St Charles Streetcar

WiredRacing

WiredRacing and steamboats...There wasn't a map to show a tourist like me where the line is running and where it might be running in November. Does the streetcar and its connecting lines have a map available to acquire when in town, to help me with my confusion?

Thanks

Don

Don,

Here are two maps but they don´t show the streets

http://www.norta.com./routes/cbdmap20070708.pdf (FQ and CBD)

http://www.norta.com./routes/map20070708.pdf (whole system)

There are 3 streetcar lines:

Riverfront (No. 2) going from Julia Street to Esplanade Av along the river.

Canal Street (No. 47 and 48) going from the foot of Canal Street along Canal Street (there are two "ends" one is the City Park)

St. Charles Street (No. 12) starting at Canal Street / corner St. Charles Street and going out on St. Charles Street to Lee Circle (end of CBD) and returning back to Canal Street on Charondelet Street. There´s a bus No. 12 covering the rest out to the Garden District.

Because of the lack of the streetcars which were flooded the Canal Street line is covering Riverfront too. I saw them working on the power lines in St. Charles Street in April but there´s still a lot of work and I don´t know whether they restored the streetcars already.

Hope that helped a bit.

steamboats

steamboats...But I am still confused about what line or what part of a line you and WiredRacing are talking about as not yet up and operational?

What is the line number that you two are talking about and also if you could let me know the numbers of the lines that are 'NOT' running at this time.

Thanks to the both of you again! :)

Don

Don,

Open the FQ/CBD map. A bit left to the center there are two lines (green and blue/purple marked with Canal. The green one numbered 47-48 is the Canal Street streetcar. To the right the big blank area is the French Quarter. To the left is the Central Business District. In the middle of the left part there are two red lines numbered 12. That´s the St. Charles Street streetcar. To the FQ it´s running on Carondelet street, from the FQ it´s running on St. Charles street. Both lines meet at the left side in a circle. That´s Lee Circle. That´s how far the streetcar is going. The red No. 12 continues to the left (out of this map) but this part is still served by a bus. All the rest of the No. 12 line used to be a streetcar (check the other map for the rest of the line).

The green Canal Street streetcar merges with the purple No. 2 on the bottom of this map which is also marked with Riverfront Tracks. This No. 2 is the third streetcar called Riverfront streetcar.

steamboats

• 1 month later...

The last I heard, they do not expect the entire line to be completed until some time next year. It still just runs from Canal to Lee Circle, but is supposed to be extended to Napoleon Avenue (about half way) some time this fall.

A lot of damage was done to the underground electrical system, and the repairs are difficult, especially since so many electricians are doing residential work.

Archived