Anybody who has experienced BoB in St Thomas

23bchhp

Did a helmet dive in Bermuda many years ago and the BoB last March in St. Thomas. While I enjoyed both, I think the BoB was superior and have a great photo that fascinates other folks when they see it. In fact when I took it to be developed, the photo shop made me an enlargement for free for agreeing to let them post it as their picture of the week. :) As the other poster mentioned, you get in the scooter in the water. I had a bit of a problem holding my breath and going underwater to get my head into the helmet but there are divers alongside you and with their assistance, I was able to do it. The only other problem I experienced was that the clear plastic face shield kept fogging up on me, reducing my view somewhat. One of the divers reached in and splashed water on it to clear it up. It is certainly a unique excursion. I expect that you will see it offered in other Caribbean (and perhaps Bermuda) ports.

This is a not to be missed experience!!!!!!! Well worth the money. We do not normally book excursions thru the cruise line but we did with this one as the price was basically the same as booking it independantly and we were not worried about getting back to the ship before sailing time.

23bchhp

I did it last year and loved it too. They give you snorkel equipment to use whilst waiting to have a go on the BOB. It seemed a very popular excursion. Our boat was full, even in late November. I was also very impressed with the amount of safety input.

If you do it, have a great time!:)

Phil

Hi all. I did the BOB 2 weeks ago in St. Thomas. It was great. First - here's their link - https://www.bobusvi.com . Now personal info... The top of your head is about 12 feet below the surface. You ride adevive that's like a scooter and it is steered similar to a car - turning right for right, etc, but it's like 2 handles you hold. Anyway, I was down for about 25 - 30 minutes. The BOB is in under the water and you jump into the water, go below the surface and swim under the helmet and sit on the seat - takes about 5 seconds. If you wear glasses, you can put them on at this time, as the helmet is full of air, kinda kile putting a clear globe over your head. You can get your hand into the helmet, hence the glasses comment. We had about 40 folks on board and there were 12 or so BOBs. GO... You'll love it. Feel free to drop me a note. Hopefully I'll have all the cruise stuff on my website this week. ENJOY

You may want to call Celebrity about this. We were on Princess and it was not in their excursion brochure, but was available on the ship thru the excursion desk. As I understand it, BOB won't book directly, only thru the excursion process.

You are right about BOB not booking directly. I sent them email and told them it was not being offered and they said it must be sold out, but they only book through the cruise lines. I called Celebrity, but they said I have to talk to the excursion desk and they aren't open on Sunday. I will be calling them tomorrow.

Archived