Wearing the same outfit to both formal nights

Happyladi

I have nothing to wear to formal night and am planning on going shopping to pick something out. I was thinking of a dressy pants outfit as I don't care for dresses that much.

I really don't want to get two outfits, do some women just wear the same outfit both nights?

My husband is planning on wearing a dark suit.

I have nothing to wear to formal night and am planning on going shopping to pick something out. I was thinking of a dressy pants outfit as I don't care for dresses that much.

I really don't want to get two outfits, do some women just wear the same outfit both nights?

Yes,

That's fine, don't worry about it, just go and have a wonderful time.:)

A lot of women take black pants & either dress them up with a fancy top for formal night & wear the same pants with a sweater/top for casual nights. Whatever you are comfortable with will work just fine:) ! some are not happy unless they are in gowns, but you will see everything, makes it fun!

Jan

Our cruise through the Panama Canal had 3 formal nights and even though I had 3 different outfits, I wore the same thing twice. It was more comfortable and who cares really except for you :)

For my cruise in October, I am think of wearing the same thing twice also. Since JetBlue now allows only 2 suitcases instead of 3 and the weight limit is 50 pounds instead of 75...it makes a huge difference in what I will pack. Yes, I overpack but it is a family illness :eek:

Cheers, Denise

We are doing the 15 night Panama Canal cruise in September and for the first time I am planning on wearing a formal outfit twice for the same reason as dchip stated. I have two black very dressy pantsuits, one that has black velvet pants and my plan is to wear the velvet pants twice with two different tops. I found a black beaded sweater that I am planning on wearing one night and the last night I will wear the jacket that goes with velvet pants. I have several formal outfits but this way I am only packing one pair of dressy black sandles as well as only one beaded dinner bag. Really, who's looking anyway. I will have three different "outfits" but packing less. I tend to be an overpacker so this is a first for me. I also like to pack what I am comfortable in. You will see a lot of black dressy pants with all kinds of tops. On our first cruise 15 years ago I brought two dressy skirts and tops. Not formal but dressy enought to get away as I was not sure if we would even like cruising. Needless to say after 15 years we still love cruising.

I'm a clothes horse, but I honestly think somebody could wear the same thing every night, and I'd never notice. I have at least 10 different pair of black dress pants and 10 different black dress skirts. Do I think anyone would notice the difference? I doubt it, so don't ask me why I pack so much stuff....

As travel becomes more restrictive, I know I'm going to have to start rethinking how I dress on vacation. I don't usually do too much mix and match, but I am really trying to consider that for the next cruise.

I have worn the same formal outfit for 3 formal evenings on a 10 night cruise, and then again on the following cruise (B2B). That's just another reason why we love Anytime Dining..if anyone notices, they have an abnormal fixation with what people wear. And I needed the space for scuba gear.

My husband and I used to bring Tux's and all sorts of fromal wear. It started as fun and then we grew tired of it. Wear the same thing for all the fromal nights and have a great time. No one (who really counts) will notice!!

Will 30 plus cruises I have lots of fancy tops to mix and match with dressy slacks. But as I get older and luggage allowances have become more limited even for international flights I am cutting way back. Plan to take only 3 dressy outfits, 4 smart casual night and 4 daytime outfits for a 12 day Holy Land Cruise. So I will be wearing things more than twice:) for sure. No one notices or cares, as long as one dresses appropriately.

My formal dress has a beaded top and a long sleeved jacket in the same fabric and beading. I plan on wearing the jacket one night and I have a shawl in sparkly chiffon fabric, just sightly different shade, for the other night.

Will 30 plus cruises I have lots of fancy tops to mix and match with dressy slacks. But as I get older and luggage allowances have become more limited even for international flights I am cutting way back. Plan to take only 3 dressy outfits, 4 smart casual night and 4 daytime outfits for a 12 day Holy Land Cruise. So I will be wearing things more than twice:) for sure. No one notices or cares, as long as one dresses appropriately.

I agree that no one will notice, and every one is in the same Boat (no pun intended) when it comes to luggage allowance. They will just think you are a very clever packer!:)

I think this is the key. So many women think they cannot fashionable unless they bring an entire wardrobe along.

We have a 13 night cruise planned for 08 (and yes, it is hard waiting!) my plans are to wear one formal outfit once with a different one in the middle. I prefer to pack knits, they wrinkle less and take up almost no space, plus they are very comfortable.

For a 7 night cruise, I wear the same outfit the first and last night. A black skirt for both formal nights w/two different tops. Casual nights I wear travel knits, usually Chicos...black pants and assorted tops. I'll throw in one sundress or other color pants. The great thing about this way of packing is being able to take far fewer pair of shoes along.

Daytime, same thing, same outfit to embark/disembark, maybe 3 pair of shorts and a few T's, plus an outfit to walk laps in at night.

We also send a few things out for laundry/dry cleaning if needed.

To the people who made comments about a woman wearing the same clothes each night, I've mentioned here and on other threads that I have seen it. However, the outfit was so eye catching you could not help but notice it. I think if she would have worn a basic color and changed accessories, I certainly would not have noticed at all.

I wouldn't be happy wearing the same exact outfit twice. I take one long black skirt with two tops - one sparkly, one silky. For casual I also take solid slacks or skirts with different tops. I don't mind repeating one part of the outfit, but not the whole thing.

Right now I'm on a work trip. I'm attending a 3 day conference that starts tomorrow, have Sunday off and then another 3 day meeting. There is some overlap of participants at both meetings. I know very few at the first one and many at the second one. They're both large meetings, couple of hundred people at the first and 600 at the second. Of course, I had to bring 6 different outfits! I am wearing one pair of black slacks twice with different shirts, that's my only concession to smart packing :D . I'm also wearing another pair of slacks twice (today and on the flight back) with different shirts, and I have another outfit for Sunday. But hey, I'm very proud of myself, because I didn't bring any extra clothes "just in case" LOL

I used to take more than one formal outfit but have cut back to one. No one really notices or cares. You are only in it for a few hours anyway.

I second this notion. The only passengers I have ever really noticed are the ones severely undressed. Otherwise, nobody will even realize it is the same outfit. Besides, if you feel uncomfortable wearing it twice, you can always go to an alternate restaurant on the other formal night.

Why not just bring lots of accessories to change up the look...necklaces, shawls, belts, scarves. It will save space...and weight...in your suitcase and give you a fresh look even though you'll be wearing basically the same outfit. Basic black is very easy to change up. Have fun with it.:)

I also use to bring two formals and have cut back to one. I am so comfortable in the dress and it is light to pack. Doesn't bother me at all to wear the same dress twice.

Kathy:)

• 3 weeks later...

How about a gown...is it okay to wear the same gown to both formal nights? I know it's a great idea to have one pair of dressy pants or a dressy skirt and several tops, but I am thinking of taking one gown for two formal nights. It is solid black, long sleeved, velvet. It's a Canada/New England cruise. I don't think that changing the jewelry will make much difference. Right now, I have some palazzo pants and a beaded top for the second formal night, but I am thinking of taking them out and only taking the one gown. I really am trying to cut back on what I take, but I don't want my tablemates to think I'm tacky. :p :D

This is the first cruise I am doing repeat outfits on. I'm tired of packing so much. :)

I used to take more than one formal outfit but have cut back to one. No one really notices or cares. You are only in it for a few hours anyway.

I wore the same gown with different hairstyles for each of the two formal nights. I felt beautiful, and didn't care what others thought. :p Pictures of the gown can be seen on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11304203&posted=1#post11304203 (post #202).

musicgirl,

Love the dress! You looked fabulous!!

I think I will go with just the one gown. I can't change my hairstyle really. My hair is pretty short. Not much else I can do with it, but surely I can come up with something to change the look slightly. Maybe I can change it some with jewelry. Thanks!

musicgirl,

Love the dress! You looked fabulous!!

I think I will go with just the one gown. I can't change my hairstyle really. My hair is pretty short. Not much else I can do with it, but surely I can come up with something to change the look slightly. Maybe I can change it some with jewelry. Thanks!

Thanks, Mary! I hope you have a wonderful cruise ...

Archived