Arubalisa- I need your expertise!!

beachdiamonds

Which beach would you pick to stay the day while in port- Radisson Palm Beach or the Hyatt on Palm Beach? Are they near each other, is one better than the other? I saw a map of the Hyatt beach and they had a huge amount of papalyas (sp). Thanks in advance!!!

Only resort guests are permitted use of the shade palapas. The Radisson actually has more I believe. At 14 acres of property, they are "supposed" to have the long stretch of property along Palm Beach (though imho Holiday Inn sure does come close or exceeds). Either way, neither resort sells day passes.

If you are only in Aruba for one day on a cruise below are some good threads on beaches.

Question about Palm Beach?

Photos of Eagle or Palm beach

Aruba Beach~Help!

Arubalisa, question about beach

Suggestions for inexpensive way to spend our day.. Day at Palm Beach Price Breakdown

Aruba photos, trip report + tidbits

Lunch at Eagle or Palm Beach?

Just returned

Anything else, just let me know.

Just to let you know, when we were on HAL a couple of months ago, and stopped in Aruba, we were told by the cruise director that Hyatt, Radisson and one other hotel (can't remember the name) welcome cruise guests. I was skeptical, but he was absolutely correct. We got off the ship, hailed a taxi, asked the driver which was the better hotel (he said Hyatt) and he took us there. He radioed a guy on the beach who met us as we arrived and he got us a nice area on the beach and told us we had complete use of all the facilities (pool, bar/restaurant, etc.). It was $5 pp for a lounge chair for the day and he set up a couple of us under a canopy area for shade and the rest of us who wanted sun he set us up near the water's edge. We had a great day and wouldn't hesitate to do it again next time we're in Aruba. Palm Beach is beautiful.

Just to let you know, when we were on HAL a couple of months ago, and stopped in Aruba, we were told by the cruise director that Hyatt, Radisson and one other hotel (can't remember the name) welcome cruise guests. I was skeptical, but he was absolutely correct. We got off the ship, hailed a taxi, asked the driver which was the better hotel (he said Hyatt) and he took us there. He radioed a guy on the beach who met us as we arrived and he got us a nice area on the beach and told us we had complete use of all the facilities (pool, bar/restaurant, etc.). It was $5 pp for a lounge chair for the day and he set up a couple of us under a canopy area for shade and the rest of us who wanted sun he set us up near the water's edge. We had a great day and wouldn't hesitate to do it again next time we're in Aruba. Palm Beach is beautiful.
Great deal if you can get it, considering the hotel guests are paying upwards $400 - $600 a night. $750+ during Christmas and New Years.

In 15 land vacations, 1 stay at the Hyatt, 4 at the Radisson and 3 at the Westin, have never once seen a cruise ship passenger allowed use of palapas or chaises. Must be a new arrangement.

Now if I could only find an inside cabin on a cruise ship that spent every single day in Aruba, I would be all set! :D

Lisa, I was quite surprised also that they allowed us to use the facilities. I was so skeptical about the information that the morning we were getting off the ship in Aruba, I stopped by the Purser's Desk to inquire if this was really true. I was told "absolutely." Out of the 3 choices (I can't remember the third, it wasn't a well known chain, I want to say Continental maybe?), the taxi driver said the Hyatt was the nicest. I will say, it was lovely. And we were able to avail ourselves of the bathroom facilities, pool, bar, etc. Maybe it's only open to Holland America passengers and since so many of them are in the "geriatric" range (at least they were when we cruised in late Jan/early Feb), not too many of them are beach goers. But we're in our early 50's and we loved it.

Arubalisa,

What's your favorite place to stay? We are planning a week vacation next summer and debating the differences in hotels. If we allow my daughter to bring a friend we may go for a timeshare rental at Casa del Mar but my husband really likes the looks of the Hyatt. For two rooms it would be very pricey though.

My all time favorite place to stay is the Radisson. Photos.

The Hyatt is also a beautiful resort. Photos

We especially prefer the beach at the Radisson since it is a bit longer and more stretched out.

We have also stayed at the Playa Linda timeshare which is located right next door to the Hyatt. That is also very nice. Photos

This Christmas we are traveling with my brother and his children, plus our daughter, we have 3 children total in our party. Because of this, we are staying at the Tamarijn. Photos

Their buildings are only 2 stories and each and every room is right on the beach. Kids 17 and under stay and eat free. :) We have read many good things about the resort. They are sister resort to and share all amenities with the Divi. Rooms at the Tam are newly renovated and though are supposed to be on the smaller size, after our last cruise cabin at 170 sq ft. It will not be any worse. :D

The new Riu will be fully opened at the end of October and from the photos I have seen this far, is going to be quiet spectacular. This resort is located between the Radisson and Westin.

Westin is also another choice. We have stayed there 3 times but when it was still the Wyndham. Another good choice. Newly renovated rooms but the windiest spot on Palm Beach.

We have stayed in suites at both the Radisson and Westin (again when it was the Wyndham). They would offer a private bedroom as well as a living room with, if the girls did not mind, pull out sofa. Possibly less expensive than 2 rooms. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the suites at the Hyatt.

Please feel free to email me if you need additional info.

You might want to check out the Playa Linda which in between the Hyatt and the Holiday Inn It is a very nice facility and has one of the best beach fronts . I stayed at the Holiday Inn last May. A nice place for the price but my Son stayed in a Suite at the Playa Linda for just little bit more. You can save alot of money by booking directly with the time share owners . Check out the Playa Linda Web Site

Thank you, that is all great information. I might try one of the suites. My husband really wants the hotel resort experience and Casa Del Mar seems much simpler than what he typically goes for. He loves the cruise experience and that's how we discovered Aruba. I'm printing out your information and may e mail later.Thanks billfish, I'll check out playalinda too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Arubalisa

Quick question Did a little research on looking a costs for a week in Jan of 09 and the costs were insane $1800 pp for a week at the Holiday Inn ( includes Air ) A week in Nov is under $1000 pp

Do you think this will change ????

This is good news about the Hyatt. I have friends and family coming in the fall and they like a beach with drinks and so forth. I'll be double checking with management but it seems this is the current policy. Used to stay at the Hyatt and never had a glitch. Everything always spot on.

Arubalisa

Quick question Did a little research on looking a costs for a week in Jan of 09 and the costs were insane $1800 pp for a week at the Holiday Inn ( includes Air ) A week in Nov is under $1000 pp

Do you think this will change ????

This is pretty much simply the difference between low season and high season.

Our family just returned from a land vacation in Aruba for 12 nights. I figured the price difference for our trip between summer and winter, enabled us to stay an extra 5 nights for a difference between winter and summer.

IOW, if we had vacationed in winter, we would have paid for 7 nights, what we paid for 12 nights in June.

Depending on what happens with airfares, you may see prices go down as hotels attempt to fill rooms by lowering their rates because fewer people are traveling. We use MCM Tours for our Aruba travel and have always found them to have the best pricing.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

We've been to Aruba many times (baby beach-to-the natural pool, Lighthouse to the Natural Bridge, the caves, Divi-Divi-to-La Cabana, etc.) and of course love it. Do you know if anyone offers water skiing?

Thanks!

Scott

While in Aruba we are supposed to visit friends who will be at their timeshare, La Cabana. Do you know how far that is from where the ships dock?

Is there a lot to do there? My husband will be golfing & I'm a little leary of going off on my own with just my kids. Everyone else is fine with sitting at La Cabana all day, but I'm worried about everything else I'm missing out on! I think my kids would love the Jolly Pirate, but I think it's too far away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

While in Aruba we are supposed to visit friends who will be at their timeshare, La Cabana. Do you know how far that is from where the ships dock?
Aruba is not that large of an island. Overall the island is about 19 miles long and < 6 miles wide. La Cabana is 2 1/2 miles from the cruise terminal.

Is there a lot to do there? My husband will be golfing & I'm a little leary of going off on my own with just my kids. Everyone else is fine with sitting at La Cabana all day, but I'm worried about everything else I'm missing out on!
La Cabana is a huge kid friendly resort http://www.lacabanabrc.com/
I think my kids would love the Jolly Pirate, but I think it's too far away. I think my kids would love the Jolly Pirate, but I think it's too far away. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jolly Pirates departs from MoomBa which is a little over 4 miles from the terminal. In addtion your kids would love Jolly Pirates, if only for the rope swing. :)

Arubalisa - thanks so much for your quick response!

I'd like to talk DH into letting me take the kids on the Jolly Pirate, then take a taxi to La Cabana afterwards. I'm not sure he will go for it, he would prefer we stick to an excursion offered by the cruiseline & unfortunately nothing comes close to the JP:(

Arubalisa - thanks so much for your quick response!

I'd like to talk DH into letting me take the kids on the Jolly Pirate, then take a taxi to La Cabana afterwards. I'm not sure he will go for it, he would prefer we stick to an excursion offered by the cruiseline & unfortunately nothing comes close to the JP:(

You are very welcome. Try showing your dh the link here JOLLY PIRATES is the BEST. It is definitely an extremely popular excursion with the members of Cruise Critic. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, plans changed & now hubby will be joining us on the Jolly Pirates! I submitted my reservation & am now waiting for the confirmation. Under recommended by I put this forum/ArubaLisa. We are really looking forward to this:D Thank you!!!

Well, plans changed & now hubby will be joining us on the Jolly Pirates! I submitted my reservation & am now waiting for the confirmation. Under recommended by I put this forum/ArubaLisa. We are really looking forward to this:D Thank you!!!
That is great news! Enjoy!

Archived