Extremely Picky Eaters

MaryLS

This is a case where using Traditional dining is a plus. The waiters get to know you and anticipate your tastes.

Princess is wonderful accommodating personal tastes and dietary requirements. A couple of years ago, a Jewish couple sat at our table. Not only did the gentleman observe the dietary laws but he was diabetic as well. Every night, the Maitre D' stopped by the table with the menus for all of the meals -- breakfast through dinner -- for the next day. He was able to set up his own meal plan for every meal. Princess did it not only willingly but with a lot of grace.

....has serious problems. Monotomy/repetition can be a sign of autism/Ausperger's syndrome.

Years ago, on the old Sea Princess (later Victoria, now Mona Lisa), there was a young man (18 or so) travelling with his mother, seated a couple of tables away. Trip was 15 nights, Osaka Japan to Vancouver BC, via Honolulu.

The table captain, on the second or third day, pointed out to us that he ate the same thing three meals a day: steak, french fries with ketchup, and a coke!

We watched, and that is all he ordered for the entire trip.

I like steak and fries too - but not 3 times a day for 15 days!

This is the same young man whose necktie always matched the mother's dress!

Michael

:) I have a neice that will eat nothing white, cream cheese, milk, potatoes, white bread, etc etc etc - I just call it weird....and she is in her 30s...

My BIL will not eat anything green. Green grapes-no....red grapes-yes. Green apples no, red apples yes. You get the picture. This guy is like 40 and still does not see how ridiculous this is :rolleyes: .

My DH is a steak and baked potato man. He'd eat it all the time if it didn't get boring. Lucky for me, he's willing to try something else 6 out of 7 nights on a cruise and has enjoyed the variety. I hope your picky eaters will give something different on the menu a try at least once. It's part of the experience! :)

i have the answer, don't take those 5 whack jobs with you. life is to be explored and new things to be tried. that is why you go cruising and don't just stay home. tell them to eat whats put in front of them or stay in their cabin with tuna and jelly or peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches

My son is a very picky eater (eats 24/7) and had no problem on the Caribbean Princess last week. There is always grilled chicken, great stead, spagetti & meatballs, chicken fingers, any kind of macaroni with cheese, butter, sauce, anything you want. And he could have eaten the pizza and burgers all days they were that good.

I don't mind picky eaters but I hate it when I invite people to dinner and before they will accept ask what I'm having. That is so rude. The point of getting together is to enjoy the company, the food is secondary. There is always something they can eat.

I have never had problems. They would make my meals without sauces, then have the sauce on the side for me to add my own. They also have sugar free desserts everyday or if you want fruit or cheese. They will also make plain pastas, steak, chicken and fish.

I am sailing with a friend that has a Tobasco fetish. She puts it on everything. I do not eat it much so I do not know, but do they have Tobasco on the ship for passengers to use? I wonder if I should suggest to her to carry her own bottle in her purse?

Donnie

Ditto my husband...he even puts Franks Red Hot on his oatmeal in the morning. Yuck.

But...we do traditional dining and the waiters usually bring a lazy susan of every available hot sauce for our dinners.

I found Princess exceedingly accommodating in this respect. I have some complicated dietary rules and they treated it like it was not a problem. My waiter told the head waiter and then it was all taken care of. Each dinner, I was provided with the next night's menu. I gave my order the night before and if there was any conflict between the dish and my rules, the Chef prepared a separate version of the dish for me. Between this kind of accommodation and the standard items on the menu, you could probably get your situation squared away.

For instance, I don't eat pork and can't even have it on the same plate. They would ensure that there were no bacon bits on my salads and that the asparagus wrapped in bacon (not specified on menu) was substituted with another vegetable. I can't have meat and dairy mixed in the same meal and they would assure that a sauce/soup did not do this. I think dietary restrictions are more difficult to argue against than are picky eaters, but I imagine they would still be accomodating. If you haven't guessed I keep non-strict kosher and Princess has a kosher option, so they could have accommodated that way. I didn't want that b/c I figured quality would be less - probably premade stuff they microwave. So, I'd give it a try and see what they can do.

Lunches are probably less of a concern b/c they always serve burgers in the dining room.

I didn't care for Horizon Court. I'm pretty sure they call it that because the good food is somewhere just beyond the horizon.

We sailed with some picky plain eaters in our group. The waiters were happy to have sause/dressings put on the side, provide iceberg lettuce salad pasta without sauce etc. The always available menu was great for this group- they enjoyed bake potatoes, fries, chicken breast and steak. The rest of us could enjoy the more adventerous food.

We opted for late seating, and for a table of eight. I'm scared now that we will get stuck with picky eaters who will complain about everything. I'm going to change that seating arrangement to a table for 2, but ask for a table that will seat 4 people. With all the dishes I plan to try, we'll need the extra space.:D

Archived