car rental at Civitavecchia

Has anyone rented a car here? I've been to Rome and was looking for something else to do. Any suggestions? Thanks Chris

Others have posted there is a Hertz car rental by the train station in Civitavecchia.

I checked about renting a car to go from the airport to Civitavecchia and have the car for three days. They wanted $439. Decided against that.

Back to the drawing board. The transfers are just too expensive at 120 EUR each way.

Good luck!

There are several rental agencies in town. Depending on the location you could take the free shuttle from the pier to the port entrance and walk, or you can get a taxi from the ship (a more convenient option) if you can convince a taxi driver to take you on the very short haul. We generally rent from Europcar in "Civ." One major caution. All the rental car dealers in "Civ" are closed on Sundays (and Holidays). A few years ago we arrived in the port on a Sunday and needed a car for a month. Working through AutoEurope (a consolidator that works with Europcar) we were able to arrange to have the local dealer deliver a car directly to the port on Sunday. They only charged us an extra $25 for the service, and they actually did all the paperwork right in the port and we were on our way. That incident made us big fans of Europcar...although I doubt they would do it today because of the security restrictions in the port. Our back-up plan for Sunday would have been to take the cruise line transfers to FCO where the rental car dealers operate 7 days a week.

Hank

Archived