lower price on websites other than Carnival?

IndigoFairy

Hi there. I am hoping some kind soul(s) will help me understand how Carnival works in terms of price reductions.

A few months ago I booked a Sept 2007 cruise with a guaranteed inside cabin. I live to travel, and my budget is my biggest concern. They could put me in steerage and I'd be fine. ;) I am not expecting any room upgrades and am happy just getting the best deal possible. Having read the boards faithfully over the past few months, my understanding is that if a price drop happens after I have booked and paid, I can call Carnival and have the difference credited to me somehow(sometimes as onboard credit...? This point is still fuzzy.).

This is my concern: I can see that several travel/cruise sites are booking this ship at prices lower than I paid AND offering free upgrades, onboard credits, etc. However, the Carnival website price remains higher than I paid. Does this matter? Can I call Carnival and cite the other websites' lower prices and promotions and expect to get any sort of discount?

I really appreciate all of your help.

Indigo, What Bigduck said is correct. You are probably seeing the price before taxes, port, etc. To get a actual price from an online booking site start the booking process, # of pass, state you live in, and select a price catogery. You will then see the "Total price" for the cruise before you are ask to input payment info.

Also, take into consideration cancellation fees. Carnival does not charge a cancellation fee before final payment. Not all TA's(online or otherwise) charge this fee, but many do, and think it is something to consider. Also, when you book directly with Carnival you are able to speak with Carnival directly. This is very convenient, especially if there is a price drop.

Marie

Aha - verboten! Great piece of info to know.

I agree with Exalthim, as well, regarding booking directly with the company.

Thank you all so much for your help. Checking just Carnival.com for lower prices will definately free up some time. :)

TA's are verboten to advertise lower fares then Carnival. If you see a lower fare it is probably with all the port fees and other "non-commisionables" removed.

One other thing to consider is that when you have a question or problem with your booking, you cannot speak directly with a Carnival rep about it -- you have to go through your travel agent.

One of the folks in my party had to cancel, and when I called Carnival, they said I had to go through my TA, who is on vacation :( .

This led to dealing with a new TA and lots of on-hold time while she checked with Carnival to answer my questions.

I saved maybe $50 per person using the TA, but in hindsight I should have gone with a PVP. Next time!

It all depends when you book. Carnival fluctuates their rates up and down based on supply and demand. If you book a long time in advance you tend to get the lowest rates.

I recently booked through a travel agent offering a theme cruise this fall. My rate including all taxes was quite a bit cheaper than what Carnival is currently offering. Some of these theme cruises that are put together buy a block of rooms well in advance at the lower rate. So as the ship begins to fill up and Carnival adjusts their rates, yes you can get a cheaper rate through an agent then what Carnival is selling at.

Without knowing what you paid or what site you are seeing what looks like lower prices on, no one is going to be able to tell you for sure.

For instance....when I go to a certain online site and look at their prices...it says inside starts at say $269 for Ecstasy....but when you look at Carnivals site the same date says prices start at $299.

The difference is Carnival's start at price is from a IS or Inside Guarantee and the other site shows the price from a 1A guarantee, which was running about $30 less than the IS guarantee.

What I do is then once in a while go thru pretend booking and just book without any codes so the 1A comes up on Carnival's site and then you can see where the other site gets the "insides starting from" price and know why the price doesnt match.

There have been a few times I once saw $20 less on another site in the mail. Another time a site was offering a OBC, but these are rare.

Archived