What to do in New London, Connecticut?

KeywestK

Having spent my summers with my grandparents in nearby RI and later attending University of Rhode Island, I'm always surprised when I visit this forum how many things there are that I haven't visited, in my own back yard.

Lots of great suggestions on this thread. One caution on driving to Newport - downtown parking is virtually impossible during the summer season. On the other hand, attractions like the mansions, Ft. Adams, etc. have adequate parking. You also can probably find a space on the street near the Tennis Hall of Fame unless, of course, there's an event going on.

One attraction that I don't think has been mentioned is the US Coast Guard Academy, just across the river from New London. Unfortunately, according to their website, the visitors' center is closed, but the following information is from website:

Tours: The Academy is an "open installation." In addition to the cadet-led tours (see Admissions Briefings above), visitors are also welcome to take a self-guided tour daily from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There is no admission charge though an ID is required to get on campus. Walking maps are available in the Museum or from Admissions, both located in Waesche Hall on the north end of campus.

Website is www.cga.edu.

Bob

We really loved Mystic Seaport Village. After spending 3 hours touring through there and having lunch, then we wemt over to the town itself and walked around there for a couple hours stopping in many of ths old shops.

We were only there until 2 PM - wish we could have spent more time there.

According to the SEAT website, route no. 108 has a stop at "Mistic Village." However, I can't tell from map how this relates to Mystic Seaport.

Suggest you call SEAT at 860-886-2631

Bob

We are on the July 31 RCCL sailing EXPLORER of the SEAS... I am purchasing (on-line - http://www.mysticseaport.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPage&page_id=0F54553F-65B8-D398-7582AB605B0BA15A) a combo Aquarium and Mystic Seaport pass for $32 each (37 non senior). It looks like we will just have to get ourselves to Mystic from New London. I too believe in public transportation (49 countries and a million trains, subways, ox-carts later). I am hoping to use the bus to get there.

According to the SEAT website, route no. 108 has a stop at "Mistic Village." However, I can't tell from map how this relates to Mystic Seaport.

Suggest you call SEAT at 860-886-2631

Bob

Mystic Village is right beside Mystic Aquarium. You can walk between the two. Mystic Village has some great shops. It would be a very long walk from Mystic Village to the Mystic Seaport.

We took a cab from New London to Mystic Aquarium. We visited the aquarium and then walked to Mystic Village and shopped and had lunch at the Steak Loft (yummy!). Then we called a cab to pick us up at the Steak Loft and take us to Mystic Seaport. Then we took a cab from Mystic Seaport back to New London. We purchased the Sea Everything passes and found them to be a good value.

Archived