Roman hotels that don't break the bank

Here are some more ideas for those on a tight budget. Religious houses offer basic accommodation.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/guest.htm

I stayed at Santa Maria alle Fornaci 2 years ago. It is only about 500 metres from the Vatican and serves a basic continental buffet breakfast (no other meals). Its about 85euro per night.

If you're reasonably good on your feet you can walk almost all over Rome from there (although its a bit too far to walk to the Colosseum). You're so buggered from walking all over the place you just fall into bed at night anyway.

They have a website but its in Italian but it has photos which give you an idea..

OK I translated the page. Which makes for quite funny reading in itself.:D

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.romeguide.it/ALBERGHI/relig_mariafornaci/mariaallefornaci.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DPadri%2BTrinitari%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2005-36,GGLG:en

In absence of architectural feature that denies accesses to the handicapped:

I think this means they have handicapped access. Its a double negative, so you can never be sure.

OK I translated the page. Which makes for quite funny reading in itself.:D

In absence of architectural feature that denies accesses to the handicapped.

I love reading mangled translations!

YoPhilly,

"Roman hotels that don't break the bank"

What an oxymoron that is. I haven't found a hotel "in Rome" that I can afford, that I want to stay at. Even the 1 and 2 star hotels (and I wouldn't stay at them) want around $200. If they have twin beds, they don't have an elevator. If they have twin beds, and an elevator, they don't have a balcony. I smoke, but not in the room. Can't seem to find all four in one place.

It just amazes me, the photos all show twin beds right next to each other. My friend and I like each other, and we travel together, but we don't sleep together. I can't quite figure out why the twin beds would be right next to each other without any space between them. I know most of the hotels have doubles, not twins, but I have seen some with twin beds.

I have found two alternatives. One is about 3 km from the Vatican (Atahotel Villa Pamphili) and they offer a courtesy shuttle to/from the airport and to/from the Vatican. Right now they are at $216 per night. And the rooms look like they are double the size of downtown rooms with a terrace or balcony. I'm looking at using this hotel, taking their shuttle to the Vatican and from there use the hop on/hop off bus as it has a stop there. If their price keeps going up, I have a back-up at Civitavecchia in a Bed and Breakfast for $97 per night. The only problem with the B&B is the hour train ride into Rome to sightsee. But we'll do what we have to do to save $300.

I'm not worrying too much about it right now, as October '08 is a long way off and anything can happen to the dollar/EUR exchange rate and prices between now and then. Can't even think about booking until the 1st of December anyway. Thanks for the link, some of those hotels look pretty good.

Yes, you definitely have to set your own priorities. For us, we wanted to be right in the heart of Rome, so we really don't care if the room is small, or no elevator. I can huff and puff up the stairs a couple of times a day if it will save me some $$. There are several charming hotels that I was considering, all of them well below $200.

I hope you find something that works for you. (I also hope that our USD will bounce back soon.)

My favorite hotel in Rome is now up to 245 euros per night for a single. However, with a lot of digging around, reading reviews, etc. I have found an alternative very close by for 165 euros per night. No, it's not quite the same, but it still looks nice enough, includes breakfast, is centrally located, and has some Italian character -- things that are important to me! I'm looking forward to giving it a try in October; maybe I'll have a new favorite.

That's less than I paid for so-so hotels on recent trips to NY and San Diego.

So don't give up, it can be done!

Yes, you definitely have to set your own priorities. For us, we wanted to be right in the heart of Rome, so we really don't care if the room is small, or no elevator. I can huff and puff up the stairs a couple of times a day if it will save me some $$. There are several charming hotels that I was considering, all of them well below $200.

I hope you find something that works for you. (I also hope that our USD will bounce back soon.)

YoPhilly

I might be able to huff and puff up the stairs, but with luggage in tow, it would be more than I want to tackle. I will be 62 and my friend 78, and 50 pound suitcases are no easy feat to move around. From my past experience in Europe, they don't have skycaps to help with the luggage, you're on your own. I'm seriously considering the B&B in Civitavecchia at $97 per night, then just have to ride the train an hour into Rome with no luggage. Maybe we will see some of the countryside on the train.

Take a look at Hotel Virgilio and Hotel Centro. We stayed at both last year and both were well priced for a quad occupancy room and were very centrally located, as we walked to a lot of the sights. We booked them both through venere.com and paid the hotels directly upon check-out.

We just booked the Arena Guest House for January at $107/night for double. "it is a lovely bed and breakfast style guest house located only a few minutes walk from the Colosseum and Roman Forum" www.arenahouse.com

Tripadvisor had great reviews!

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d547674-r3182786-Guest_House_Arena_Rome-Rome_Lazio.html

Archived