What about shopping??

LouisV

Personally........ I don't think there are many bargains left in the Caribbean . Years ago, there used to be but for many things the little you save isn't much more than sales tax but the risk you take can be considerable.

Valid warranties? Who knows until you need to use it.

Service? Authorized Dealers may not always service these items.

Grey Market products? Possibly.

Returns? Unless you travel often to the Caribbean, a return may be difficult.

Price items at home and know what it would cost. Is it worth it to take any risk at all if you can buy the same thing for only slightly more at home with the comfort of knowing the store you are dealing with?

And don't forget there are Customs limits on the amount you can spend. Your customs limit is doubled when shopping in a U.S. Territory....U.S. Virgin Islands for example.

JMHO.....

As to jewelry.......that's a whole different story. That requires at least a two semester course......or more. :D

I agree with Sail. Too many risks for the small amount saved. Whether it's electronics or jewelry, I'd prefer to buy from a local store.

Roz

are the liquor and if you are flying from the port that may not be worth the hassel since TSA started screwing up carry on rules. You can save 50% or more savings in some ports like ST. Martin and St. Thomas but it only pays if you are driving.

I hate to dissaude you from doing some touristy fun shopping if that is what you like.

Just think twice about buying electronics.....which might be old models or could have all sorts of things wrong.

Even shop for gold if you wish. If you go into any reputable store, the chances are huge you are getting 14k or 18k or whatever you are expecting. If you absolutely love the piece, buy it. Just don't buy it for 'investment'. Sometimes in our busy lives, we don't have time to look for the pretty gold earrings or necklace/bracelot or whatever. Jewelry is a great momento purchase that you will enjoy each time you wear and remember you bought it on your wonderful cruise. (:) I have certainly bought my share of it).

The point of my post was to advise to be careful and think about WHAT you think is worth buying in the Caribbean. Someone here will absolutely truthfully tell you about the wonderful buy they got on a camera or such and they probably did. But they well might not have. There are some here who regretted their purchases.

If you like shopping on your vacation, by all means browse and see if something interests you but do not believe you are getting the buy of the century.

Does this make any sense??? :D

I hate to dissaude you from doing some touristy fun shopping if that is what you like.

Just think twice about buying electronics.....which might be old models or could have all sorts of things wrong.

Even shop for gold if you wish. If you go into any reputable store, the chances are huge you are getting 14k or 18k or whatever you are expecting. If you absolutely love the piece, buy it. Just don't buy it for 'investment'. Sometimes in our busy lives, we don't have time to look for the pretty gold earrings or necklace/bracelot or whatever. Jewelry is a great momento purchase that you will enjoy each time you wear and remember you bought it on your wonderful cruise. (:) I have certainly bought my share of it).

The point of my post was to advise to be careful and think about WHAT you think is worth buying in the Caribbean. Someone here will absolutely truthfully tell you about the wonderful buy they got on a camera or such and they probably did. But they well might not have. There are some here who regretted their purchases.

If you like shopping on your vacation, by all means browse and see if something interests you but do not believe you are getting the buy of the century.

Does this make any sense??? :D

yes, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for!~ I was thinking more along the lines of shopping for jewelry.

Be very careful buying gemstones. The synthetics have gotten so good that it takes a very trained eye to be absolutely sure it is 'nature grown' vs. 'lab grown'. In some cases, chemical tests are required.

Again.....not to say I have (and millions of other people) have not bought mounds of jewelry. There wouldn't be so many jewelry stores in St. Thomas, St. Maarten and just about every island all over the Caribbean. (You will find the hugest number in the two named islands). Jamaica certainly has jewelry stores but I would be VERY reluctant to buy much there.

You best chance of 'safely' buying is to charge your purchase to AmEx. When you get home, bring it to a local jeweler for an appraisal. If you find it is not what you expect, AmEx is particularly good about reversing a charge when you notify them you are returning an item due to it having been misrepresented to you. NOT a guarantee they will do that but some have reported here they successfully returned and item and got a credit.

I'll let someone else describe to you the "Guaranteed Shops" program all cruise ships have. I have never 'participated' in their program and cannot vouch for how good or bad they are.

Everytime I look at the diamond wedding band I bought last year in Diamond International I remember my cruise. However, I needed to have the ring sized and they told me they had a branch in NY. Not really true.Just a store front. They would take my ring and send it away and I wouldn't have it for up to two months. I did have it sized in St. Martin where I bought it, but because of the humidty it was really too big. I kind of knew it when they gave it back to me, but we had 1/2 hour to catch the boat and I thought I could fix it for free in NY.

On the other hand, I've bought amber on the boat and I just love what I got. I also bought a beautiful black onyx slide in Mexico and I love that too. I probably won't stop buying jewelry, even though I live close to Fortunoffs and they have great prices. The thing is, they don't always have the great designs that I see while on vacation and somehow, money spent on vacation seems like play money. :D

I second Sails suggestion to put those purchases on American Express because they are so good about correcting problems.

Guaranteed Shops program means nothing!:o ...The port lectures are paid promotions..Don't fall for it..All this means is that the shop has paid HAL & the other cruise lines to promote their business..

HAL & the other lines will do nothing for you if you get home & find that the piece was worth much less than you paid for it:mad: You have to read the small print about their guaranteed stores....When I had a problem with a piece purchased on a HAL ship I contacted HAL..They said they could do nothing for me & that I had to contact the vendor..Fortunately the vendor did refund our money... It's the old saying Caveat Emptor..

I agree with Sail & the others, good bargains are hard to find & many times you can get the exact same pieces here in the States for the same amount or even less...However it is fun to buy something on a trip & I truly believe if you purchase from the high end stores such as Little Switzerland, Cardow, Stearns & Amsterdam Sauer, you will get exactly what you paid for with a guarantee....They have some very unusual & beautiful pieces & I'm very happy with everything we've purchased from these stores....

Try going on the Cruise Critic Ports of Call forum & enter the ports you are stopping in..There are many threads about shopping, but be very careful....Therr could be folks on the forum who are in business in these ports...You can never be sure..You should have knowledge & do some serious investigating about jewelry before you leave..

Also try the cruise critic "money saving tips" forum..On this forum

Several people had problems with Diamonds International in (April of 2005)..A poster named "CFLOTIST" said he was a certified GIA gemologist..He gave us some good info. about buying stones & jewelry...I downloaded into Microsoft WORD several pages of the thread..Unfortunately the search engine on CC does not seem to be working today...If you send me an e-mail to me: serendipity1499 @yahoo.com (don't put the space between @ & Yahoo) ..I'll be glad to forward it to you..Put in subject "cruise critic_shopping for jewelry"

Have fun shopping..:) Betty

Everytime I look at the diamond wedding band I bought last year in Diamond International I remember my cruise. However, I needed to have the ring sized and they told me they had a branch in NY. Not really true.Just a store front. They would take my ring and send it away and I wouldn't have it for up to two months. I did have it sized in St. Martin where I bought it, but because of the humidty it was really too big. I kind of knew it when they gave it back to me, but we had 1/2 hour to catch the boat and I thought I could fix it for free in NY.

On the other hand, I've bought amber on the boat and I just love what I got. I also bought a beautiful black onyx slide in Mexico and I love that too. I probably won't stop buying jewelry, even though I live close to Fortunoffs and they have great prices. The thing is, they don't always have the great designs that I see while on vacation and somehow, money spent on vacation seems like play money. :D

I second Sails suggestion to put those purchases on American Express because they are so good about correcting problems.

I agree, Carol.

When we were in St. Thomas (same day as you!), I bought a wedding band with diamonds at Little Switzerland. I felt comfortable shopping there as they are owned by Tiffany. I think of our cruise everytime I look at it. I had lost my engagement ring several years ago, and bought this to replace it. Perfect. I also bought a lovely gold chain at a store across the street...to wear with a Sailor's Valentine DH had given me for Christmas. And then replaced DH's wedding band in St. Maarten (nope...never did find his after the grandkids removed it from my bureau!).

I did buy some binoculars last year in St. Thomas and those are fine.

I once bought a camera in St. Marteen on a land trip, and when something went wrong, I had no recourse (I paid cash).

There's a great little Fresh Produce shop in St. Thomas that I've hit the last two years...same prices as in the USA though.

And then there are t-shirts for the grandkids and Christmas ornaments...guess I can always find something I need to buy!

Archived