Help....

itchin2cruz

:) Hello!

I am planning on booking my first cruise for March or April of next year. I haven't decided on the Western or Eastern Carribbian yet. I am interested in being a "local" while in port (or as close to it as possible). Can any one offer any suggestions on the various ports in regards to bars, restaraunts, e.t.c. I want to do things that are less commercialized and touristy....

Thank you!

I think after you book your cruise you should list out the ports you will be visiting and then ask for information. There are just too many ports in the caribbean so you should narrow this list.

Whatever ports you visit there will be lots of bars and restaurants, so first book the cruise and then ask for suggestions.

Keith

:) Hello!

I am planning on booking my first cruise for March or April of next year. I haven't decided on the Western or Eastern Carribbian yet. I am interested in being a "local" while in port (or as close to it as possible). Can any one offer any suggestions on the various ports in regards to bars, restaraunts, e.t.c. I want to do things that are less commercialized and touristy....

Thank you!

I agree, there are so many ports in the Caribbean to choose from. I like the Bahamas because almost everyone in the ports speaks English, that made me feel more comfortable. I love Half Moon Cay (one of Carnival's stops), it was not commercialized, just beautiful and relaxing. Find ports you are interested in, then ask questions. Cruizin' is awesome!!:D

Thank you! I'm sorry I wasn't more specific but I am not sure where I want to go. That is one of the reasons I was asking for someone elses perspective. I have read alot on excursions and ports but most of what I have read has been the same thing over and over. I want something besides the Staw Market or Carlos & Charlies... You know what I mean? Like the OP mentioned, I want something less commercialized. More scenery, more locals, local restaraunts, less shopping. What are the safest ports to explore on your own in the Carribean?

• 2 weeks later...

Itchin, I'm so glad that you want to go off the beaten path. Most cruisers think they have to get a private tour or a ship excursion. But the Caribbean islands are so easy to see on your own. I've been to most of the islands either on a land vacation or on a cruise.

Rather than have me run down my entire list of islands, why don't you tell us what islands you're considering?

Ok YoPhilly, Help me out here. Why don't you tell me your favorite port and why it is your favorite port? I am planning on taking a Carnival Cruise and my options are pretty much either Cozumel, Belize, Nassau, Grand Cayman or St. Thomas, St. Maarten.... I am so confused. I think St. Thomas is beautiful but I've heard Cozumel is also. My absolute dream is Turks & Caicos but it is not on the itenerary of any Carnival ship that I am going to have to book.

Ok YoPhilly, Help me out here. Why don't you tell me your favorite port and why it is your favorite port? I am planning on taking a Carnival Cruise and my options are pretty much either Cozumel, Belize, Nassau, Grand Cayman or St. Thomas, St. Maarten.... I am so confused. I think St. Thomas is beautiful but I've heard Cozumel is also. My absolute dream is Turks & Caicos but it is not on the itenerary of any Carnival ship that I am going to have to book.

Itchin, I don't know what your interests are, e.g., snorkeling, history, etc. Even so, there's no way I could pick a favorite, but I'll give you my opinion on the ports you list, including what would be my least favorite. Keep in mind that I go to the Caribbean to get into the water, so that's my personal preference. These ports are all safe although you should always exercise normal caution as you would anywhere.

Cozumel is a great port for a variety of options. I've been there 3 times and always find something fun to do. There's a terrific reef there and you could grab a cab and go snorkeling on your own. Rent a car and go exploring the ruins on the East side of the island. Or you could take an organized tour over to the mainland to the ruins at Tulum. If you're into shopping (I'm not) there are plenty of stores in town. Wander around the side streets if you really want to go local. Avoid the Americanized bars and restaurants.

I haven't been to Belize, but I would defintely plan on swimming/snorkeling/diving there, if you're into that.

I've been to Nassau several times. This would be my least favorite of the ports you mentioned.

Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches. This is the place to be in the water, although my husband went to a town called Hell. He can't stay in the sun long. Don't expect much in the way of local culture...this is a very commercial island. I wouldn't care if I didn't go back. This is where people go to Stingray City. Disclaimer needed here: Personally, I'm opposed to swimming with stingrays, dolphins, etc. I think we should just leave them alone and let them maintain their natural behaviors, without human intervention.

St. Thomas has cystal clear water for swimming, snorkeling. You don't need an organized tour - just grab a cab to one of the great beaches. Like Grand Cayman, this island is very developed. You could take the ferry to St. John for more swimming or snorkeling in the underwater national park. St. Thomas is the cruiser's shopping mecca. You could go biking on Water Island.

If you want to do something really fun on St. Maarten, go on the Yacht Racing excursion. You sail in one of two America's Cup sailing yachts and race the other one. Yes, this one is touristy, but it's fast, exhilarating, and loads of fun. Do not take a ship excursion to Pinel Island - you'll be one of a couple hundred people over-running a sweet peaceful little islet. You could also grab a cab to a beach and get in the water. Lots of bars and restaurants in Philipsburg and Marigot. Shopping mecca again.

Does this help?

We really like Cozumel! :)

The Inca tour is fantastic! Be prepared for HOT! To me it is fascinating to walk in the footsteps of the ancients and wonder how they built the cities and where they went. RCI has a nice, day long, tour to Tulum. For long tours, ship sponsored tours seem to be the best because the ship will wait for you if one of its tours is late returning.

temple-frescos-castillo.jpg

And there is a fantastic beach there for swimming.

tulum-mexco.jpg

The Island of Cozumel has lots of things to do and great restaurants and shopping. It is easy to walk a block or two away from the main tourist road and find local places.

Archived