Weather in Egypt in February?

cruisemom42

Yes, I've read the weather stats. But I'd like any info from anyone who's been to Egypt (and hopefully a Nile cruise) about their experiences during the cooler months. Does it cool off significantly on the water at night? I know it can get cooler in the desert.

And what kind of clothes are we talking -- long sleeves? short sleeves? A lightweight sweater? Is dinner dressy on the ship?

We were there in February 2007 and had been there in February a few years ago. Temps in Cairo were cooler this time, and very windy. Light jacket during the day (depending on temps you're used to at home, if you are from one of the warm states you might need more than a New Englander). I used my hood at the pyramids more because of the sand blowing than needing it for warmth. I didn't think it cooled off that dramatically at night in Cairo. It gets progressively warmer, by Valley of the Kings it is incredibly hot, ditto for Abu Simbel (again, depending on what you are used to at home). Long pants, long sleeves, Crocs, and a light jacket in Cairo. Crop pants, short sleeves, sandals in Luxor. In between in Aswan!

I'm always appalled at what people will wear when it's hot in an Islamic country. I don't care what you can get away with, it's what is respectful. The "least" I personally wear are longer crop pants, and a short sleeved shirt. Yes, there are people in skimpy tops & short shorts (men & women), but I find it offensive. Our guide, a young woman, always wore long sleeves and pants, not only because she's Islamic, but also because to her it was "winter" and she was always cold!! Made us laugh.

The days are long while touring and we did not often get to change for dinner. Some people were dressier and some wore what they had on during the day (which we basically did). I don't think anyone felt out of place dressed up or down. DH wore dockers & polos to dinner, I wore slacks & a crinkle type top.

To whet your appetite for your trip to Egypt, be sure to log on to www.pyramidcam.com. Since it's live you have to be sure you go on during the Egyptian daytime, though at night sometimes you can see the pyramids illuminated for the sound & light show. The temperature & humidity are displayed there as well. I'm with you, however, I'd rather hear the weather from someone who has been there! :D

Thanks Trece -- very helpful to me!! I'm from the south, so it might seem cool but probably not as cold as it would be in Atlanta in February.

I also think it's important to dress (and, of course, act) respectfully when visiting other countries.

Can I ask a followup question? What kind of shoes did you wear when doing Valley of the Kings? I'm thinking something along the lines of leather Teva sandals (the kind with really grippy soles) or the like......or are closed shoes a better idea?

I'm pretty sure I wore Birkenstocks in the Valley of the Kings though I can't find any photos of me that day that include my feet! :D The walkways there are smooth and there's no walking in sand if that's what you are thinking. A little trolley takes you from the visitor's center (I guess that's what you'd call it) towards the tomb area and from there you kind of fan out depending on which tombs you are visiting, which depends on which tombs are open. I think you'd be fine in Tevas, depending on what else you are doing that day. If I had Crocs on instead of Birks, they certainly aren't closed in the sense that they have holes in them, so either way I had no problem. When we were there in 1999 I believe I wore sneakers & socks.

If DH has a better memory of what my feet were dressed like that day, I'll re-post!

• 5 weeks later...

Msraye,

I am tentatively planning to go with TraveLearn. Their tour groups are small and they have a number of lectures, etc. I'd like to do things on my own, but since I'll be traveling alone, I think that a small group should be fine. I plan to have a few extra days at the end of the tour before I go home and I'm trying to decide what to do then to make best use of my time there. I'll probably stay in Egypt though.......will save Petra for another trip!

We were in Egypt ten years ago in February. It was in the 60's to maybe 70 in Cairo. I was comfortable in slacks or a long skirt. I didn't really need a jacket until evening.

Aswan was hot, probably around 90. The Valley of the Kings, Luxor area, was incredibly hot, probably over 100. Our guide took us to the valley at 5 AM so that we could tour in relative comfort; we were done by 9 and it was almost unbearable to us northerners already! I wore comfortable sandals that had decent traction, but I don't really remember that the footing was too bad.

It cooled down at night on the cruise, but not so much that you were cold. At most we needed a light jacket. The cruise meals were quite informal; many people wore just sport clothes, other dressed up a little, like a nice top and skirt.

It may have changed in ten years, but our Egyptian guide (male) told us that shorts were perfectly acceptable for male and female tourists as long as they weren't extremely short or suggestive. Most tourists wore longer shorts and t-shirts, due to the extreme heat. We did too, since he assured us that the locals were accepting of somewhat different attire by tourists. With today's political climate I'd probably wear capris (which weren't very available at the time) rather than shorts.

I must say that the Egyptian people were perhaps the friendliest and warmest we have ever met on our travels. We were welcomed whole-heartedly and enjoyed our stay immensely. This is one trip we really want to do again.

• 4 weeks later...

I was also in Egypt this past February. Agree with Treece, except that we had pouring rain when I was in Giza! The Egyptians said that was very unusual. I was glad for the hood on my jacket, but I could have used an umbrella. The weather in Cairo was quite cold and damp for several days. The day we went to the pyramids some people wore scarves, gloves and hats. (We were there before sunrise, so it was perhaps the coldest part of the day.) It was probably in the 80s in Aswan, and around 70 in Luxor. Very pleasant in both places, and sun every day. I wore sneakers to the West Bank sites, but I have very iffy feet. Around town or days we didn't do a lot of walking on uneven pavement I wore sturdy sandals. I hope to go back next year, but haven't picked out a tour yet. I like to learn on the tours, and like it when respected Egyptologists lecture. This past year I went on a tour with Kent Weeks and he was terrific.

I was also in Egypt this past February. Agree with Treece, except that we had pouring rain when I was in Giza! The Egyptians said that was very unusual. I was glad for the hood on my jacket, but I could have used an umbrella. The weather in Cairo was quite cold and damp for several days. The day we went to the pyramids some people wore scarves, gloves and hats. (We were there before sunrise, so it was perhaps the coldest part of the day.) It was probably in the 80s in Aswan, and around 70 in Luxor. Very pleasant in both places, and sun every day. I wore sneakers to the West Bank sites, but I have very iffy feet. Around town or days we didn't do a lot of walking on uneven pavement I wore sturdy sandals. I hope to go back next year, but haven't picked out a tour yet. I like to learn on the tours, and like it when respected Egyptologists lecture. This past year I went on a tour with Kent Weeks and he was terrific.

If I may ask, where did you find out about the tour with Kent Weeks? Sounds lovely. I'm an armchair archeologist. On the trip I'm contemplating in Feb, we'd have an opportunity to meet with and hear a talk from Zahi Hawass.

Archived