Your help on Oahu Driving Itinerary?

Marie-Claude

To all Hawaii experts - and there are many on this board, I would like to have your honest opinion on our day plan and driving itinerary for our day in Oahu. We will be there until late at night so it may seem like a long day, but we want to make the most of our limited time there.

So here it is:

Day in Oahu and Driving Tour

1- Early morning, Walking tour of China town

2- Return to ship to pick up Car rental shuttle

3- From Rental Car take H2

4- Kukaoiloko Birthing Stones (Wahiawa)

5- Dole Plantation - quick stop for ice cream!!

6- Hale’iwa - quick drive through village, maybe stop at a shop or two

7- Puu o Mahuka Heiau - stop for a visit of the ancient sacrifice temple

8- North shore beaches - Banzai pipeline or Sunset Beach - Stop for Lunch (shrimp trucks, shaved ice cream) and enjoy the scenery

9- Drive down the east side to Kualoa Park - Chinaman’s Hat

10- Heeia - Byodo Temple, Heeia Pier

11- Kaneohe Bay - Coconut Island

12- Kailua or Lanikai - stop at the beach

13- Halona Blowhole

14- Hanauma Bay

15- Dinner in Waikiki

OK - this might be slightly ambitious - I realize we will not spend a lot of time in most places but is this itinerary feasible?

Can I skip anything? What are the musts?

Thanks to all the Hawaii experts - your help in invaluable!

MC:)

Betcha Beachchick will be concerned- after reading her posts for a couple months now- she really wants people to slow down and enjoy the islands- she says too many go home needing a vacation from their vacation- don't feel I'm picking on you- we're only slightly further west from you- I felt that this was perhaps one in a lifetime - after 13 hours - so pack it all in- well, I'm trying really hard to back off a little bit- after she called me on it ( in a very nice way)!

Even without the walking tour of Chinatown, it sounds like an ambitious itinerary, espescially with dinner in Waikiki and then returning the car. I'd be concerned about stopping for dinner, then having to return the car, then get back to the ship. Waikiki restaurants tend to get crowded and reservations while not absolutely necessary would certainly be desireable. Alos parking is scarce in Waikiki, there are some public garages and on street parking up around Kapiolani Park, eastern end of Waikiki, also up by the Ala Wai canal, but it is pretty hard to find, lot of luck involved

You might consider skipping the dinner in Waikiki for one of the restaurants at Aloha Tower Marketplace, parking is definitely a lot easier and you could return the car, then go to dinner at the marketplace.

http://www.alohatower.com/dining.html#restaurants

We ate at Chai's Bistro and while I wasn't impressed with the type of cuisine, we did get to see the Cazimero Brothers. As you can see on that link there are several restaurants, if you still have the car, most of them comp the parking, at least two lots within walking distance., but personally I'd return the car, then go to eat.

Betcha Beachchick will be concerned- after reading her posts for a couple months now- she really wants people to slow down and enjoy the islands- she says too many go home needing a vacation from their vacation- don't feel I'm picking on you- we're only slightly further west from you- I felt that this was perhaps one in a lifetime - after 13 hours - so pack it all in- well, I'm trying really hard to back off a little bit- after she called me on it ( in a very nice way)!

Well, the good thing is that we're on a circle cruise from/to San Diego which means that we have 4 days before we get to Hawaii to rest up and get ready, then 5 days to recuperate before getting home!!

We're also in Oahu from 7 am until 2 am... so that leaves us with a full day. I'll take your advide into consideration, but I really want to drive around the island as opposed to say in Honolulu and Waikiki.

Not sure when you are going, I'll look for your report!

Thanks for the advice - I'll try to weed out the itinerary a bit!!

MC

... we did get to see the Cazimero Brothers. As you can see on that link there are several restaurants ... but personally I'd return the car, then go to eat.

Thanks Dan

I didn't know the Cazimero brothers and now I do!!

I might take your suggestion of returning the car then getting a cab back for dinner...

Thanks

MC

Well, the good thing is that we're on a circle cruise from/to San Diego which means that we have 4 days before we get to Hawaii to rest up and get ready, then 5 days to recuperate before getting home!!

We're also in Oahu from 7 am until 2 am... so that leaves us with a full day. I'll take your advide into consideration, but I really want to drive around the island as opposed to say in Honolulu and Waikiki.

Not sure when you are going, I'll look for your report!

Thanks for the advice - I'll try to weed out the itinerary a bit!!

MC

As you are on a circle cruise and as you have only the one day, I can understand your wanting to pack the day full. Normally I would (as LakeErieLady suspects) say that it's just far too much to do. But you've got all those sea days, so I'll only say that it's too much to do and truly enjoy very much. I agree with bug_dan that you might rethink dinner in Waikiki and instead return the car in the early evening and eat somewhere close to the pier. There are plenty of restaurant options within walking distance.

IMO, the problem with this type of itinerary is that you have so many quick stops that your whole day will be drive, stop for a minute, drive, stop for a minute, etc. I really do suggest that you pick fewer items and plan more time at some of them. Spend some time on Kailua beach giving yourselves a little break. Skip Hanauma Bay entirely because by the time you get there, it will be very late in the day and the only real reason to go there is to snorkel. IMO, you could also easily skip Coconut Island and Chinatown. The blow hole will only be worth the stop if the ocean is churning that day. My first trip (September), DH took me there--and there was not one bit of water coming up. Boring.

I suggest that you go ahead and par down your stops a bit so you can make the most of each one. Truly, I understand your desire to see/do as much as physically possible. It's what I wanted to do on my first visit. My DH had spent quite a bit of time working in the islands off and on over the years. He let me make my lists, shook his head, and waited for it to dawn on me that it was not the best way to enjoy Hawaii. It happened about the third day when I looked at my lists and asked myself, "Are you out of your mind? You can't do all this. You're really not having fun and this feels like 'work.' We're going to end up sick in bed for 2 weeks and unhappy with our memories. Maybe I should hang loose a bit, as my smart DH suggested."

It's equally true that I have become a rather vocal advocate of realizing that it's not possible to see/do everything AND that Hawaii deserves more from us than a quick "been there, done that" viewing. Find the things that truly speak to you and devote your day to them. It's perfectly fine to have many different stops; it's perfectly fine to have some of them be short "look at that" stops. It's not fine (IMO) if you go home with most of your memories being of driving all the time with only superficial glimpses of a hundred things.

As always, JMHO.:)

beachchick

Beachchick:

As always you speak of wisdom!!

I'm very happy with your recommendations as this is exactly what I was looking for - facts! You read guidebook and they make everything sound interesting but sometimes you get somewhere and you wonder why the heck they made all that noise about it!

So the list was litterally a list of interesting points from the Frommers guide and I appreciate the fact that some places are not really worth stopping at - I will definitely skip Hanauma Bay, coconut island, and blow hole.

I'm surprise though that you recommend skipping Chinatown. Any particular reason?

If you had one day, would you stay in Honolulu/Waikiki or would you head out?

One last thing, is that I'm travelling with my Mom (late 70's) and while she's OK to walk and visit, she does get tired and can't stay in the sun for a long time. That's why driving as opposed to walking all day might be a better option.

Thanks again - I truly appreciate your help!!

MC

Beachchick,

You have great info. Please one more question. We are staying at the Halekelani for two nights and one full day.

I want to spend the first full day doing beach type things. My husband wants to head to Pearl Harbor.

Since our ship sails at 8PM would this be a good thing to do the day of sailing?

Thanks,

Nancy

to add to what beachchik says....sounds hard to do in one day to me too. I dont see when you are going? The waves on North Shore only come up really high during the winter, thats why all the surfing contests are then.

You also are assuming there will be a lunch truck sitting there to eat from, I would stop in one of the little towns and eat, the trucks move around.

Haunama Bay, are you just going to drive and walk in from wherever you park and look? You wouldnt see the fish. Changing into your suits, getting your snorkeling equipment, bringing something to feed the fish, this is not something you should plan to do in 30 minutes or so lol. You will park far probably. Its coral and hard on your feet, I bring old tennis shoes so my tender feet dont get cut and a bag of frozen peas. Im assuming they still allow this. Frozen peas float before you ask about other things. You want the fish to come to you to take pictures and see them.

I cant imagine doing this in one day either.....but you might add in the sugar shack in Kahuku or the turtle bay hilton and drive back there. I like Pounders Beach in that area. Id like to see the falls. My spelling is awfull, Haleiwa? thats the town I would stop in for my shaved ice, there is a little place there that is the one that is famous for it.

I lived North Shore and before that Hauuula. (near Laie which most know because of BYU and the PCC). I know that area well. I wasnt a beach chick, we raised "male chickens" (lol), my live in was Filipino. But he was one of the original surfers and his son was too, so I was into that too enough to know some about it. You wouldnt see many waves if you are there before Thanksgiving usually. Pounders is a body surfing beach, but fun. Lots of little beaches, but Pipeline you can see from the road. I actually lived right across from Pipeline. We could see the top of the wave from our front porch.

I dont see when you are going? The waves on North Shore only come up really high during the winter, thats why all the surfing contests are then.

Firefly333:

We'll be in Oahu on October 13. So it looks like we're wasting our time driving up to the North Shore?

In that case, we may simply stay in town maybe go to Kailua Beach for a drive.

MC

Wow, very ambitious. We were in Oahu for 4 days, 3 nights both pre and post cruise in April, rented a car for two of them...and still didn't see half what you're planning. I too started off with a list of things I wanted to do, and then with help from these boards, pared down the list to a handful...and enjoyed every one of them. You have to keep in mind that the renting and returning of the car takes longer than you think, and include the time it takes for the shuttle to get you back and forth, as the rental car location is typically not close to the pier nor the airport.

What we enjoyed the most was the incredible scenery as you're driving, and sometimes you stop at places you didn't intend on...simply because it is a "photo op", which cuts into your "planned time".

As you've heard many times, enjoy the journey...sometimes the destination isn't all that! :D

Sara.

I too started off with a list of things I wanted to do, and then with help from these boards, pared down the list to a handful...and enjoyed every one of them.

Sounds good... what is the itinerary that you would suggest?

You have to keep in mind that the renting and returning of the car takes longer than you think, and include the time it takes for the shuttle to get you back and forth, as the rental car location is typically not close to the pier nor the airport.

Good point! Thanks

What we enjoyed the most was the incredible scenery as you're driving, and sometimes you stop at places you didn't intend on...simply because it is a "photo op", which cuts into your "planned time".

That is sort of my plan - take the road and stop where we feel like it - but knowing what worth seeing along the road is useful... but even more useful is what is not worth seeing!!

What I'm trying to decide from all of your feedback is whether we should take the drive, or stay in town...

MC

MC,

Wanted to post this site for you for info on a "cicle island tour"

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/oahu/ci.htm

LOVE this!! Wow, that is a great indication of what might be of interest with great driving direction and time!! Thank you so much for that link!!

One more question for you all:

IF we decide to drive around the island, is it better to go up North through the center of the island and come back down on the east coast, or do the opposite??

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your input and I'm rethinking that day. So your help is really great!!

MC

Agree with the car rental taking longer than you think.

The direction you drive in depends on where you start. If you go to Pearl Harbor before - go clockwise. You don't want to backtrack through Waikiki. If you start in Waikiki - go to Leonards for malasadas and drive counter clockwise.

It took us 6 hours to drive from Honolulu up the H3 (gorgeous) to Kailua and around the North Shore - stopping at a few overlooks, shave ice, shrimp truck, etc. And back down the H1 back to the hotel. At the end of all that - DH was exhausted and cranky. Chinamans Hat is seen while driving all along Kaneohe bay - you can stop when you get really close.

Without a reservation, expect to wait about an hour for a good restaurant. - We ate at Dukes.

One of the most enjoyable things we did was swim on Waikiki in the moonlight. Just walk straight through the Moana Surfrider.

We drove to Kailua the next day via the Pali - stopped at the overlook for a different view.

Chinamans Hat is seen while driving all along Kaneohe bay - you can stop when you get really close.

This is the first I red about this. What is it?

Thanks for the great info GB2G. I'm read a lot of your posts already and I can't wait for the review.

I thought Chinamens hat would be something you had to detour to drive to so we weren't going to go out of our way for it. I was more tickled "running into it" than anything else on our trip. We could see it in the distance after takeoff on the way home too.

I hope to have my report up tomorrow. :)

Beachchick:

As always you speak of wisdom!!

I'm very happy with your recommendations as this is exactly what I was looking for - facts! You read guidebook and they make everything sound interesting but sometimes you get somewhere and you wonder why the heck they made all that noise about it!

So the list was litterally a list of interesting points from the Frommers guide and I appreciate the fact that some places are not really worth stopping at - I will definitely skip Hanauma Bay, coconut island, and blow hole.

I'm surprise though that you recommend skipping Chinatown. Any particular reason?

If you had one day, would you stay in Honolulu/Waikiki or would you head out?

One last thing, is that I'm travelling with my Mom (late 70's) and while she's OK to walk and visit, she does get tired and can't stay in the sun for a long time. That's why driving as opposed to walking all day might be a better option.

Thanks again - I truly appreciate your help!!

MC

I'm happy to help when I can. I hope you love Hawaii as we do.

As for Chinatown, it's not that there's anything "wrong" with it. It's actually kind of fun (and the best lei/flower shops are there). It's just that you've got many other things for the day. If you drop some of your other items, you could do a little walking tour of Chinatown if you like. Just don't get too late a start on your island adventures.

With your one day, I highly, highly recommend that you tour the island rather than stay in Waikiki/Honolulu all day. Waikiki/Honolulu is a big city with many interesting things, such as the Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, and Waikiki Beach (more fun than you might expect). But it's full of hustle and bustle and a PITA to drive and park. For anyone who doesn't want to rent a car or take a commercial tour, exploring around Honolulu and Waikiki by bus and the trolley is not a bad option. But, as you'll have the rental car, go for the sights. Once you're out of the city, it's a whole different world.

I suggest that you drive basically as planned, but instead of continuing down around the south to get back, drive across the island on the Pali (61). A stop at the Pali Lookout is well worth the time and will more than make up for the blowhole and Hanauma Bay. This also gives you more flexibility in your stops along the way.

It's good that you're keeping your mother's limitations in mind. However, with a full day that's another reason not to start with a walk through Chinatown. You'll be up, out, and about plenty. OTOH, if you decide you want to "warm up" for the day, you could certainly do that early for a bit. I don't know; I'm going back and forth on that. I'm going to go back to my original thought and say to skip Chinatown and focus on your island tour. For a rest, there's some shade on Kailua in the afternoon, so you don't have to crisp in the sun. Kailua is, IMO, just about the best swimming beach on Oahu and a top pick for all of Hawaii. It's not a "commercial" beach with mobs of people. It's much more what you might think of as true "Hawaii." About that time you may both want some time to just sit and listen to the ocean.

The north shore is worth driving any time of year. During the winter the waves are, of course, almost always fantastic, but it's beautiful in the summer too. You just won't see the pipeline being much of a pipeline (if at all). The drive is great though. Have you considered stopping for lunch at Turtle Bay? Wouldn't be cheap, but it's absolutely gorgeous there.

Let me know how else I can help. I'm sure you will both have a great trip.:D

beachchick

p.s., to sound more like a "local," remember that it's shave ice (no "d") and just "ice" not "shave ice cream"; and as if that's not enough terminology, you want to ask for ice cream in the bottom of your shave ice! (Trust me on that.) At Dole, the pineapple whip is the thing to get. A great way to start your day.

Beachchick,

You have great info. Please one more question. We are staying at the Halekelani for two nights and one full day.

I want to spend the first full day doing beach type things. My husband wants to head to Pearl Harbor.

Since our ship sails at 8PM would this be a good thing to do the day of sailing?

Thanks,

Nancy

Absolutely you could go to PH on your cruise departure day. Get up at the crack of dawn and head there early. If you only want to do the basic PH exhibits and go to the Arizona, you could do that, head back to the hotel, check out, and head to the pier.

If you want to do more than that (such as the Bowfin, Missouri, or Pacific Aviation Museum), you'll need to get up early, check out, and have the hotel hold your luggage. OR you could ask in advance for a late checkout. Sometimes they'll let guests check out as late as 3 pm with no penalty (or even 6 to 9 pm if space is available and for a small "overstay" fee; we did that at the Royal Hawaiian and it basically gave us an extra day because we had a red-eye back to the mainland). Either way, you'll have enough time to get to PH, get in line for Arizona tix (that's the primary reason to go early because the tix are free on a first-come-first-served basis starting at 7:30 am; when they're gone for the day, that's it; no one can reserve in advance and everyone must stand in line, no exceptions), and then do whatever other things interest you at PH. The Missouri is fantastic; the PAC is still small and in it's first phase, but I've got to tell you that it gave me chicken skin to see the tower and all the bullet holes from the attack. And it's not as if people can just drive to Ford Island and tour; it's an active military installation, so you have to have tickets to either the Missouri or PAC to even get on the island shuttle (at PH).

Are you renting a car? If not, then a taxi is your most expedient way to PH. The Bus will get you there and back, but usually takes well over an hour. It's inexpensive, but not time effective.

beachchick:)

lol and unless things have changed, asking directions in terms of north, south, east and west, locals probably will scratch their heads and then point.

They are used to giving directions on a round island, toward the ocean, toward the mountains, or toward a city. such as "Kaneohe side" if you are driving toward that city.

Maybe it was because I lived out in the country though.

Marie-Claude....I nearly always agree with Beachchick's excellent postings. I have an idea to add to some of the many suggestions. Instead of eating in Waikiki (someone suggested Duke's and there will be parking problems and a line for dinner),....after you pass Hanauma Bay and are coming back toward Diamond Head, you will pass through Hawaii Kai where one of the best restaurants on Oahu is located.

Roy's is located on your right in a shopping center with easy parking. You will probably not be dressed for slightly upscale dining, but they will serve their menu in the downstairs bar for anyone who's come from their day a little scruffy. A meal can actually be made of their delicious appetizers. I've made many spontaneous stops there and never had to wait for a seat.

You could then drive leisurely through Waikiki without worrying about parking and even drive through China Town if you decide not to do it in the morning.

For Toute123....The Halekulani is so lovely that I wouldn't "waste" time away from there. I'd go to Pearl Harbor the day you leave and allow yourselves to enjoy the lovely hotel. It's one of the world's most beautiful hotels; you've made a great choice!

murphysmum;)

Beachchick:

Thank you so much for all your advice.

Mom and I have looked at your suggestions (and everyone else's also!) carefully and we'll take your advice on skipping the southeast and drive back from Kailua on the Pali Highway and make a stop at the look-out. At this point we would return the car and depending on how late it is, walk to dinner near Aloha Tower, or hop in a cab to have dinner in Waikiki - we'll play it by ear. The ship doesn't sail until 2 am - so we can enjoy the evening in town.

As for Chinatown, I might just do it early in the morning as soon as the ship docks with my brother and his wife - we'll do an hour walk then pick my Mom up and get to the rental car location.

Our ship is docked at Pier 10 - looking at a map it looks really close to Chinatown, but sometimes map can be deceptive - does anyone know how far it is to walk from Pier 10 to Chinatown??

Murphysmum:

Thank you also for the restaurant recommendation - I'll make good note of it in case we end up in that area. Parking is always a good thing to have handy!

Again, thanks everyone - it is very reassuring to have the opinions of those who have 'been there and done that'!!

MC;)

judyf:

There's two maps that clearly indicates pier locations.

The best in is my Frommers guide but it's also available online at this link:

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/9_downtownhonolulu.jpg

The other one is in the Oahu Travel Planner I ordered from the following site - I've placed the order online by filling a request form and I got it within 1 week (in Montreal!!):

http://www.visit-oahu.com/home.aspx

Hope this helps!!

MC

Archived