Souvenirs and costs

HiMagicFan

We are going on a trip to Tahiti/Marquesas in Oct/Nov.

I am wondering what sort of souvenirs did most people buy, where and approximately how much?

I know from CC posts that a great place to shop is the Market in Papeete but I was wondering what sort of stuff (other than pareo and pearls) has anyone bought on the other islands and where?

Thanks in advance for your answering. Tour books were not much help so I thought I would come to THE place for information.:)

Apart from pareos (designed in Tahiti but made in Indonesia) and the amazing pearls, the rest of the souvenirs are typically made in China junk. Since you are going to be in Nuku Hiva, take a look at the carvings. I bought a small wooden carving of a stingray for about $60 U.S. which I love as it reminds me of that incredible island. I also purchased a small pearl pendant ($100) and a couple of pareos ($20 each) Other than that, I didn't find anything that caught my fancy. For me, the best souvenirs of Tahiti are my memories and 1,400 pictures I took. I can't wait to go back.

My son has gotten some of the most amzing carvings - all local and I thought reasonable. I love the shirts at Te Mana on the main street across from the cruise ship area and my wife has picked up a lot of fabric at local stores that was a bargain.

Larry

I will be adding your suggestions to my list. I have a couple of friends who sew so the idea of fabric is a great one (didn't even think of it earlier - lighter than jelly or soap). I have a list of others who want t-shirts and since I am trying to get a variety I will check out the places you gave me.

Appreciate it!

In Huahine, there was a table right next to the pier. We bought a set of 4 carved shells that can be used as table cloth holders. When we first saw them and asked the price she said 4 for $80. We were leaving on the tour so decided to wait until we got back. We went back to her and now they were 4 for $60 - what a deal!!! Worked out well because that was the exact dollar amount we had with us.

The shells are beautiful with a coconut tree carved in them along with "hand made in Huahine".

We always try to find something that is locally made which was a bit difficult to find, other than the obvious items. These however are a gift for a very good friend.

Vanilla beans: $5-10 for a packet of 12

Jewelry: Necklaces & earrings made from sea shells and black pearls: Priced anywhere from about $5 to $75....depending on how large or elaborate... Some were as large as the immunity necklace on Survivor!...but some were real works of art...and perfect souvenirs of Tahiti.

Pareos: $20-25

Tropical flower arrangements: $10-30 at Le Marche. Buy one before sailing and enjoy in your cabin during the entire cruise.

Wooden carved mask: $30 Rarotonga, Cook Islands NZ

Tahitian Princess photo album for 4x6 prints: $12 in gift shop onboard ship

Sorry for the double post - thought my computer had frozen.

Senga, I am planning on taking local currency and a credit card.

There was a discussion on the boards about checking with your credit card company regarding the exchange rates for your card.

People on the boards have also indicated that most of the store shops accept credit cards and the stalls and Market Place take local currency.

We did see a beautiful ukulele for $400+...the woman who sells on the dock at Moorea where the PG lands has a husband who does a lot of carvings. You can visit his shop on his property on the island....nice things, but oh so pricey. I highly doubt a lot of the cheaper wood carvings are made locally....many look like Phillippine or Indonesian imports. Some still had the stickers left on. I never saw any "local" sitting by the side of the road with their handmade carvings, or seen people carve them, the way they do in places where real locally made carvings are sold. But either way, if it reminds you of your vacation, that's cool too.

For the tip on the ukulele and carvings. I will watch for those made in the Philippines stickers!

I so enjoy reading your post cruise posts because you sound so happy about your cruise. Because of that I am so looking forward to mine! Thanks for all your wonderful information and advice!:D

Archived