curious... why is Nov 2008 europe so cheap?

I was just chatting with my TA and she was saying that she is annoyed that she is booked for july 2008 for europe because november is about half the price. She is going on carnival which I would have thought would be way less than RCCI anyhow. Is it because of the weather in november compared to july or something? Seems really out of whack to be almost double for a lessor line just because it is summer. We currently are on that same sailing as her but I can't pull my daughter out of school that long for the thanksgiving cruise- I don't think- maybe when my husband heres the price difference he will insist we do.

I was just chatting with my TA and she was saying that she is annoyed that she is booked for july 2008 for europe because november is about half the price. ... We currently are on that same sailing as her but I can't pull my daughter out of school that long for the thanksgiving cruise- I don't think- maybe when my husband heres the price difference he will insist we do.

I think this is the main reason. When fewer people can travel, such as when most schools are in session (kindergarten through college), the price drops because the demand isn't there. July, when most schools are not in session, is when a lot more people can go. Many businesses also have employees who take more vacations in the summer months, and during the Christmas holiday time, than any other time of the year. So, I think it comes down to supply and demand.

I think it is a combination of both - the likelihood of better weather during the summer than in late fall, early winter and more people travelling during the summer vacation season creating more demand. Cruises in Europe have become increasingly popular even as the costs of travel in Europe have risen for American tourists because of the weak dollar. Ships are staying in Europe longer and this may eventually result in raising the prices for those November cruises as more people become aware of their availability, but for now, it seems to be a balancing act between price and weather. Classic example of "you pays you money and you takes you choice":D

All of those reasons below are valid. Also, one thing I've learned with RCI over the years, is that generally, the earlier you book, the better price you'll get. The prices rise over time, then after final payment, they drop back down, but are still nowhere near what you paid if you booked 18-24 months in advance.

well I was plesantly surprised DH didn't try to make me switch, that would be a lot of time for DD to miss from school. I just am going to have to keep charging on the good old air miles charge so we can get a few free flights over the pond, at least two would be nice :) thanks for your answers, I was guessing that was what was up. Blake

Well DH does LOL -he works for the state so he has way too much vacation time, although I have been doing a pretty good job of filling it:D

thanks for the explanation, we are going to stay put, I ordered some italian lessons on cd today, I have a year to become minimally lingual

It's definitely cheaper in November because of the crummy weather. I'd never want to go on vacation to Europe during that time of year! I've heard it even starts to get iffy in October as well. :eek:

Laura

The best time to cruise in Europe is May? June. The prices don't peak until July, school holidays haven't started and the weather can be good.

Mind you, at the moment we are suffering from the worst July weather in living memory. I am sitting surrounded by floods, we have towns and villages cut off and along with 349,999 other people we have no water supply because the flood water has knocked out our water pumping station. We are using temporary bowsers, the shops are shutting because they have no staff facilities and water is being distributed by the army and police as fights are breaking out over bottles of water. We are also suffering intermittent power cuts whilst they try to build a dam around the power station to hold back the flood waters. We are being told to expect the situation to continue for 10-14 days. How I wish I was off on a cruise tomorrow.:(

It's definitely cheaper in November because of the crummy weather. I'd never want to go on vacation to Europe during that time of year! I've heard it even starts to get iffy in October as well. :eek:

Laura

Beg to differ - We did a 15 day med cruise last November and the weather was perfect. 15 - 18 degrees celcius (60 -65 F) and we had exactly 2 hours of rain the entire 4 weeks we spent in the Med. Crowds and lines were very small, prices were much cheaper, and we were constantly being told by locals that we were so smart to be travelling at that time.

I could not handle the crowds or the heat of the Med in Summer.

We are heading back this November and will spend a week travelling around southern Spain prior to our TA on the Legend. Hotels that normally charge 150 - 200 Euros have been quoting us 50 - 60. Not bad.

Beg to differ - We did a 15 day med cruise last November and the weather was perfect. 15 - 18 degrees celcius (60 -65 F) and we had exactly 2 hours of rain the entire 4 weeks we spent in the Med. Crowds and lines were very small, prices were much cheaper, and we were constantly being told by locals that we were so smart to be travelling at that time.

I could not handle the crowds or the heat of the Med in Summer.

We are heading back this November and will spend a week travelling around southern Spain prior to our TA on the Legend. Hotels that normally charge 150 - 200 Euros have been quoting us 50 - 60. Not bad.

This is what I kept thinking while reading this thread :)

We decided to go in October rather than August because of the heat and the crowds. Travel with temps in the 60's and 70's sounds a whole lot more comfortable than the 90's, at least to us.

For those of you from sunny hot America, then I can see the attraction of temps in the 60/low 70's. But for us poor Brits, whenever we go away we want to know that we're going to get decent weather so 90C, BRING IT ON :D

In the summer months the whole of Europe is on vacation too. As to Nov well there is no garantee but last year we had really great weather well into Dec but on the other hand you could get really nasty weather.

It is all a question of luck in November. Here in Europe we have what the Europeans call the "Summer of St. Martin" or the English call "Indian Summer". It usually happens around St Martin' Day (11th November). The Saint died in Tours, France around this time of year in 397 a.d. This is an unusually warm and dry spell of weather that lasts for a week or so. It can be a little earlier or later.

The further south you go, the better at that time of year. This is why most cruise lines keep a more southerly route, calling at Malta, Tunisia, Morrocco, Egypt or the Canary Islands. In any case, the seas are never very rough in the mediterranean. Be careful of the Atlantic, though.

We went nov 15th two years ago and nov. 26th last year. transatlantics both times with three days in advance in rome. also once in june on a med cruise to spain/france/italy/malta/greece. hot, hot, hot and july and aug. even worse. last yr. we did a rome walking tour no jacket or sweater. 70 degrees, livorno we went inland and it was clear and 50. cannes was about 68. barcelona it was overcast and light rain for three hours then no rain rest of the day. cartegena spain, gibraltar, casablanca 75-80 and madiera was 70. the six sea days were 66-67 each day and ranged from sunny to cloudy but no rain. the year before it was similar but light rain in cannes and heavy rain half day in barcelona. lisbon was 77, the azores about 72 and bermuda 73 4 star hotel in rome 85 euros in november also and air over both times 400 dollars

The best time to cruise in Europe is May? June. The prices don't peak until July, school holidays haven't started and the weather can be good.

Mind you, at the moment we are suffering from the worst July weather in living memory. I am sitting surrounded by floods, we have towns and villages cut off and along with 349,999 other people we have no water supply because the flood water has knocked out our water pumping station. We are using temporary bowsers, the shops are shutting because they have no staff facilities and water is being distributed by the army and police as fights are breaking out over bottles of water. We are also suffering intermittent power cuts whilst they try to build a dam around the power station to hold back the flood waters. We are being told to expect the situation to continue for 10-14 days. How I wish I was off on a cruise tomorrow.:(

I am so sorry you are having such a lousy time, seen it on the news and it looks dreadful...not too bad up hear in the N.E.

Hope you get as much help as you need but knowing how slowly things can happen[ or not it ]doesnt look too good.

Sheila,

It sounds awful. I know that all of us Floridians (read that hurricane survivors) know what your going through. I wouldn't wish floods, rain, no power, and no water on my worst enemy much less on one of my cruise critic friends.

Hang in there!:D

I was just chatting with my TA and she was saying that she is annoyed that she is booked for july 2008 for europe because november is about half the price. She is going on carnival which I would have thought would be way less than RCCI anyhow. Is it because of the weather in november compared to july or something? Seems really out of whack to be almost double for a lessor line just because it is summer. We currently are on that same sailing as her but I can't pull my daughter out of school that long for the thanksgiving cruise- I don't think- maybe when my husband heres the price difference he will insist we do.

Nov is the cheapest ,whether it is the Med or the Caribbean, Nov thro, mid Dec is the cheapest airfares, people tend not to holiday with xmas pending.

While the prices may be really great, at this time many vendors are closing shop by November and excursions are not as plentiful for the same reason. This could change as some ships are staying longer but in November in the med last year a lot of things were already closed.

Two factors weather & season. Cold in Nov so people cruise in the Caribbean in the winter. Season - Example rates in the Caribbean are lower after spring break and before school vacation and then after school vacation and before Thanksgiving. In Europe some lines don't be relocate from here until summer (May) Some ships leave Florida and head for Med and then come back in the Fall. So there are more ships but bigger demand.

I am with Pacific Sandy - I think we were on the same cruise last November. I would never want to do some of the stops we did in the middle of summer with the high temps. When we were in Athens I think it may have been high 60's and with the sun shining I was very hot with all the walking. For a cruise that is so port intensive, with alot of walking and sightseeing, that is the perfect time of year. I would do that again in a flash. Even if it does rain as long as it is not pouring down you can still wear a poncho and do lots of touring.

Archived