Soda/Pop/Coke Package

What do you call the soda/pop/coke package?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the soda/pop/coke package?

• I call it pop.
    • I call it soda.
    • I call it coke.
    • I call it something else.

I was wondering how many people call the pop package the pop package, soda package, or coke package, or other. This has been on my mind, because I was just in the south this past weekend (North Carolina), and I ordered pop. I said "What kind of pop do you have?" They said you mean soda.

See, here is Pittsburgh, we call it pop. We also call you all "yinz" instead of you all or y'all in the south.

It's really interesting when your in another part of the country and people call thing by different names.

Born and raised in Pittsburgh area. Called it "pop". Went to school in Maryland (Baltimore) and over the last 25 years have relearned to call it "soda" since I used to get those condescending "isn't it quaint" little smiles when I called it "pop".

:)

There's a great map of the US broken down into what each area calls it:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

Does anyone know exactly what Coke products are offered with the Soda Sticker? My 16 y.o. son wants to know specifically if Vault is on the list. We will be on Explorer if that matters.

Thanks!

I'm Canadian, so I call it pop.

However having lived all over the States, I've become bilingual ... so I've used "soda" here in Florida, "coke" in North Carolina, and "sodie" in central Illinois! The most confusing was in North Carolina where I would ask for a coke and they'd say, "what kind of coke do y'all want, sug?".

I was born and raised in Idaho, where it's pop. But during my four years in Virginia I learned to call it soda . . . and oddly enough, now that I'm back in "pop" country, I still call it soda. Go figure. AND, not only that -- while I don't buy the package at all, DH does and he calls it the "coke package." :)

Does anyone know exactly what Coke products are offered with the Soda Sticker? My 16 y.o. son wants to know specifically if Vault is on the list. We will be on Explorer if that matters.

Thanks!

Very unlikely. Usually, they only stock the "standards" of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and like one or two others.

Well, I call the soda package a soda package (because that's what RCI calls it :D), but when I talk about a carbonated non-alcoholic beverages, I ask for a pop (or sometimes a soft drink).

I'm Canadian, so I am most used to the term pop. However, I live in Kentucky and hear soda most often here.

I did like visiting a friend in Texas. We went to a restaurant and he asked for a coke; the waitress asked what kind of coke (I thought she meant diet, etc.) and he asked for a Sprite!!! Very strange (and time-consuming) way of ordering a soft drink.

It's very interesting. One thing could have so many names. I tried to call it soda everytime I was in North Carolina, but I ended up saying, I'll have a pop, I mean soda. It's really wierd. Talk to ya later "yinz".

Thanks!

My recent experience on 7/15/07 sailing of Rhapsody it was ONLY Coke OR Diet Coke...no sprite..no juices...etc.

Be sure to ascertain WHAT is included before you spring for the card!

Others throughout the RCI fleet have had good experience...but I would just say....double check before signing the line.

Have a good one!

I think I call it the soda package here on CC, but I really think of it as soft drinks. Pop is what we called my father after he became a grandfather, soda is an ingredient used when you are baking, or in some alcoholic beverages. Soft drinks is kind of all-encompassing, you just have to know which type of soft drink.

I worked with a woman who called it pop and was always amused by it.

How about "soda-pop" :)

Spent most of my life in the east coast, where "Soda" is the generic phrase for any drink with carbonation. Also lived in Denver many years ago, and "Pop" was king there, and they understood "Soda" to mean plain seltzer water.

For me, 'Soda' works just fine...

Michael

P.S. Anyone else out there familiar with Boylan soda?

See, im near the east coast, i mean pittsburgh, about 5 hrs away, but still. I've never ever heard soda being used instead of pop in pittsburgh. Kinda wierd, you don't realize it until your away from home.

My husband and I both say soda. He's from NY, I'm from the NW, and we live in Seattle. Neither of us know anyone else around here who says soda, and I have been questioned, "Where are you from?" when I've said soda in the past. Don't know where I got it. Perhaps I watched a lot of east coast TV as a child??? :eek:

When at a race track in Kentucky both my husband & I had great difficulty trying to get ourselves a Coke. At home (Perth, Australia) we call it "cool drink or soft drink" which could be any kind of flavoured fizzy drink but even though we asked for a "Coke" it still took about 5 times before we were understood. Maybe our accent made it a bit harder to understand us but we thought it was quite funny! Now I have a list of other names for it for next time we visit!:D

When at a race track in Kentucky both my husband & I had great difficulty trying to get ourselves a Coke. At home (Perth, Australia) we call it "cool drink or soft drink" which could be any kind of flavoured fizzy drink but even though we asked for a "Coke" it still took about 5 times before we were understood. Maybe our accent made it a bit harder to understand us but we thought it was quite funny! Now I have a list of other names for it for next time we visit!:D

Yes, the problem is that in Kentucky, they only speak their own language and have a hard time understanding English. :) (just kidding)

Well, I call the soda package a soda package (because that's what RCI calls it :D), but when I talk about a carbonated non-alcoholic beverages, I ask for a pop (or sometimes a soft drink).

I'm Canadian, so I am most used to the term pop. However, I live in Kentucky and hear soda most often here.

I did like visiting a friend in Texas. We went to a restaurant and he asked for a coke; the waitress asked what kind of coke (I thought she meant diet, etc.) and he asked for a Sprite!!! Very strange (and time-consuming) way of ordering a soft drink.

When you want more than one copy of that paper in your hand, if you are like most people, either you or someone else will "xerox" it.

Same thing. Using the brand name of the thing as the generic word for it.

People of an older generation used a "frigidaire" in the kitchen, regardless of the brand they had. Going to sneeze? Most people would ask for a "kleenex". Yup, another brand name.

It's called metonymy.

See what you can learn on Cruise Critic? ;) :)

The Kentucky folks sure know what "Coke" is, so it must have been your accents. Were you were pronouncing Coke with an "oh?"

Of course, they may have thought you were asking for a drug! :rolleyes:

My mothers family from Peabody Mass, called all soda's "tonic", (taw-nik). Is that a Mass thing or is my family just wierd?

I've never heard anybody call it tonic before. That's unusual.

Archived