Please help with private transfer from Heathrow

poss

The arrangements I'd made have fallen through, so I need to contact another company. We'll be arriving Heathrow on September 11 and wanting to transfer to Canterbury for the day/night and then on to Dover the next day for embarkation. I'm hoping that people can suggest a good realiable agency, hopefully not terribly expensive, so that I can line something up as soon as possible. Makes me uncomfortable to have this thing hanging.

Thanks so much.

We used portcullis (they are based in Kent which makes them local to Canterbury/Dover) from Heathrow to Canterbury and then to Dover the next day. The cost was 210 pounds (about $420). We were travelling with another couple so this was for a van for both trips. The trip from Heathrow to Canterbury took twice as long as usual 4 1/2 hours instead of 2 hours. Yes this was expensive - part of the problem is the weak dollar.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express - which is not in town. It was inexpensive for the room. But we did spend $50 for a taxi to get into town for dinner. The HI Express is located in a strange place. The fare back from town ($35) was twice as expensive as the fare going ($15) into town.

Thanks for replies.

skandls: Do you remember whether you were able to pay for transfer with credit card? Also: How'd you like Canterbury? And where did you have dinner?

Thanks again to both.

Thanks for replies.

skandls: Do you remember whether you were able to pay for transfer with credit card? Also: How'd you like Canterbury? And where did you have dinner?

Thanks again to both.

We paid portcullis with a credit card - 25% down and the rest was charged when we got to Dover to board the ship.

If I knew a hotel in Canterbury I would loved to have stayed in town. It is a very nice university town with old charms. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant - I don't remember the name. It was a little off the main drag but you could see it from the street. There is one main street - see which places are busy and have a menu that you like. A pub would have been fun but we had been on the plane for 10+ hours and the ride from Heathrow was almost 5 hours due to accidents and the attempted car bombings that day.

Thanks, skandls. We'll be staying at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge-- which sounds wonderful.

Your 5 hr trip sounds awful-- but I hope you had a terrific cruise.

We second Woodford Chauffeurs. We used them last year from Dover to London and from hotel to Heathrow. We have booked them again for October. Cheryl is great!!:)

Thanks, skandls. We'll be staying at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge-- which sounds wonderful.

Your 5 hr trip sounds awful-- but I hope you had a terrific cruise.

We had a great trip even though there was a lot of rain. It is so port intensive we were kept busy with only 3 sea days at the beginning of the cruise. We bypassed Berlin - Warnemunde and Rostock were a smarter choice for us. We hope to get to Berlin this fall as part of European Delivery of a new car. That way we can spend the 4 or 5 days it will take to see the many historic sites. And have time to drink the beer (DH) wine (me).

Have a great trip. If we ever do another Dover embarcation I will definitely look for a hotel in Canterbury. Much more accessible and charming than Dover.

Archived