16 yr old girl/dinner attire?

dale594

Hi there. My 16 yr old daughter likes to wear those very long shorts, very '40's looking, but shorter than capris. Are these appropriate for the dining room on Carnival for non formal nights? With a polo shirt? Thank you!

If they're tailored and dressy, I'd say yes. If they're more the skateboarder/beach style, no.

Sorry ... I disagree. If the policy of a particular line indicates no shorts, that's what it means, shouldn't matter if they're tailored or not. JMHO

Hi:)

I have a story......one of the gals in my office cruises too.

She has a husband and 2 girls..ages 5 and 8 (or somewhere in that

age category).

Anyway.......they enjoy cruising as a family and the hubby/wife alone

too. Well, they just returned from a Carnival Cruise. I honestly don't

know which ship but one of the newest ones...Did Carnival just come

out with a FREEDOM? I know Royal has one.

Anyway.......they ate in the dining room (the adults)....we were

talking about cruises, dress code, tipping etc.....well, the guys

decided to wear shorts and "expensive" golf shirts to dinner.

I didn't ask how much but I am thinking Cutter Buck or something.....

anyway.......it was NOT casual night and from what I was told, they

were asked to go change.

Other people were in Jeans.....and from hearing the story I think

they felt more dressed in their nice shorts and shirts than those

folks in jeans~but they did go change out of their shorts.

So I am not sure about the Carnival dress code at all.....

Sorry ... I disagree. If the policy of a particular line indicates no shorts, that's what it means, shouldn't matter if they're tailored or not. JMHO

shim.gifE56787.jpg You can disagree, but I would much rather see a teenager in a classy, dress code breaking pair of shorts.....

70833_10_thm_a_7201.jpg

than something like this (or worse) that IS within dress code.

People are too literal about these things. Just because a dress code doesn't say "no showing your hoo hah & ta ta's or no dirty, t-shirts with expletives written on them" doesn't mean it's okay to do so. And believe me, there are many people out there who would cite the dress code in an effort to justify wearing such things. :rolleyes:

Just because a dress code doesn't say "no showing your hoo hah & ta ta's or no dirty, t-shirts with expletives written on them" doesn't mean it's okay to do so. :rolleyes:

What about when the dresscode says, "No shorts in the dining room."?

Don't you know dress codes are considered a "suggestion" or "guideline" according to some folks? :cool: Since they are not "rules" the cruise line chooses to enforce, this will continue to be a hotly debated topic on these boards. On the ships, there are an increasing number of people who dress exactly as they please. And shorts would be an improvement over some of the outfits I have seen.:(

I'm not going to debate dress codes. I answered the posters question and gave my opinion based on some of the atrocious outfits I've seen because "it's in the dress code".

dale594, you don't say when or where you're cruising, but if it's a warm-weather cruise, try to talk her into sundresses. I cruised earlier this month with a group of teen girls, and that's all they wore. Very "in" right now, and plenty dressy for the dining room.

I'm not going to debate dress codes. I answered the posters question and gave my opinion based on some of the atrocious outfits I've seen because "it's in the dress code".

I understand. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to get a good Matre'd on your next cruise.

We recently sailed on the Paradise. My daughter has shorts like the talbots picture above, and jeans. (Well, and really sloppy looking shorts.) I told her to bring the jeans, as the literature said "no shorts in the dining room." On that particular cruise they did not enforce the "no shorts in the dining room" rule. Perhaps because the shorts I saw were the longer variety and the men looked like they just stepped off the golf course, so they did look pretty much like people dress for Bistros and beach restaurants in LA. She did wear her tailored shorts one night, after seeing they did others with that style were not getting kicked out of the dining room. On Formal night I didn't see any shorts, even tuxedo shorts. ;-)

Archived