zip ties

Suzque49

I saw a thread about putting zip ties on luggage when you set the bags outside for disembarkation.

Are zip ties allowed on airlines to "lock" your lugggage? I thought you could only use approved tsa locks. I think the zip ties would be great, no need to keep track of a lock key. :rolleyes:

TSA will get into your luggage if they want. They'll cut the ties. I would suggest not locking the luggage. Most luggage uses the same keys anyway. My mom lent us her luggage which was about 10 years old at the time. I had a piece of luggage I gave my husband for our wedding trip. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary with this cruise. So there was 15 years' difference in my mom's luggage from my husband's. His key fit her luggage and vice versa. Both were Samsonite.

Yes, you can use zip ties on your luggage. They're usually found in the automotive section of a store (Kmart/Wal-Mart)and are labled as cable ties. Be sure to pack a nail clipper in an outer un-zipped pocket to cut the ties :D . Yes, TSA will cut the ties if they want, but they'll replace it with a new tie.

There are also TSA approved combination locks that you don't need a key to unlock.

We always use zip ties to secure our luggage. We use a colour that stands out on our luggage - lime green or wild yellow, and that way we can tell if our luggage has been entered by either the TSA or someone else. If any of our zip ties are missing, then we stop and look to see what's going on. Usually the TSA will re-lock your bag with one of their own zip ties, in a creamy white colour.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We never use TSA locks--I buy heavy-duty (small) locks at Wal-mart or the hardware store and lock my bags with them. The airlines have never bothered my locked bags. The cruiselines aren't a part of TSA and don't care what kind of lock you use. But DO lock them!

(My theory is that a TSA employee could unlock the TSA lock, rifle through my stuff, and re-lock it! At least I would know, if my lock is cut off, that someone had been in my stuff!)

We never use TSA locks--I buy heavy-duty (small) locks at Wal-mart or the hardware store and lock my bags with them. The airlines have never bothered my locked bags. The cruiselines aren't a part of TSA and don't care what kind of lock you use. But DO lock them!

(My theory is that a TSA employee could unlock the TSA lock, rifle through my stuff, and re-lock it! At least I would know, if my lock is cut off, that someone had been in my stuff!)

You are talking about three different groups.TSA, airlines and cruiselines.

The TSA handles your bags BEFORE the airlines takes control. The TSA has the right to open any bag they want, locked or not. If there is a non TSA lock on a bag and you are not right there, it is cut off.

The airlines and cruise line can demand to inspect any bag, but they cannot open it without special circumstances. the normal procdre is for your bag to be segregated until you can be located to open the bag. If you refuse, the bag and you don't get to travel.

A great deal of the discussion regarding the plastic ties centered around how to secure your luggage prior to handing it over to the porters as they are employees of the PORT and not the cruise company. As such, the cruise line could not be responsible for any items removed from your luggage. TSA and non-TSA lock work just as well. The plastic zip ties were merely an alternative, and in inexpensive one at that!

You are talking about three different groups.TSA, airlines and cruiselines.

The TSA handles your bags BEFORE the airlines takes control. The TSA has the right to open any bag they want, locked or not. If there is a non TSA lock on a bag and you are not right there, it is cut off.

The airlines and cruise line can demand to inspect any bag, but they cannot open it without special circumstances. the normal procdre is for your bag to be segregated until you can be located to open the bag. If you refuse, the bag and you don't get to travel.[/quote

We have yet to have our "zip ties" taken off by the TSA. :)

I saw a thread about putting zip ties on luggage when you set the bags outside for disembarkation.

Are zip ties allowed on airlines to "lock" your lugggage? I thought you could only use approved tsa locks. I think the zip ties would be great, no need to keep track of a lock key. :rolleyes:

Zip ties are only good for accidental unzipping. To discourage theft use a TSA lock. If keeping track of keys is an issue (as it is with me), use a TSA combination lock. They're very small, usually have a 3 digit code, & you can code them all the same if you wish.

Zip ties are only good for accidental unzipping. To discourage theft use a TSA lock. If keeping track of keys is an issue (as it is with me), use a TSA combination lock. They're very small, usually have a 3 digit code, & you can code them all the same if you wish.

Zip ties are for much more than "accidental unzipping". TSA locks get cut off frequently. The Supervisor has the master key. If the Supervisor is at lunch, the TSA employee is lazy or one of a 100 reasons, the locks WILL be cut off.

I fly over 100,000 miles per year. I only use zip ties in bright colors. Not only is it easy to find your luggage, but you can tell when the luggage comes down the carousel whether it has been opened. TSA usually replaces (if luggage is inspected) with grey or creme. Thieves would be hard pressed to find bright orange, green or pink zip ties in a hurry.

Just remember to put the nail clippers in the outside pouch or you will be running around the ship or hotel looking for scissors or a knife. Take it from one who has done it numerous times.

I use cable ties all the time and have yet to have a problem. I use white, yellow or orange colored ones. I also have put cable ties on our luggage handles as an additional "identifier" to differentiate our luggage from similar-looking pieces.

I also put some nail clippers (and extra cable ties) in an outside pocket on my checked luggage, but also carry a pair of toenail clippers (which do not have a pointed/sharp lever on them) in my carry-on bag and have never been challenged about it.

Zip ties are for much more than "accidental unzipping". TSA locks get cut off frequently. The Supervisor has the master key. If the Supervisor is at lunch, the TSA employee is lazy or one of a 100 reasons, the locks WILL be cut off.

I fly over 100,000 miles per year. I only use zip ties in bright colors. Not only is it easy to find your luggage, but you can tell when the luggage comes down the carousel whether it has been opened. TSA usually replaces (if luggage is inspected) with grey or creme. Thieves would be hard pressed to find bright orange, green or pink zip ties in a hurry.

Just remember to put the nail clippers in the outside pouch or you will be running around the ship or hotel looking for scissors or a knife. Take it from one who has done it numerous times.

To each his own. The OP wanted an alternate suggestion to hanging onto keys & I offered what we always do. If you are cruising, you have more than airport baggage handlers to think about when considering all who handle your luggage. For me, I would be happy taking my chances on which bag a thief will break into if mine has a lock and the one next to me has a plastic tie, regardless of the color. I'm not worried about the TSA folks. Its easy to be a cynic, but theyre the good guys.

I also put some nail clippers (and extra cable ties) in an outside pocket on my checked luggage, but also carry a pair of toenail clippers (which do not have a pointed/sharp lever on them) in my carry-on bag and have never been challenged about it.

I'm a bit confused (which isn't an unusual situation). If you're using zip ties to prevent the pilfering of bags at the port, doesn't putting clippers in an outside pocket defeat that purpose?

I understand you can see immediately if your bag has been opened. But if things are missing, you're pretty much SOL, no?

I am betting that a thief is going to want to not take the time to search for nail clippers. So far, for about 30 airline trips since 9/11, I have not had anyone cutting open any of my cable ties. If they happen to have a knife on them then my theory is shot. I think that a thief is looking for unsecured bags without a lock or cable tie. If someone wants to get into a bag bad enough, it doesn't matter whether there is a TSA approved lock or not on it, IMO. A lock or cable tie is merely a deterrent IMO, and not a guarantee against intrusion.

I think that a thief is looking for unsecured bags without a lock or cable tie.

That's always been my theory. I suspect what they want is for you to not notice they've been in your bag until you're at home unpacking it; a missing cable tie or lock when it shows up at baggage claim will cause you to immediately check and make a trip to the airline's baggage office. I used to use one-time-only plastic ties with serial numbers so the would-be thief couldn't replace them even with an identical plastic tie; now I use TSA locks. Like you, I've never had a problem. I'm sure that thieves carry their own knives or scissors... And as you say, all this is merely a deterrent; no lock will stop a thief, just send them to an easier target. As for any potential loss, I'm covered by my home policy.

...If someone wants to get into a bag bad enough, it doesn't matter whether there is a TSA approved lock or not on it, IMO. A lock or cable tie is merely a deterrent IMO, and not a guarantee against intrusion.

True to all of the above, but it's just as true that a lock is MORE of a deterrent than a zip tie. And actually, I think agru has a point about clippers in the outer pocket defeating the purpose as it is now known that many people now do just that. If I were a thief it would be worth a 2 second pat to see if one were there. Then again, I'd probably just carry clippers in my pocket.

Archived