The process in Vancouver

Mikey2611

I am taking a Cruise from Vancouver later this year for the first time and would welcome information on the boarding process.

I assume that you turn up at the terminal at the appropriate time (for me it will likely be 10.30 to 11am). Do you go through US Customs in Canada at the terminal first and then go to Holland America's check in or is the check in first and the US Customs and Immigration second. At what point can you relieve yourself of your checked baggage? Not that it really matters I suppose except it is always nice to get rid of the heavy bags as soon as possible. Is there usually a long wait in line for US Customs and Immigration - it was awful in San Diego on a recent return from a Mexican Cruise. I am Canadian.

Thanks

I am confused. I have taken 4 Alaska cruises out of Vancouver and never had customs checks when at the pier before a cruise. I am a US citizen and only hit customs at the airport and at the pier as you leave the ship. Never at embarkation.

The OP is correct---you clear US Immigration in the Vancouver terminal because you will be going to the US when you enter Alaska. It saves time to do it before you even sail.

When I went last year my luggage was sent over from the hotel, so I skipped that step. I believe that would have been first, though. Then I went through US Immigration, and then to the HAL check-in.

I arrived just as everything was opened up, so there was no waiting beyond waiting in lines. It went fairly quickly.

I don't know if the process for a Canadian would be any different.

I don't know if the process for a Canadian would be any different.

It's pretty much the same for us Canadians; upon entering the terminal you drop your luggage off. You then proceed, after showing your boarding pass, through the obligatory metal detectors - just like at the airport. After that is Immigration ("Where are you going; how long will you be away" etc), and then, after that, is the HAL ticket counter.

To the OP: you'll find your Alaska cruise much more pleasant to disembark than Mexico: no 6am meet and greet in the ship's lounge! Everyone disembarks as normal, and hands their immigration cards to the waiting officials, who ask the standard questions. Very painless process. :D

Archived