Favorite HAL Ship Type- Read Directions Before Voting

OldCodger73

The R class ships are my overall favorites. But the itinerary could also drive the ship class I'd prefer. For a shorter cruise to familiar places I might prefer a vista for more "excitement." But a longer, more exotic itinerary would be most enjoyed (to me, at least) on the Prinsendam. It's more intimate.

That's more information than you were seeking, but that's my take on it. I guess the direct answer to your question would be that I really like the R class vessels for all-around purposes.

You've combined the S- and R-classes into one choice, even though they aren't the same. To me there are major differences.

My preference is the S-class (haven't been on the Prinsendam yet). Second choice is the R-dam---and it is a second choice.

Although I've sailed the Vista class (Noordam) twice and am booked on the Signature class, all else being equal they have to remain last of my choices.

R class is my favorite ... I prefer the R class over the S class because of the R class' midships stairs/elevators; they make it easier to get around the ship. Of the R class, my current favorite is the Volendam ... her interior decor is slightly more pleasing than the Zaandam's, and the Zaandam's atrium "art" is UGLY and too BIG.

S class follows closely on the heels of the R class because of size. My favorite of the S class is the Statendam, due to interior decor (I love the Van Gogh Starry Night motif).

Then Vista, because of the Northern Lights and the size of the Crows Nest and the design of the Ocean Bar (on the Noordam). My favorite Vista is the Noordam, followed closely by the Oosterdam.

I've never been aboard the Prinsendam, but I hope to some day and then, maybe, I can position her on my list somewhere around the S class (or higher?). We'll see.

Sorry on this; I tried to do it as a poll but didn't succeed obviously. Also I didn't realize I had posted it. Maybe the extra glass/es of wine at dinner had something to do with it.

I agree on the R and S. I do like the extra midship elevator. From my limited experience I prefer the Amsterdam to the Volendam. I'll have a chance to experience the Zaandam in September. On the S class I've only been on the Veendam but do have cruises booked on the Ryndam and Maasdam.

I'd like to do all the R and S ships. The Statendam will be doing a 5-day Pacific Coastal next September and we'll probably book that. SWMBO absolutely refuses to fly across the pond anymore, so booking the Rotterdam has been a problem. I notice though that it'll be doing several Panama Canal cruises in November or December 2008, so maybe.

Then there's the Prinsendam, sigh.

I really have no desire to try the Vistas as to me they seem more like a floating Las Vegas hotel than a cruise ship, but in reading various threads some people seem to love them. Maybe sometime I'll do a thread on what's so great with the Vista class.

Can't speak for the "R" because we've never been on one. But in order we would always choose:

1. Prinsendam

2. "S" Class

3. Vista

But we'll probably not cruise Vista again. We are, however, booked on the Eurodam next year. What is that class going to be called? Anyone know?

and the design of the Ocean Bar (on the Noordam). My favorite Vista is the Noordam, followed closely by the Oosterdam.

Eew! :D

I hate the Ocean Bar on Noordam ..... too noisy!

Much prefer the old design on Oosterdam. Intimate, and easier to carry a conversation without yelling into your seat mates ear.

... Eurodam next year. What is that class going to be called? Anyone know?
So far HAL's calling it the Signature Class ... and I don't think they'll change it.

For consistency, I think the Vistas should have been called the Z class (for Zuiderdam) and the next should be the E class.

Prinsendam; R/S Class; Vista Class, in that order.

This is mainly because I prefer smaller ships, which is why most of my early cruising was on Cunard's now-departed Vistafjord/Caronia. A lot of us, inlcuding some Cunard ships officers I talked to, had hoped that what was then the Seabourn Sun (it obviously did not really fit the Seabourn brand) would be transferred to Cunard as a replacement for Caronia, but given the subsequent evolution of Cunard (sale of Caronia, addition of QM2 and Victoria, integration of Cunard and Princess shore-side operations, and most recently, announced retirement of QE2) I guess that she didn't fit the Carnival's long-range plans for Cunard.

I've only sailed on Prinsendam once but keep looking for itineraries that fit my schedules and wishes. Maybe 2009? Also wonder how much longer she will remain in the fleet, given her rather advanced age compared to other dam ships.

I hate the Ocean Bar on Noordam ..... too noisy!

Much prefer the old design on Oosterdam. Intimate, and easier to carry a conversation without yelling into your seat mates ear.

We have different reasons for liking and disliking it. I like the Noordam's Ocean Bar because the quiet area is the non-smoking area. :) The bar is on the other side, where it's not crowded into a small space and where the dance floor and all the smokers and noise are (or, at least, where the smokers are supposed to be while smoking). :) Meanwhile, the narrow area isn't taken up mostly with a bar but, rather, with a nice quiet area where one can sit and chat.

Archived