NEWS: "Sing-A-Long Wizard of Oz" Becomes Unique Hit Aboard Caribbean Princess

jsea

8/19/2004

"MOVIES UNDER THE STARS" INVITES PRINCESS PASSENGERS TO FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

"Sing-A-Long Wizard of Oz" Becomes Unique Hit Aboard Caribbean Princess

SANTA CLARITA, Calif (August 19, 2004) - Once each week, the Calypso Pool area of Caribbean Princess is filled with the joyous sound of voices singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "We're Off the See the Wizard." And not all of the singers are up on the ship's "Movies Under the Stars" screen. Passengers - young and old alike - have made Princess' showings of the "Sing-A-Long Wizard of Oz" one of the groundbreaking movie screen's most popular features.

A unique entertainment event for the cruise industry, the "Sing-A-Long Wizard of Oz" is a fully interactive film experience that lets audiences not only view a fully restored big-screen version of the classic film, but also join in as they celebrate the story of Dorothy and her fantastical journey through the Land of Oz.

Cruise staff members, cleverly disguised as Dorothy, the Scarecrow and other denizens of Oz, host the event, leading the crowd through a full audience participation routine -- including singing along with Dorothy and hissing at the Wicked Witch. Song lyrics are included on the screen so everyone can join in the fun. Plus all audience members get a "Perform-A-Long Fun Pack" with props to use at the appropriate part of the film - such as blowing bubbles to help Glinda the good witch on her way, or a noisemaker to simulate the creaking of the Tin Woodsman.

"Passengers really seem to love this sing-along," said Martin Hall, Princess' vice president of entertainment. "The event seems to have captured the imagination - and voices -- of our passengers, and it's quite something to walk out to the pool area to see everyone singing along, blowing bubbles and waving their magic wands."

Hall added that Dorothy's journey to Oz has been so successful that the line is offering the sing-along on the indoor screens of several other vessels as well, prompted by the initial response aboard Caribbean Princess.

The "Sing-A-Long Wizard of Oz" is one of many features shown daily on Caribbean Princess' giant Times Square-style LED screen. One of the new ship's most notable features, this unique, 300-square-foot screen has garnered rave reviews, screening up to seven movies or events daily, including family films and first run hits - such as "Shrek 2," which debuts this month - as well as concert footage and other special programming. In the evenings, lounge chairs are covered with special cushions and blankets and Princess' hallmark poolside service is available to enhance the viewing experience with free popcorn plus a variety of drink specials and movie nibbles.

"Movies Under the Stars" screens are scheduled to be added to additional Princess vessels sailing the Caribbean. First up will be Grand Princess when the ship makes her debut Galveston sailing in November.

Additional information is available through a professional travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or by visiting the company's website at http://www.princess.com.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na700

"...and it's quite something to walk out to the pool area to see everyone singing along, blowing bubbles and waving their magic wands..."

I will not be bad and say something inappropriate

I will not be bad ans say something inappropriate

"...and it's quite something to walk out to the pool area to see everyone singing along, blowing bubbles and waving their magic wands..."

I bet you break down and do it someday... remember you can always edit it, it might feel really good!

So how long is it before we get Sing-A-Long-A-Sound-Of-Music? Will there be passengers dressed as nuns, or in lederhosen?

And will Princess dare to put the Rocky Horror Picture Show on afterwards? (At a late night screening, of course.)

OK - I had to look at Princess' website to see if this was an April (August) Fools joke. This really is a Princess Press Release. Wow - I guess nothing will surprise me from here on out.

jsea - good to see you!

I saw some pictures of someone at Movies Under the Stars dressed as Dorothy and I have to admit I was thinking... "okay now, THAT person has really gone over the top here", so I'm glad to hear she was an employee! :o

I kinda like the nuns in lederhosen idea... and as for Rocky Horror - oh my LORD! I don't think Princess' demographic is quite ready for that idea yet!! :eek:

And if Chris is being good about the above comment then I will be too! ;)

And I sure hope Shrek 2 is still playing when I cruise in 43 days, but somehow I doubt it! (boo hoo)

TinaLee

I don't mean to be negative, but the Wizard of Oz thing didn't go over on the Golden. It wasn't out under the stars, but even the cruise director staff was making jokes about it. I guess somebody at the top thinks this is a great idea. I have personally hated the Wizard of Oz since childhood when the monkeys scared me to death. Then, ironically, I had to play a monkey in the school chorus Wizard of Oz rendition. Talk about damaging a person for life.

I like the sing-a-long idea, but please, not the Wizard of Oz.

So how long is it before we get Sing-A-Long-A-Sound-Of-Music? Will there be passengers dressed as nuns, or in lederhosen?

And will Princess dare to put the Rocky Horror Picture Show on afterwards? (At a late night screening, of course.)

Rocky Horror Picture Show?!?!?!?

I can't stand the antici..................................................................pation.

(heads off to make a loaf of toast)

OK - I had to look at Princess' website to see if this was an April (August) Fools joke. This really is a Princess Press Release. Wow - I guess nothing will surprise me from here on out.

Yeah, I did a double-take when I first read the secondary headline.

jsea - good to see you!

Good to see you too. We are planning to finally take the Beijing to Bangkok cruise on Pacific next summer. It will be our first Princess cruise in 4 years. So if we can get the family together and make it happen I will hopefully be on the Princess board (well, I should say Cruise Critic altogether) more often.

Okay...I have to disagree here.

We went to the Sing Along Sound of Music a few years back in Mpls at one of our classic theatres.

We dressed up in costume, paraded on stage for a "best dressed" award, had props, booed when the Baroness was on screen and cooed when little Gretyl came on.

It was a complete and total blast...they subtitle the song lyrics along the bottom of the screen so everyone can sing along...

Don't remember when we've had so much fun.

By the way...we took 1st place in the costume contest...must have been my cute 5 yr old red head dressed in leiderhosen that pushed us over the top.

I think it's a great and unique idea for Princess and I applaud them trying it.

Great way to let your inhibitions go...I say give it a try...you might really like it!!!

OKay- call me whacky, but I love this idea and can't wait to participate. For people that appreciate kitsch, but can't quite bring themselves to sing karaoke this would be a perfect compromise. Plus, the movie (and book) are absolute classics.

As for Rocky Horror- I'd also enjoy a screening of it. But, I could see how it'd be...er...a bit *much* for the average cruiser. Of course, no one would be forcing those folks to participate.

:)

they subtitle the song lyrics along the bottom of the screen so everyone can sing along...
When I last went in London, the scariest people were the "nuns" in the row behind who knew every word and note of the Latin chant at the beginning of the movie.

Made up for by the fact that my friend the birthday girl won the fancy dress competition with a 7 foot tall goat costume.

Any who would want to play Rolf, the whistle-blowing Nazi?? :eek:

Maybe we could leave Rolf out of it. After all cruising is supposed to be a happy time. Do you think anyone would notice if they just tried to escape without Rolf and his nastiness? The hills are alive........

I would do pretty good as Mother Superior. Had enough practise as a kid with a few of them. Lets see if I can find an old habit from one of my family members. :D

If we do Rocky Horror, I would like the road of Magenta the maid. (LOL)

When I last went in London, the scariest people were the "nuns" in the row behind who knew every word and note of the Latin chant at the beginning of the movie.

ROFL! My 18y/o daughter and all her classical singers in training friends ALL know that chant by heart! LOL!! AND they can sing along in perfect cadence with the Monty Python movie where the monks smack themselves in the face with the tablets... and know the actual words to the song they play on the Tower of Tower commercial... apparenty it is also from a classical music piece -don't ask me WHY they know this, but they do!

Archived