Strange question? re: Bali beds....

murphysmum

Hello...

I've been reading about SD and the itineraries interest me very much. However, I've never cruised without a balcony cabin before and I'm a little claustrophobic and I enjoy the sound, smell of the ocean in the cabin.

I love the idea of sleeping out under the stars on the Bali beds, but I'm curious if there is heavy "competition" for use of these beds at night.

Would someone who's sailed on SD before please let me know if these beds are frequently used at night? Does booking a larger cabin entitle one to more frequent use? I don't care about daytime...I'll share! Hah!

Thanks very much for any information you can share. These look like perfect casual cruises with interesting people on board.

murphysmum;)

Hi:

There is some heavy demand for one Bali bed in particular. It is located forward on the upper deck ahead of the golf simulator. It is dark and quiet. The rest are located aft on the upper deck, either side of the stack. At night the stack is lit and blowers operate all the time so it can be a bit noisy and well lit. Also, they are just aft of the Top of the Yacht Bar, the favorite late night social area so dont plan on sleeping early. We tried but much prefer them in the daytime. Others have posted reviews that say they enjoyed their "night out". Hope this helps.

Jim.

PS: Booking a larger cabin only entitles you to more use if you are the owner.

Jim - you are referring to the "orgie" bed! There is enough room for 4 people - not that I have ever tried that!

Murpheysmom - I don't think you are going to mind not having a balcony - the bali beds are a great alternative - and unlike your balcony - you can really lay back and relax- and get service like unlimited drinks and shrimp cocktail. I believe the yacht provides a different feel that a regular cruise ship where you are less likely to want to flee to the solitude of your own balcony.

As far as sleeping - I agree with Jim - they are a bit hard to sleep in just because they aren't really secluded and quiet. But it makes for a great pajama party feel. We had reserved one the night that we cruise past Stromboli volcano- and had a great front row viewing opportunity. That was the night that we did find out how many people you could fit in a regular balinese bed ( 8+people if you squeeze).

Thank you both for the insight on the Bali Beds.

It sounds like they're more popular during the daytime.

I don't mind noise, light or staying up late if I can sleep out. I also love having people around. I don't go to sleep until 1 or 2AM anyway (reading addict) and I can't order drinks at home so jammies and a comforter on deck sound perfect.

I've read through some of the posts and it sounds like a perfect ship. I love being pampered, but I hate formality and it sounds like SD is the best of both worlds.

Now...Surfklutz...a question. :rolleyes: About the "orgie bed". Is this a ship sponsored activity, one you organize on your own, or wishful thinking?

Thanks, guys, for the great information. I've got three late 2008 trips in my sights and will decide and sign up soon. It looks like they fill up fast...

Sail on.....

murphysmum;)

Well, the forward bed was booked every night. Mostly by the kids. One night the cabin next to us had it for themselves and their 2 children. It looked like alot of fun. We were to have 3 beds by the TOY the night we were in Capri, but since we had to miss Capri, due to high swells and a large yacht already parked on the other side of the island, we docked in Naples for the night. We opted out.

During the day, only a handful of folks used them. We are all mostly by the pool or in Port.

Dreaming of Seadream.........

Julie

Hello...

My first post was about availability of the Bali beds on deck and I received great responses.

However (and I must first say I don't dislike children...I just like to cruise is peace) the last post mentioned the beds being occupied by kids and the cabin with two children. I had the idea that this was a ship focused more on adult sailing, with few things for children to do....and, therefore, few or no kids.

From previous postings re: SD I had the feeling that many repeat cruisers had the same feeling. Would someone mind clarifying the adult to child ratio for me?

Thanks very much.

murphysmum;)

Well, let me elaborate a little more. The owner was on board with his wife and their collective children. We had a group from Colorado with their kids/teens. We had an 80th birthday for a gentleman that brought his kids and their kids. But, honestly, this was NOT a problem. Only couple of times that I saw, the kids were crazy. You have to remember this was the summer time. As I posted before, the crew said it was the most kids they had ever had. But, honestly, it was not a problem. The kids are all very well traveled. Some even had Au Pares (sp?) with them.

The owner's kids are very well behaved. One night the 18 year olds did take over the TOY bar. And, there was talk about it the next day, but they are legal to consume alcohol. They did not get out of line. But, their music was a bit much, so James (yacht director) the next few nights set them up in the salon with their IPods and their own bartender. Perfect!

I think you will be fine with what ever cruise you pick at the end of the year.

As small as this ships, somehow, you feel like you have your own space. Luxury at it's finest, but not stuffy as you said. ENJOY, you'll do fine!

Thanks very much for the information. Actually, I don't mind well-behaved children at all. It's the one's who are left unattended in the pool screaming Marco Polo that bother me.

Actually, as we never cruise during the summer or spring breaks, it likely wouldn't even be an issue.

SD looks very appealing to me. From one Californian to another...Thank you!

murphysmum;)

• 5 weeks later...

Sailed on the SeaDream II this past spring. There was only one couple stayed on deck at night. Second night they got rained on. Think the statements are very nice and never felt claustrophobia. If you are in a stateroom with the large windows you can open them and get the sounds you are looking forward. We loved the cruise, and in fact, are booked on the SeaDream I on 10/27 till 11/7 to Rome. The cruise to France was wonderful. The food was wonderful and portions the right size. Had hestiated going on a cruise, because all they did was overload you on food. SeaDream gives you ample, but not over the top.

Hi!

Does anyone know the answer to the question posed by the two posts above? I would sign up for a cruise in a heartbeat if the windows opened. Otherwise, I would need to depend on the weather and sleep outside as my unfortunate claustrophobia just doesn't meld with cabins without outside air.

Right now I've got three cruises scheduled this year, but they all include balconies with sliding doors. I'm curious how many other people choose balconies for this same reason.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.

murphysmum:rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification. I thought, from reading about the cabins on the website that the windows didn't open. The larger cabins on the upper decks look like they open so close to the open deck that I might just go for it!

Thanks, again.

murphysmum

Archived