Air with Regent to FP

etmanch

My DH and I are going on the PG cruise April 2008 and we have been told by our TA that we can not book flights/hotels as of yet. Since we are only 9 months away from our sail date I was wondering if this would be true or if we should be able to secure our 2 nights pre-cruise hotel stay and our flights by this point. Since we have never booked air through Regent before I am not sure at what point I need to worry about getting flight and hotel details :eek: For all of you going on the PG soon I look forward to some great reviews upon your return :)

We just got back from the PG Marquesas itinerary - we had booked Sept 2006 and purchased the air/sea package from Regent including 1 night pre and post cruise. They do include the total price in the invoice at the time of booking and you are confirmed for the package. We did know at that time that we were on the direct NYC - PPT flight on a particular day. However, actual flights/times are not fully confirmed until 30 days before - at which time you do receive your documents. They say this is because airlines change schedules too many times in between.

Regent, like most lines, does not confirm air until about 30 days or so from the beginning of the cruise. All of the lines do so because they purchase in bulk from the airlines (at a discount, of course) and purchase seats on the routes on which they can get the best fares from the airlines. As a result, almost all itineraries involve at least a stop or two more than on itineraries that you can book yourself. If the itinerary or airline used is of concern to you, then make your own flight arrangements. (However, if you make your own arrangements, make sure that your TA advises Regent of those arrangement, gets confirmation back from Regent that it is aware of those arrangements, and provides you a copy.)

Don't understand what your TA mean "cannot book flight or hotel"?.

We booked out PG >10months out and we reserved air & post-cruise stay during our 1st deposit time. Maybe she mean you will got get the flight information that far out:confused:

Yeah, I'm a bit confused too. They can't confirm your flights until fairly close, but you should be able to book your hotel. And if it's a Regent pre-cruise package, they should be able to confirm availability.

We're booked December 2008, and were told we could not book or confirm air (we hope to get Business Class) until the usual numbers of days out (330?) And we were told that Business could not be guaranteed at all, since seats are limited and sometimes go to a block booking. Perhaps that's the problem?

Yeah, I'm a bit confused too. They can't confirm your flights until fairly close, but you should be able to book your hotel. And if it's a Regent pre-cruise package, they should be able to confirm availability.

We're booked December 2008, and were told we could not book or confirm air (we hope to get Business Class) until the usual numbers of days out (330?) And we were told that Business could not be guaranteed at all, since seats are limited and sometimes go to a block booking. Perhaps that's the problem?

Wandra, Ia Orana and Kaoha! What is "block booking"?.....Regent has an certain # of seats allocated or ??????

Hi Vaitape, no, at least I don't think so. The way she explained it, Regent may only get a few business tickets on an ATN flight because there may be some big group booking from some other agent, or trip. I.e., a wedding or birthday group travelling to the islands, I would guess. She just said that the availability could not be guaranteed. Of course, I have the latitude to pick a flight one or two days before the cruise, and I may use that latitude to try. I can't afford to book business independently--the business class "deal" on Regent isn't so bad (more valuable to me than a balcony.)

You can most certainly book your hotel now. I don't know if Regent won't confirm it because it hasn't negotiated it prices, but you can book directly with no problem.

Airfare done privately usually can be booked about 275 days prior, though ATN may shorten that a bit. Again, Regent may not have its pricing done, but if you book it yourself you get the seats you want on the flights you want...and possibly at a better price.

I booked our next FP trip for the February 23 sailing of the PG with a precruise at Ta'haa. TA confirmed availability for the stateroom on the PG and the precruise but the air details, including a deviation for our departure from our local airport will not be available for a while. That is just the way it works, but rest assured Regent will get you where you want to be.

Twice when we have used Regent air package

Gave our TA airline flight schedule we would like to "suggest"

having. Our TA passed it on to Regent department in charge and both times

they gave us those flights.

Just lucky? I don't know. Maybe we just took the work out of it for them?

Maybe it is because our flights are VERY limited and we only have 4 airlines

to choose from and 2 or 3 of those may not be going the right direction.

Thanks to all who replied. Sorry I should have been more clear.

We have booked with Regent and have requested the Air/Sea program so I guess I should not worry about not having actual flight info as of yet since it is probably to early yet however I like the suggestion to bring forth the flights we would like and see what happens. Since we are flying out of Buffalo I would like a one connection to LA instead of two. That would be just to exhausting having to board a plane three times in one day :eek:

However , I do not have any prices or the hotel options for our 2 night pre-cruise stay. Perhaps my TA is dropping the ball on this one as surely Regent can provide me with this information by now? I have sent her an email to see what she comes back with as my DH wants to get everything booked so we don't need to worry about it.

CC is the best and you all have such good suggestions so thanks for that.

I booked My Dec 1 2007 sailing on the PG on May 26,2007. At that time, the booking included a 2 night precruise stay at the Radisson Hotel and air out of LA on AirTahitiNui. At the time there were 2 flights leaviing LA, the earlier was noon time, the other was later in the day. I asked for the noon flight if possible. But the air was confirmed at that time. As of this past week my TA received the air air arrangements...the flight and the seat number...and yes I got on the noon flight as requested. I went on line and noticed that the coach section was full and thought it odd since it was a Thursday flight...My TA said ATN was cutting back on the number of New York direct flights and routing people through LA. As I was planning on upgrading to Business class at the check in counter, I may find Business full....oh well.

But as far as securing space on a Regent booked flight way in advance.....that should be a done deal...maybe just not the seat assignment.

Can someone give me the website to check out seat availablity on ATN.? We have seats for an Aug. 31st flight to FP and I would like to see how full the plane is. I would also like to check for our return flight to LAX. I know I did this once but can't remember how?? When I check the ATN website all I can find is to book a flight and their schedule. Thanks for your help!

Micked10

http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com

Then on the left side look for Our services

Then look at In flight services

then click on first class, buisness class, or coach.

Look down a little and there will be a picture of the seating.

double click on it and it will get bigger.

You may like to try http://www.seatguru.com

and see what they show.

Thanks so much Jim. I will it right now. I mainly wanted to see how many seats are still available. Our TA sent us our info. and we have seats 20 KL going ( 2 sided, which I am happy about) but seats 27KL coming home. They are right on top of the bathrooms and I want to see if I can change them. Everytime I call they agent says it is a full flight. Just want to check myself. Thanks a million for your quick response.

micked10

We had 26 AB when we went.

Great seats.

Right behind the middle group of seats is an area where you can stand up and stretch a little.

Being close to it was really nice.

I don't remember a problem with being close to bathrooms.

Thanks Jim B, that is reassuring. Maybe I'll just keep the seats we have. I was concerned that being so close to the bathrooms we would be up all night with people standing in line to get into the bathroom. At least it is on the way home. having that space that you mentioned is something I haven't thought about and will really come in handy. Our trip is Sept. 1st but we are flying to LA on Aug. 27th to visit our son and just found out Friday that my husband has a complex meniscus tear and needs orthoscopic surgery. The surgeon can't see him until Aug.3rd which is really cutting it close. We have planned this trip for almost a year to celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary and I will be so disappointed if we can't go. Anyway, having that space so close will be helpful for him to stretch.

Thanks,

micked10

IMO move as far away from the bathroom as you can. At night, when there are 2 or more waiting for the bathroom they will line up. Not so much that people talk, they are pretty considerate that way, but people will lean up against the your seat or just put their hand on the seat back to steady themselves. If you are trying to sleep or just rest, it can get annoying after a few hours and 15-20 people go by. I had one seat away from the one you had and after hour 5 or so, I was none too happy.

As far as the space by the bathroom, toward the rear,row 28-30 the FA's often ask that you do no congregate there, as the people in the near seats, row 31, complain about noise, etc.

j

ATN seating chart link: http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/images/A340-300big.jpg

Well we are booked on the 25th June 2008 PG cruise and we already have our hotels confirmed. Secondly we have our AMEX Travel Agent watching flights for us as they have to wait for 270 - 300 days out. For those that do or do not know, you should all check the American Express Platinum Card. It allows you among other things one business 2 for 1 round trip tickets per year nationally and 4 coach round trip 2 for 1 domestic tickets a year! What better way to fly to Tahiti than in business class. Also you receive perks on cruises, upgrades in hotels etc. And the best of all they have people watching everything for you...Platinum has a lot of pull!!! Have a great trip all!!

Be careful with Amex Platinum...says I as a very long standing Platinum Card holder!

I have found rates for air and hotels to be outrageous, knowledge to be minimal (basically many just read off a screen) and the ability to put a cohesive package together a chore and a half.

I have found flights for 30-50% lower (once 80%), so the 2 for 1 is usually no bargain...if the seats are available on your chosen flights.

The added amenities are, many times, tacked onto an inflated hotel room price so you are paying for them anyway. Again, hotel rooms for 30% below the Amex Platinum quoted rate are not uncommon in my experience.

Also, such benefits as on board credits and upgrades are many times available through your non-Amex Platinum travel agents as the benefits follow the card, not the agent.

Shop around. Many agents also have negotiated deals because of their membership in a consortium such as Ensemble, Virtuoso, etc. and those may well be better than the Amex Platinum ones.

Archived