Don't Swim - How Far Out Is Safe With A Vest?

Leo Jay

I don't swim and can't float. I'll be going to the Carribbean (Tortola, St. Thomas, San Juan) in a few weeks, and I'm wondering about how far out it would be safe for me to venture out with my snorkel vest and fins. Last year, my first time snorkeling, I stayed very close to shore -- I'd guess... 15-20 feet or so? Considering I hadn't even been in the ocean in 20 years or so, I felt pretty comfortable, not really nervous at all, but I don't want to do anything stupid. Suggestions?

An inflated float vest can deflate at any time. (Ask my husband about his Half Moon Cay snorkel nightmare!). Bear that in mind when deciding your comfort zone. I wouldn't go any further with the vest than I would without.

On the other hand, unless you have very low body fat, you should be able to float without the vest. Practice your floating technique, check with any lifeguard-type around to ask about current strength, and stay close to a strong swimmer.

I have to say you are braver than I - I would never have tried snorkeling if I couldn't swim!

I don't swim and can't float. I'll be going to the Carribbean (Tortola, St. Thomas, San Juan) in a few weeks, and I'm wondering about how far out it would be safe for me to venture out with my snorkel vest and fins. Last year, my first time snorkeling, I stayed very close to shore -- I'd guess... 15-20 feet or so? Considering I hadn't even been in the ocean in 20 years or so, I felt pretty comfortable, not really nervous at all, but I don't want to do anything stupid. Suggestions?

Yep, this is one of those questions that's hard to reply to. Apparently for a non-swimmer you appear to be comfortable with snorkeling. In diving we never dive alone. You should consider the same with your snorkeling. I'd 'suggest', if you are snorkeling alone or with another person not comfortable handling an in-water situation, then the answer is no deeper than you can stand. If you have someone, then go by their judgement (my wife's not a strong swimmer so when we go snorkeling I try to keep her in an area out of the current with interesting things to see (I'm a certified rescue diver)).

Also you might consider a snorkel tour where they have guides in the water with you. Approach them on the way out and explain what you'd like to do and your skill level and ask if you can stay next to them. I know on the ones I've been on they almost always ask who is new or needs a bit more help and gather these people for extra care.

Hope this helped,

Randall

Yep, this is one of those questions that's hard to reply to. Apparently for a non-swimmer you appear to be comfortable with snorkeling. In diving we never dive alone. You should consider the same with your snorkeling. I'd 'suggest', if you are snorkeling alone or with another person not comfortable handling an in-water situation, then the answer is no deeper than you can stand. If you have someone, then go by their judgement (my wife's not a strong swimmer so when we go snorkeling I try to keep her in an area out of the current with interesting things to see (I'm a certified rescue diver)).

Also you might consider a snorkel tour where they have guides in the water with you. Approach them on the way out and explain what you'd like to do and your skill level and ask if you can stay next to them. I know on the ones I've been on they almost always ask who is new or needs a bit more help and gather these people for extra care.

Hope this helped,

Randall

Thanks -- I'll be with my GF, who's a good swimmer, but maybe we'll consider a snorkel tour so I can get an objective judgement about what would be too risky.

You want a well secured, "non-inflatable", USCG approved Type III or better Personal Flotation Device such as a properly sized Water Ski Vest.

You definitely need someone along as a Dive Buddy who is strong enough to tow you in if you get in distress. You shouldn't go any deeper than your buddy can stand and breathe.

Just wanted to add a little note here for what it is worth?:o

I had a scare last year when snorkeling in our local waters.I wasn't using a dry snorkel, and waves from a passing boat entered my snorkel.

I had a laryngeal spasm, and literally could not breathe.

(I found out later, many do drown from that...they call that "dry drowning".)

My hubby was near by, and threw me a life preserver, so he could tow me back to the boat. It was some time before I could breathe normally and it was the scariest experience I have ever had in my life!

I have snorkeled for 40 + years, and have a new appreciation of the dangers. I use a snorkel vest now, and because many of our cruise excursion snorkel sites have quite a strong current...I am thankful I do.

If I didn't swim at all, I would definitely not use a snorkel vest, I would use as Snorkel2Much has suggested.:)

I really think you would be the only person to answer that question.

I agree. That and take some swimming lessons.

I really don't understand the part about me being the best judge. It would be quite easy for someone like me to say "Eh, so what if I can't 'technically' swim? I'm an athletic, coordinated guy -- as long as I don't panic, I'll be fine", but instead it seems good sense to seek the objective judgment of people who actually have a lot of experience in the water and are familiar with the dangers and practical precautions/guidelines. What am I missing?

As for the use of a life vest vs. a snorkel vest -- do snorkel vests really have a significant rate of failure/inadvertent deflation? I just spent money on one -- should I forget about it, or use it and just stay in VERY shallow water?

Tried to learn to swim many times as a kid, but got frustrated because everyone tries to teach me to float first, but I don't float. Maybe if I can find someone to teach me despite that.

Hi again,

I agree, I have a saying, "you don't know what you don't know". That's why I think going with a snorkel excursion with professional snorkel guides might be your best bet.

Also a few other points.. I sink like a rock in fresh water but float like a raft in salt water. The viscosity of salt water is much more dense, thus you float easier. Also just to hedge your bet you might pick up a 3mm "shorty" wet suit (they're readily available at most scuba sites, diversdirect, scuba.com, leisurepro, etc). They fold easily and the neoprene will help keep you floating better, like a personal floating raft (plus they help keeping you warm in the water).

Also in the water you have to have an 'exit strategy' for devices, because they CAN fail. In scuba, 90% of our training is how to handle an emergency in the water. So while the likelihood of your vest failing is very small, the reality is it may, and if it does what do you do? It's not being paranoid, just prepared.

Again, if you feel comfortable in the water that's most of snorkeling. Diving is one of my favorite activities and I love seeing all the life under the water but at no time do I become so enamored with it all that I don't loose my sense of awareness of my environment. Have fun, the reefs are something really to be seen by everyone.

Randall

OKay, so, i've never understood this - I have a few friends who don't swim and do snorkel. I CAN swim, and have been swimming since i was 5 years old and feel I swim well - and always inflate my vest part way - as "geoshar" - i believe said - anything can happen in the water - especially at depths of even 15-20 feet. I can always deflate and reinflate as I see fit. Waves and water can be choppy, people get tired, with groups of people close together, masks can be kicked and so forth. I guess from going white water rafting and being thrown out in Class III rapids, I have a great respect for any water whatsoever.

So, I say, learn to swim. Usually, any place that teaches scuba will also teach you to swim. It is true that you can float in salt water, I can, but you still need to know how to float/swim. For now, to go snorkeling, I would say, you need a lifevest that will not deflate, you can buy them at sporting goods stores.

EVERY snorkeling excursion I have been on is one where they have driven a boat out into the ocean and dropped us off into a reef or something to snorkel. And, sometimes, they ask you to jump from the boat - no ladder. So, check that out before you book.

I really don't understand the part about me being the best judge.

I was just thinking that only you know what you are comfortable doing. Only you know your physical abilities and skills. Seems fitting that you should be the one to decide what is best for you, not unknown people on the internet. That's what I was thinking.

I was just thinking that only you know what you are comfortable doing. Only you know your physical abilities and skills. Seems fitting that you should be the one to decide what is best for you, not unknown people on the internet. That's what I was thinking.

Yes, but an intelligent person assesses his own comfort level based on information, not cocky ignorance and a naive sense of indestructibility. I'm not asking people to assess my fitness level, just to provide me with whatever universally applicable safety considerations they might have knowledge of. Which, thankfully, some have done.

Hi again,

I agree, I have a saying, "you don't know what you don't know". That's why I think going with a snorkel excursion with professional snorkel guides might be your best bet.

Also a few other points.. I sink like a rock in fresh water but float like a raft in salt water. The viscosity of salt water is much more dense, thus you float easier. Also just to hedge your bet you might pick up a 3mm "shorty" wet suit (they're readily available at most scuba sites, diversdirect, scuba.com, leisurepro, etc). They fold easily and the neoprene will help keep you floating better, like a personal floating raft (plus they help keeping you warm in the water).

Also in the water you have to have an 'exit strategy' for devices, because they CAN fail. In scuba, 90% of our training is how to handle an emergency in the water. So while the likelihood of your vest failing is very small, the reality is it may, and if it does what do you do? It's not being paranoid, just prepared.

Again, if you feel comfortable in the water that's most of snorkeling. Diving is one of my favorite activities and I love seeing all the life under the water but at no time do I become so enamored with it all that I don't loose my sense of awareness of my environment. Have fun, the reefs are something really to be seen by everyone.

Randall

Thanks.

Yes, but an intelligent person assesses his own comfort level based on information, not cocky ignorance and a naive sense of indestructibility. I'm not asking people to assess my fitness level, just to provide me with whatever universally applicable safety considerations they might have knowledge of. Which, thankfully, some have done.

I think you need to swim......and float........you have to be able to do that.........to snorkel in water over your head. I do not know how you can go out........ignor the swimming part......because that is what you will be doing out there.......trying to keep afloat......and you will not have time to snorkel.

If you want to snorkle.......select a spot with water to your waist.....no deeper.......and floating and swimming will not be as critical.......and you will have time to snorkle.....;)

OK - you want an opinion

I don't float either, but since I swam competetive for a time I guess I'm considered an above average swimmwer

I've worked many years as a life guard, swimming teacher, life saving instructor and pulled a BUNCH of people out of the water both when 'on the job' and just passing by.

Professionally I also pulled many people off of and out of the water. In most cases these were people who thought they had the necessary skills to do what they tried and learned a bit late, they didn't.

If you do not know how to swim you should not go into water deeper than your kneecaps....take showers, not baths...

You CAN learn how to swim. Knowing how to swim and having the practice and stamina to get out of trouble are not the same thing....but it is a necessary skill to begin with.

A flotation aid is an AID...not intended to be relied upon. It CAN deflate, you CAN get sep'rated....all number of things can and WILL go wrong. Get distracted while snorkeling and suddenly discover yourself WAY out...never happen you say? So did the person I ended up towing in over a mile one fun vacation.....they tried to keep up with me and like a fool I believed them...until "I don't think I can go another foot" :eek: The tour boat operator saw my signal for distress....and happily waved back. An hour later when I got the victim and I within earshot he explained "I thought you were waving to tell me you were OK." Not actually being a diver he was not familiar with a diver's signals for OK versus distress :mad:

Don't flame me - you asked...this is my informed and experienced opinion.

If you do go for it - make sure you do so with a highly qualified buddy - one who can handle themself AND YOU should a problem arise.

Well said, Capt !

A final thought about inflatable float-aids:

People usually snorkel to see fish. Fish don't like clean, sandy sea bottoms. They like jumbled rocks, reefs, wrecks, and other structure. You're likely to encounter underwater currents near these structures. Most snorkelers try to get close to where the fish are.

If you're a poor swimmer you're much more likely to have uncoordinated body movements in the water, and to panic/thrash if someone kicks your mask or dislodges your snorkel. Do this near sharp structures and your inflatable float aid (and you) rapidly become ballast. (That means you'll sink)

You say your GF is a strong swimmer, is she up to the physical challenge of dragging your panicked or motionless body back to the boat/shore? Possibly against the current?

Thanks for the information. Sorry I gave anyone the impression I was trying to be a daredevil who would flame people for information, since I started the thread out of exactly the opposite mentality, but thanks for the information.

Bravo Capt BJ!

OP...You CAN learn to swim (and float). Please consider calling your local YMCA or the like and setting yourself up with some private lessons with a patient, well-qualified Water Safety Instructor. Explain your situation to them. Tell them how you've lost patience with lessons in the past because you were being taught to float first (it's sort of like crawling before walking). A GOOD WSI will figure out a way to help you. You'll have more fun with your GF and your snorkeling trip will be safer for you and HER!

Best wishes and happy travels...

Thanks all, for the info and suggestions.

Leo Jay......glad to see you take the warnings seriously and with appreciation.........because the bad results can be deadly............it is always best to learn to swim or stay afloat......you never know when you will need it.......;)

Hope you can find some snorkeling that meets you ability......it is a great experience.....:)

in salt water!!! I, too, do not float well in fresh water. Later worked as a lifeguard and now am a 23 year PADI Divemaster who floats like a cork in salt water. The 3mil shorty is a good suggestion, keeps the sun off your back as well as the neoprene is floaty.

Try floating in shallow salt water with your snorkel vest deflated. And work from the result to a comfy situation in the water. Remember, you will be MUCH more bouyant in salt water.

OK - you understand we're trying to help so....

Let's talk floatation aids. What does USCG test for? Well without getting to into the weeds, a float aid is intended of course to provide floatation - X pounds of lift. But life jackets go beyond that. The various classes of life jackets are grades of the jacket's ability to keep your head out of the water and in the highest classes, turn a victim from a face down - drowning - position to a face up. The jacket is built to roll you over in the water - those big bulky horse collars the cruiseline has in your cabin. You should try on a full Type 1 Navy battle jacket! The other classes are jackets for special purpose, skiing, fishing, work; which are designed to provide freedom of movement at the cost of less "righting movement" and sometimes even the complication of auto-inflation and the ability to be punctured. These are accepted because some aid is better than no aid; altho as a boater knows these jackets while encouraged to be worn at all times may NOT satisfy the legal requirements for the jackets needed on your boat...for an emergency

So what all this means is thet when you put on what is essentially a life jacket and try to snorkel face down you are going to be fighting the very thing the jacket is trying to do. The exception to this is an actual scuba diving buoancy compensator which are now designed with thought to distributing the 'lift' to complement the horizontal diving position, versus the ones of 20 years ago which were just modified safety vests.

As a poor floater, I do find wearing a shorty, or farmer john's of 3mm (or more) to provide a nice lift when I simply want to paddle around... Ever watch 'deadliest catch'? .... See those survival suits? They provide thermal protection and 'lift' w/out a sep' life jacket.

Try out a shorty in the pool ... see how easy it is too swim, float, tread water and snorkel. Then consider an inflatable safety vest over it.