Airfare is Crazy

cot427

I constantly look for flights to Fort Lauderdale from Pittsburgh even though I booked them a while ago. I booked USair going down and southwest coming home. USair is nonstop and southwest has a stop in baltimore. total, it is $202.

$43

I just looked today, and they have several flights on Airtran (layover both flights, but idk) for $159. $43 cheaper. Thats some money I can use for escursions, shopping, but not anymore.

So now, I am stuck paying $202, but thats not bad. I always book about 5 months before my cruise. Now, it is only 73 days away.

My question is, is it always like this?

Airfares are based on supply and demand and also based on what the competition does. Sometimes a new player enters a market and other match suit or one airline decided to promote a fair and other match or whatever.

Usually I have had good success booking early but sometimes there will be a surprise in terms of price from time to time.

Keith

For within the US , yes, you will see low cost airlines run fare specials but getting the dates you need may be not so easy but bargains can be found.

For flights originating from the US and going to countries outside of the US, you may not have an advantage of waiting for "specials" to happen. Most unlikely you will find a bargain closer to your travel dates.

Try booking out of CVG (Cincinnati). I saw on the news today that CVG is the most expensive airports in the US. I researched for weeks trying to find cheap airfare to FLL. I ended up booking out of IND for $200 less per person. Thats a big saving for 1.5 hour drive.

Pittsburgh does have cheap fares, but usually you have to book in advance. It is a nice airport, I wouldn't consider any other airport that I would have to drive to, like Cleveland or Akron. I always say it is better to book early, but then there is a sail. You can never tell with airfare.

Pittsburgh does have cheap fares, but usually you have to book in advance. It is a nice airport, I wouldn't consider any other airport that I would have to drive to, like Cleveland or Akron. I always say it is better to book early, but then there is a sail. You can never tell with airfare.

I totally agree but when you save over $1000 for 5 people, it is worth the drive.

Try booking out of CVG (Cincinnati). I saw on the news today that CVG is the most expensive airports in the US. I researched for weeks trying to find cheap airfare to FLL. I ended up booking out of IND for $200 less per person. Thats a big saving for 1.5 hour drive.

We are flying out of Columbus on Skybus - lucked into the 10 each way tickets for a non stop Col to FLL flight in November when they released the tickets for the second daily flight. We ususally fly southwest out of Columbus, but they couldn't compete with this price - 40.04 a person round trip. Also, Dayton has Airtran to FLL flights come at a good price occassionally - just have to keep looking unfortunately.

While I am a big fan of Travelocity, I signed up for emails from Spirit Air. They have limited areas where they fly, but if you sign up for the emails, you will find some amazing bargains. I got an email from them last week for their new air service from Ft Lauderdale to Aruba- for $9! Of course, you had to book it within 24 hours from receipt of the email, and you have to get to Fort Lauderdale to catch the flight, but just wanted to cite an example of "crazy air fares".

I saw the same ad from spirit air, they only had 2 seats and were sold out in seconds!!! (I don't know that, but its how it looks)

Tickets to SanJuan, and other Carribean ports always go on sale in Summer for flights thru the 15th of November. The winter flights might go on sale briefly in Oct/Nov but you are very limited in choice.

However, that said, if you are booked on a flight and see the fare drop, call the airline, you can usually get a credit back on your card or at least a voucher good for a year.

K

Archived