floor of the lagoon to protect Venice proper. Maybe they should have sent someone to Dubai to see how they built their manmade ISLAND. I've done a lot of research and reading, on Italy totally not just Venice, as my husband is Italian and the month we spent there was spent in a lot of the smaller towns and countryside seeing the true Italy, not just the tourist Italy. I'm glad we were able to go before the EURO came into being as it was a lot more affordable.

I enjoy traveling to new places and seeing and meeting the people, but I'm not willing to spend as much for 2 nights in Venice and 2 nights in Rome as what the cruise cost for 12 nights. But that's not to say everyone feels as I do, guess it's a case of "different strokes for different folks".

Yes, you are correct in stating that everyone doesn't feel the same way that you do. We have spent many, many days in Italy (too many to count) touring cities and villages throughout the country. Venice is and will remain a place of great beauty that is very popular. For us, it is well worth the cost. We've visited Rome five times and will return there again one day to show it to family or friends, but we have visited all the main sites several times over.

Donna

Hi...

I'm curious if the luggage porters still move luggage when the water is high in St. Mark's Square. We're staying at Locanda Orseolo in October. Apparently, if the water is high, the water taxi's can't get to the Locanda because of the low bridges; they can, however, drop us at St. Mark's Square and let us wade to the Locanda.

This is the first time I've ever stayed off of a main waterway. The Locanda is so highly recommended that I want to stay there, but I'm just a little concerned about the possibility of arriving during high water time. Someone on another post said they'd actually had to cancel their reservation due to this problem.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

murphysmum;)

We have been in Venice during aqua alta, but I don't know the answer to the question about the porters. Are you arriving in Venice by train or by plane? If you are arriving by train, you could use the luggage storage facility at the train station to leave your large bags and then take a vaporetto to St. Mark's Square. The Locando is a very short walk from the Square. Then you could pick up your luggage at the train station and take a taxi to your ship. Would that work as a back-up plan?

I stayed at the Locanda Orseolo in late May, and it is wonderful (would stay there again). The owners of that hotel also now own a hotel near the Rialto Bridge. That might be another alternative.

The city places wooden walkways on the streets during high water, so you won't have to wade. :) I would imagine that the porters would use the raised walkways, but I'm not sure.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Hello Donna...

Thanks for the information about St. Mark's. I couldn't remember the name for high water...All I could think of was aqua alto, which I think means "stop the water"....

We're flying in, and I think your idea would work. In the event of water problems, we could taxi to the storage facility at the train station and leave our larger bags (for the cruise). We could then take a water taxi or vaporetto to St. Mark's with a small bag for a three night stay. I do know about the planks above the water...I just remembered them as being about a foot wide (memory problem?) so I wasn't sure if you could carry luggage on them or not. We haven't been to Venice in about ten years.

Thanks so much for your help.

Oh, and I have no worries about Venice rotting and I do prefer the ambiance of a charming hotel in Venice. There are very few gypsies in California so I cannot speak to the issue with any real authority.

Keep your sense of humor and sail on....

murphysmum (Janed):rolleyes:

Hello Donna...

Thanks for the information about St. Mark's. I couldn't remember the name for high water...All I could think of was aqua alto, which I think means "stop the water"....

We're flying in, and I think your idea would work. In the event of water problems, we could taxi to the storage facility at the train station and leave our larger bags (for the cruise). We could then take a water taxi or vaporetto to St. Mark's with a small bag for a three night stay. I do know about the planks above the water...I just remembered them as being about a foot wide (memory problem?) so I wasn't sure if you could carry luggage on them or not. We haven't been to Venice in about ten years.

Thanks so much for your help.

Oh, and I have no worries about Venice rotting and I do prefer the ambiance of a charming hotel in Venice. There are very few gypsies in California so I cannot speak to the issue with any real authority.

Keep your sense of humor and sail on....

murphysmum (Janed):rolleyes:

Well you are welcome, and you made me giggle. ;) Those wooden raised walkways are approx 8 - 10 feet wide if my memory serves me correctly. I think October is a great time to visit with cooler weather and smaller crowds. I'm sure you'll love the Locando Orseolo (a home away from home in a great area of Venice where you are treated like a beloved relative), and Barbara will spoil you rotten. :) You are so lucky to be staying there for three nights and to have some time in Venice. Have some crepes for me--yum!

Donna

Here is my question. Once we arrive at St. Mark's water stop ( I don't believe our hotel has a water taxi stop) will there be public porters who can transport the luggage to our hotel? If so, what is the going rate? OR do we just lug our bags ourselves?

No they are not standing around. You can ask hotel to arrange for one for you, if not its shanks mare pulling the case.

You could consider storage for cases at Pizza Roma 3.50e day and just do as we do take a smaller overnight case with us.

Forget that I see you have water taxi which should take you to the nearest stop to your hotel there are two in the area of St. Marks.

The walk to the Locanda Orseolo is not that bad if you follow their directions exactly. As we did a post cruise stay, we took our largest suitcases on the Vaparretto on the first day at the Marina Terminal. It was a Saturday and I did not see any porters hanging around the dock nearest St. Mark's Sq. Also, I never noticed a booth or representative for porters. You walk between the two obleisiks through the crowds and pigeons all the way to the far side of the square in front of you. Once under the portico, turn left and walk almost all the way to the end/corner. About 3/4 of the way down, start looking for the Street name they will give you. Turn Right, walk over the bridge for about 2 minutes or less and you will come to a Courtyard with an Iron Gate in the left hand corner near a Sandwich cafe. Open it, turn left and the Locanda is on your left hand section of this Corte Zoro.

On Sunday, the private Water Taxi did take us and another couple directly to the hotel. We had the owners hold are large bags in a storage area as we only needed the smaller ones for our overnights stay.

Bon Voyage

No they are not standing around.

Actually public porters should stand around resp. be available at certain specific places around the city: Train station, Piazzale Roma, Accademia, San Geremia, San Marco/ Clock tower, San Marco/Bacino Orseolo, Calle Vallaresso and Hotel Danieli.

Archived