Is it time to buy RCL stock?

RCL stock took a bath over the past week, like many others as well since the DOW lost quite a few points. If one was interested in getting the shareholders credit, would you buy now? Or do you think it will drop even lower? The price is around 38-39 per share. BTW, you need 100 shares to qualify for the shareholders benefit.

I told myself that I would commit to 100 shares if it hits $38. A smart move? I hope so, because it hit 38 earlier today. The 52 week low is ~32 and the high ~46.

Tom

I dont know if Cruise Critic is the best place to seek stock advice but It does have great perks. I have had it for a few years now and used the obc several times. I got in at $27 so I am not complaining. Let us know what you do.

Harry

I have a upcoming cruise in October and was tinking about buying a 100 shares...What do I have to do to get the 100 obc? Fax them my buy order? I use Ameritrade so I can just fax a copy of the order I suppose with my info and confermation number?

Over a three year period before all stocks dropped like a rock. Taking 2+ cruises per year and getting at least $100 per cruise ($200 on 2) plus the divdend quarterly, still ahead by over $600. Minus the past few days of maybe $300 loss still ahead. I'm hoping the stock market will recover cause the $300 loss on RCL is a drop in the bucket when looking at 401K and other mutual funds, Now that makes you want to stand on a very tall building and wonder how far it had to fall in 1929 before it was work the leap. Got any email today for my $100 OBC Oct and $200 OBC for Feb so I'm feeling better.

RCL stock took a bath over the past week, like many others as well since the DOW lost quite a few points. If one was interested in getting the shareholders credit, would you buy now? Or do you think it will drop even lower? The price is around 38-39 per share. BTW, you need 100 shares to qualify for the shareholders benefit.

I told myself that I would commit to 100 shares if it hits $38. A smart move? I hope so, because it hit 38 earlier today. The 52 week low is ~32 and the high ~46.

Tom

You are asking this question in the wrong forum if you are looking for investment advice. However, if you are only interested in purchasing 100 shares to get the OBC, whether or not the price rises or drops a few points in the near future is pretty much irrelevant. If you will be sailing on an RCI or Celebrity ship in the near future the OBC may be enough incentive to purchase the stock now. Trying to time the market to purchase a stock that is fairly volatile is probably not the best use of your time when you are only talking about a hundred shares or so. Unless you intend to hold the stock only for a short time, the price fluctuations aren't really important. If you purchase and the price continues to drop, you haven't lost anything unless or until you decide to sell, and the same goes if the price rises after you make your purchase. The price was much lower than it is now when we first purchased our shares and it has been up quite a bit since then and has been dropping lately. In the meantime, however, we have received hundreds of dollars in OBCs and approximately $60 a year in quarterly dividends. If you decide to buy the stock do so and don't concern yourself that you bought at its low point or well before it hit that mark. That will only matter when you finally decide to sell.

I fully agree with negc.

The best advice I ever received on investments was to never invest more than you can afford to lose. Personally I use a broker but if you are going to use an online service, do your homework.

Find analysts reports and see what they have to say. I did a quick search and the following is from Zack Equity Research, released July 31st. Keep in mind, they don't always get it right either! ;)

We maintain our Buy rating for Royal Caribbean RCL following the release of second quarter results, primarily due to valuation. The current top-line environment appears to be modestly improving, and we consider RCL to be poised to strongly benefit given an increase in demand. While we expect higher fuel prices in the second half of the year to remain challenging, we believe that core operating growth will remain attractive. With the shares currently trading at 11.4x our 2008 earnings estimate and a 17% discount to its largest rival. Solid occupancy trends, a more stable pricing environment, and higher spending per passenger should allow the company to continue to leverage fixed costs and offset the inflationary pressures from higher fuel, employee-related, and food costs.

No, not double credit unless you had two cabins. The $100 OBC is per cabin.

Im 99% sure its good on Celebrity...I get the other cruise lines mixed up.

Carnival's OBC is also good on Princess and all the cruiselines they own as well.

The OBC is one per cabin. If you and your wife were to book separate cabins (perhaps to share with your best friends), then you could each get an OBC.

The OBC varies depending on length of the cruise.

Yes, the credit for Royal Caribbean stock is good on both Royal Caribbean and on Celebrity.

Far as OBC for other than US citizens/residents--seems I recall some postings which said these were not available. I'd suggest contacting the company before buying stock (if that is a major reason for purchase).

since RCCL owns them. We bought the stock at $45, and have paid for half of the purchase already with the $600 OBC we get on every 2 week cruise with VISA, Stockholder & Onboard Purchase total.

So when it drops, means nothing to us as long as stockholders all agree as I do the OBC is the best perk, the dividends are taxable & $15 a quarter is far from redeeming.

Only one credit per stateroom, so if a husband & a wife is stockholders, not a joint account as we are, you still get the single OBC.

OBC per cruise, per stateroom:

under 5 nights = $50

6-8 nights = $100

9-13 nights = $ 200

14+ nights = $ 250

If we were to buy 100 shares on Monday, does anyone know whether we will be able to get OBC on our cruise in 4 weeks time. I am thinking we won't be able to but worth asking. Have been thinking about purchasing some for a while but had been hoping that they would drop a bit.

If we were to buy 100 shares on Monday, does anyone know whether we will be able to get OBC on our cruise in 4 weeks time. I am thinking we won't be able to but worth asking. Have been thinking about purchasing some for a while but had been hoping that they would drop a bit.

Yep, most folks hear back in a day, or one business day, give them two business days.

Do it on email, its faster.

Archived