Shipping - Artwork or Souvenirs

Does anyone know if you the ship provides (for a fee) the ability to ship souvenirs (if larger than could comfortably fit in a suitcase) or artwork (purchased on ship or shore) for you?

An alternative would be to try and get it off the ship yourself, but i am concerned about damage - especially artwork.

Thanks in advance!

I have found that over the years, the airwork onboard is not worth it. First you bid on it, and then they offer you a free one, which is huge. Then, you pay to ship it, where the guy from the shipping company leaves it in the rain (it did happen to me) and they get ruined. then you get more art, and you have to frame it which is really not worth it, especially for the big one that was for free.

I have found that over the years, the airwork onboard is not worth it.

First to address this. . . . we purchased a painting on Carnival for $1000 3 years ago. We thought we were crazy, had never heard of the guy, don't know squat about art, but I fell in love with the painting (not an original) and wanted it badly. I've since found out that the artist is like the hottest guy alive right now, this particular painting is his most popular and is sold out. The manager at his own gallery in Houston couldn't believe she had even met someone who owned one of these. She said I should have a T-shirt made up that I own one. If I wanted to sell it in a heartbeat I could get $7K, more if I really waited for my best price.

I got lucky, but artwork should after all be purchased for it's enjoyment value not investment (unless of course you're buying the masters), so if you like the painting, it's "worth it".

As for shipping, yes, all the artwork we've purchased, both framed and unframed, has been shipped for a fee and packaged quite well. You would, of course, have it insured and if it was damaged would file a claim.

Not that I've bought any art work or would, but always browse art, as I'm an artist of sorts, but I've always wondered the same question as the OP.

I was entering an art gallery when 2 ladies were carrying out, wrapped in brown paper, a painting that was probably 3'x5'. People in the gallery said the one lady had puchased one the same size the day before and they were both going back to a ship. Figured there had to be some way to handle them. Thanks for the answer.

I bought some of the large metal sculptures on Labadee in March. We tried to see if they would ship them for us and the answer was no. We were able however to get cardboard boxes from the gift shop on board (the ones for the liquor). Our next stop was Aruba and we found tape and string in a grocery store a couple of blocks from the ship. I made my own box complete with handles and managed to get it home in one piece. Now I put the rest of the tape and the string right back in my suitcase to bring for the next time!

Not that I've bought any art work or would, but always browse art, as I'm an artist of sorts, but I've always wondered the same question as the OP.

I was entering an art gallery when 2 ladies were carrying out, wrapped in brown paper, a painting that was probably 3'x5'. People in the gallery said the one lady had puchased one the same size the day before and they were both going back to a ship. Figured there had to be some way to handle them. Thanks for the answer.

It is quite possible that those ladies drove to the port so shipping wouldn't be an issue. I know the people that we sat with at dinner bought multiple pieces at the art show on board and said all was being shipped home by the ship.

a few posters and prints but no art work.

JMHO

I think they are talking about the art auctions and all the artwork they sell. There were dozens of their paintings displayed all over the ship as a preview for the auctions.

It is quite possible that those ladies drove to the port so shipping wouldn't be an issue. I know the people that we sat with at dinner bought multiple pieces at the art show on board and said all was being shipped home by the ship.

Thought about that but they were large enough that they didn't look like they would fit in a van even with seats taken out.

Archived