Face cloths on Rotterdam?

Maclean girl

Someone told me that there will be no face cloths available on the Rotterdam. Is this true and if so, do you all just bring a face cloth from home to use in the shower?

I've been on the Amsterdam, Zaandam, and Noordam, and to the best of my recollection we've always had face cloths to go with our bathroom towels.

Karin

There are plenty of plain white facecloths on the Rotterdam. You may find them rough, but they are standard issue. They suited us fine.

Perhaps, a poster stated that there were no facecloths because he or she forgot to place them on the floor or in the bath so the steward did not renew them. Whenever one wants his or her facecloths or towels changed one must let the room steward know by obviously discarding them.

Someone told me that there will be no face cloths available on the Rotterdam. Is this true and if so, do you all just bring a face cloth from home to use in the shower?

I can't imagine any cruiseline not having face cloths, but HAL definitely has them.

On my April S. Carib. cruise, they even had staff at the gangway that were handing out cold, damp face cloths to everyone as they returned to the ship. I would have gladly paid for them, but they were compliments of the house.:D

When I read the title, I immediately wondered if "someone" meant the refreshing facecloths being distributed at the gangway as we reboarded the ship. I've only been on one HAL cruise (hopefully there will be more), and it was in the Caribbean, so is this service only available in warm weather ports?

Maclean Girl - finally, someone who cares as much about facecloths as I do! DH thinks I'm obsessed, but then he's never been on vacation when none were available (the horror! ;) ). There were plenty of facecloths available on Westerdam and Maasdam, and I borrowed a few from the restrooms outside the dining room in case there was an unexpected shortage. Yes, there's a spare stash in there! I also bring a travel facecloth on every trip, bright blue so it's easily distinguishable as I've had a few white ones that were taken away by mistake...

Thanks for the reassurance about the wash cloths. I would have been surprised to be told that there were none but you never know, I guess. that is one less thing I have to pack, thankfully!!

Thanks again...only 2 1/2 weeks to go before we leave Canada! Yahoo

Although they are universally provided at hotels in North America, the same is not true in many other places. Since most cruise ships are foreign flagged this seems like a reasonable question.

Those of us who have learned the hard way about a lack of wash cloths outside North America make accommodations when packing for overseas travel. While traveling abroad I found that they are typically neither provided nor available on request at hotels in Germany, England and Japan. It was a pleasant surprise to find that my hotel in southern China a couple weeks ago provided wash cloths for its guests.

A typical wash cloth fits nicely in a 1 liter zip lock bag which facilitates bringing it home without waiting for it to dry. This won't take up much room. Keeping one more or less permanently in your suitcase insures that a wash cloth will be available wherever you happen to travel.

As for HAL, we did have wash cloths on the three Vista class ships that my wife and I sailed on. The same would presumably apply to the rest of the HAL fleet.

Bill

I thought this was an excellent question because I wondered myself. I couldn't remember if washclothes were available on my HAL cruise two years ago. Very few European hotels provide washclothes so I take disposable handiwipes to use, then throw them away. I read this hint on slowtrav.com and it was a great tip.

Pink

I do know that some of the all-inclusives in Dominican Republic don't provide face cloths. Friends of ours went for 2 weeks a few years ago and she had to repeatedly ask for a face cloth, and even then they weren't replaced regularly once she did get one.

I sometimes wish HAL didn't have white face cloths; I use a cream face wash and there's always make-up residue on the face cloths that I just can't wash off no matter how hard I rub. The odd time my lipstick or mascara remover hasn't taken all of it off and it ends up on those pristine white cloths and look awful. I'm always apologizing to our cabin steward about it. Just my little quirk, I know.:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I sometimes wish HAL didn't have white face cloths ... I'm always apologizing to our cabin steward about it.
Well, you could bring some of your own for that ... maybe even cheap ones that could just throw away.

Well, you could bring some of your own for that ... maybe even cheap ones that could just throw away.

I did just that on our last cruise ... you can get inexpensive face cloths at the dollar store (3/$1), so I brought a supply of my own and tossed them. The first time I did so, our cabin steward came to me later in the day and asked if I had intended on throwing away my "personal facecloth". I explained to him what I was doing and why, then he understood.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived