Nautical miles to sea days

cruisingclay

My late father inlaw told me a long time ago, that they used to keep track of nautical miles, instead of days at sea. Do any of the long time cruiser remerber when they did? If so when did they change it to sea days.

cruisingclay, I am sure someone else will come up with the exac date but I am going to guess it may have been 8-10 or so years ago. Its been a while:) :D :D

Cooper 10-8

My father in law pass away in Sydney on there 2004 World cruise. It was there 15th with Hal. They had the President's award. What ever that is?

The President's Club is for 1400 days or more. He must have cruised quite a lot and also booked thru the one agency who has HAL give this award.

I think they changed from counting sea miles to days back in the 90's -- but not sure of the date. I know I received my 250,000 sea day award in the 90's and my old Platinum medallion for sea days in '95...so it was after that.

Cooper 10-8

My father in law pass away in Sydney on there 2004 World cruise. It was there 15th with Hal. They had the President's award. What ever that is?

Clay, not sure what the President's award was (maybe someone else knows) This was the way they did it prior to the current program which started in 2000:

DESCRIPTION # OF CRUISES COMPLETED RECOGNITION

Able Mariner 3 Certificate

Cadet Mariner 5 Certificate

Grand Mariner 10 Certificate & Lapel pin

CRUISE MILEAGE* # OF CRUISE DAYS RECOGNITION

40,000 115 Silver Medallion, Certificate & Lapel Pin

100,000 285 Gold Medallion, Certificate & Lapel Pin

250,000 713 Platinum Medallion, Certificate & Lapel Pin

*To calculate cruise mileage, each day on a Holland America Line ship is equal to 350 miles

The President's Club is for 1400 days or more. He must have cruised quite a lot and also booked thru the one agency who has HAL give this award.

I think they changed from counting sea miles to days back in the 90's -- but not sure of the date. I know I received my 250,000 sea day award in the 90's and my old Platinum medallion for sea days in '95...so it was after that.

Thanks LizB1

Yes, the agency is in Seattle. They had 9 girls & 1 boy. So he loved to get away. Every couple of weeks all the family would get a vanilla envelope in the mail with pictures and a discretion of there adventures. I feel like I had been around the world a few times.

I received my first medallion under the old system (silver, 110 days) in August, 1998.

I didn't board in 1999. When I returned in October, 2000 it had changed over to the new system.

While the Seattle travel agency may have a number of clients with the President's award, it is unrelated to the travel agency. I know of at least one person who has the award (and thus is a member of the President's Club) who is NOT a client of that agency.

Archived