prettiest/ugliest ship hull?

bakechef

I was just thinking about the prettiest and the ugliest ships at sea, here are my opinions.

Prettiest

Sun Class Princess- very graceful and sleek, looks like a cruise ship

Disney- I really like the ocean liner design

Sovereign class RCI- the hull has a nice rounded and sleek look (not sure about the viking crown lounge though)

NCL Majesty- cute, in proportion and looks like a cruise ship

Ugliest

Grand Class Princess- ugly from front to back, the bow is ugly and what is with the handle?

NCL Pride of america- not an NCL design but looks awful.

Carnival Holiday, and Fantasy Class- it was like they said we already have a horrid design lets make it bigger!

Neutral

RCI Voyager/Freedom Class if it weren't for the viking crown lounge and life boats would look like a floating condo building, but certainly not hideous.

NCL Dawn/Jewel Class, I kinda like the hull art, and the ships still look like ships even with all those balconies.

Lets keep this thread fun, these are just opinions. I am not picking on anyone, and would sail on any of these ships without hesitation.

Lets keep this about outside appearance, The interiors are a whole other story.

MAC

Any NCL ships with so called "Art Work" on them are UGLY! I feel a little sorry for their captains and crew who have to see those hulls. I have always considered ships to be "Ladies", but I believe that NCL has perpetrated on their ships nothing more or less than a horrendous insult to both the cruising industry, and to ladies. I have to call those hulls "ITS", there is nothing feminine about them.

For grace and charm look to HAL, or Cunard.

john

Any NCL ships with so called "Art Work" on them are UGLY! I feel a little sorry for their captains and crew who have to see those hulls. I have always considered ships to be "Ladies", but I believe that NCL has perpetrated on their ships nothing more or less than a horrendous insult to both the cruising industry, and to ladies. I have to call those hulls "ITS", there is nothing feminine about them.

john

I don't take the hull art so personally, I think that it gives each ship an identity. I saw the Pearl in Cozumel, and think it looked quite festive. but if they were to plaster it on a classic liner I think that I would object.

Cunard ships to me are not attractive in the least, but HAL ships do have a distinct look I think they are quite handsome.

MAC

john

I don't feel quite so strongly about the art on the NCL ships, but I really don't care for it.

The last time we sailed on NCL, we were getting off in port, turned around and said "yuck" to each other. After taking about 20 steps or so, we noticed a lot of people were taking pictures of it, with them standing in the foreground. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder!

...most of the new-build mega cruisers have all the grace of an eight story condo complex stuck on a hull...

...to find a graceful cruise ship now, you really have to look at some of the ones that were built before the trend to mega ships. I like the looks of Norwegian Wind and her sister the Dream. Hal's Zaandam and sisters are nice looking ships, and actually, I have to say that Hal hasn't done such a bad job with the new Vista class ships Zuiderdam and sisters...

...as for ugly, what is with those 'things' that are supposed to pass as main stacks on the Princess ships? Particularly horrifying are the stack arrays that have 'jet pods' on their sides, just plain tacky!! Then there's Princess' 'shopping carts', they have to be some of the ugliest cruise ships ever done, period!! Unfortunately for most of the new-builds there doesn't seem to be a way to really make a stack of balconies look like any thing but a stack of balconies...

cheers,

the Imagineers

NCL cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Wind - Aug 27/06, it was great, I'll miss the Wind.

Mediterranean cruise on the Insignia - Apr 28/07 (cancelled, by us)

upcoming Oceania cruise Rome to Venice onboard the Regatta - Apr 13/08.

I like the front of the Grand Class' superstructure. I hate the back.

I also think the Vista/Spirit-Class mixed design is an improvement over many ships. And I think Cunard's Queen Victoria is the most attractive of them all.

For Ugliest...

Pride of America takes the gold.

I also don't really like the exterior design of QM2. I think she is to boxy with to many features coppied from past ships. I really just never developed a liking for her design. Though I think the rest of the QM2 is beautiful.

john

I agree with the "art" on the NCL ships!! I had to do a double-double take when I first saw a picture of a NCL ship. I thought it was graffiti. :o

I also think Royal Caribbean ships look like floating boxes that someone stuck a sword through.

I love the design of the Carnival Spirit-Class ships. They remind me of a old (in a good way!) paddleboat for some reason.

Agree with some of the above. The Grand Class Princess ships are just plain ugly from the outside. From a short distance, they look like a giant, floating toilet with the lid up.

Prettiest? Hard to say. Most of the hulls pretty much look the same. There isn't much variance to outer designs on cruise ships.

john

Ditto. Aida is pretty bad too.:eek:

The back of the Princess Grand Class are down right ugly.

I love the look of Princess hands down. Been on a few of these babies and when we are in Port People from other ships always comment on how nice they look. Don't care for Carnival at all. Can't stand that big Red Wing thing at the top. It's fun thought to read all the opinions and more fun that in 8 days I will be on the BIG UGLY LOL CROWN PRINCESS for 9 nights!

If old ships count.........the old Viking Serenade had to be the ugliest ship I ever sailed on.........but it was a great cruise:)

Yeah she sure wasn't a looker. I believe she started as a car ferry, so I guess was designed for utility, and later fitted for cruising.

MAC

I dislike the art on NCL hulls so badly that even if all else was going to lead me to sail one of those ships (which is not the case), just that hull art would keep me from sailing one of those ships.

I think the blue hulls of HAL classy. The blue and white ships of HAL are my style.

I dislike the art on NCL hulls so badly that even if all else was going to lead me to sail one of those ships (which is not the case), just that hull art would keep me from sailing one of those ships.

I think the blue hulls of HAL classy. The blue and white ships of HAL are my style.

I'm with you Sail. I prefer my ship to look like a ship, not a box.

What's the difference how "pretty" a ship is? As long as I get great service, a great itinerary and an enjoyable cruise experience I could care less what the ship looks like from on shore.

I agree with the "art" on the NCL ships!! I had to do a double-double take when I first saw a picture of a NCL ship. I thought it was graffiti. :o

I also think Royal Caribbean ships look like floating boxes that someone stuck a sword through.

I love the design of the Carnival Spirit-Class ships. They remind me of a old (in a good way!) paddleboat for some reason.

I'm going to agree with you that I think Carnival's Spirit class are nice looking.

But Royal Caribbean ships are all nicer looking and less boxy looking than Carnival's ships. I HATE the way the Conquest and Destiny class ships look. They look unproportional.

Archived