Cases of Wine/ Wearing Jeans........

sail7seas

In June, when DH and I were ready to go to Maasdam, I posted I was bringing a pair of jeans. That caused pigs to fly, H*LL to freeze and KK's computer to crash .

How about this time I propose DH and I will lug a case of our favorite $8/bottle wine with us? Afterall, we aren't flying so we can easily fling it in the car with us. :)

How shocked will everyone be if I have evolved so much that I'll now sip wine from cases we've dragged with us while wearing those same jeans. I mean, after all, we keep getting told how much everything must change.

Is that substantial change? :D Does that show progress......and the total decline of the HAL experience?

If one is told something often enough, does it finally become acceptible?

Sail,

Please don't tell me that I'll have to send my 3000th post to a "different" Sail. I applaud your flexibility.

Please forgive me for missing your birthday, my side effects have almost wiped out my hands this week and I have really cut back on the board.

I hope you had a great day.

GN

Now........Juuuust a minute. :D Let's not get carried away here!!!

Belly button piercing. Ouch!!! Not on This Belly!! :)

Flip flops, door decorating and AYW......You're a tough bunch to please! See.....give 'em an inch and they want a mile. ;)

I don't have the photos, Cruising Along. Grumpie and Slinkie took the pics but we haven't heard from them since they came home. I don't think they've been on the board....... It's okay with me if that photo NEVER appears. :)

I say go for it Sail;) If we lived as close as you do to the pier I too would consider bringing on a case of Champage because I would most likely share it with some crew members. We have found a very inexpensive Pinot Grigio at Trader Joe's we really like. On the past three cruises I have brought a seperate suit case with bottles of wine so if I lived closed for sure I would bring a case. But I will say this next time we are flying light, we are only drinking what they have on board the Noordam:)

Don't forget to check out the topless deck, Sail. ;)

You can bring a couple of bottles up there and have a great time.

Of course, I'm not knocking until I'VE tried it, and I just might one of these days...

Katie has a pair of flip-flops decorated in HAL colors (which are actually our school colors too) I'd be happy to send you a pair - strips of cloth tied on in alternating colors - they are quite the fashion statement. :)

Maybe it IS time to cut loose a bit....

Sail- I think that flexibility is the key to a happy life, and you sure appear to be having it!! Funny how after all these years and illnesses, the lines we draw seem to blur a bit. :D

As for EKerr's idea- I am not sure I'd have the guts to go up top topless..... but when topless, my chest would be around my knees, which isn't a pretty sight!!:eek: :D

Go for it!

While I haven't taken a case of wine on board, on our last Alaska cruise from our home port of Seattle, I did take a 3-liter box of wine along. I know the wine connoisseurs are shuttering with that. On our next cruise I'll probably thow in several bottles of two-buck Chuck, which is $3 in Washington.

And in northern climes, what's a cruise without jeans?

Sail, I think that you should go for it! As others have said, if I lived closer to an embarkation port, I may consider the idea as well.

I meant to ask you about the jeans:) Did you see a lot of jeans on your Maasdam cruise? Do the ladies and gents mostly follow the dress code on formal nights? Our last HAL cruise to Alaska, one the first formal night, there was only one other older lady and myself that dressed in a long gown. I will never forget that lady because she came up to our family and had a lengthy conversation about how nice we looked and how much she hates seeing the formal dress nights change. They were such a nice couple and were so nice to our son Tommy. I will admit, I love love love dressing up so it is not a big deal to me, but to be honest, if most of the ladies on the ship are wearing shorter cocktail dresses and or pantsuits, I guess I would feel more comfortable.

Thanks!

Linda

You're great....... still possible to have a few laughs!!!

I wish we could get two buck chuck in MA but our Trader Joe's can't sell it. Our old laws only provide for package stores to sell liquor and wine. There are a few markets in a few cities that sell it in grocery stores but very few. The two Trader Joe's near me can't stock it.

I was only kidding about actually bringing cases but now that I think about it.....why not a bottle or two, at least???! :)

Lisa..... Why not??!! I can think of a few folks who would be more than mildly surprised to see us lugging cases of vino!!! Could be VERY funny.

Laura......Topless Deck. MOI!!! The sun has to be getting to you. I've heard the heat is extreme in the west. :D

GN.... PLEASE don't even think for a minute about 'missing my birthday'. Just feel better. I feel so badly how you have had such a bad reaction to the meds. Hope you feel better VERY soon.

Thank you, Happy cruzer. ;)

Hammybee.........Blender!!! Nah..... I don't drink the sugary drinks. IF I did, I just might be at Costco looking for a shiny, stainless, top of the line model. I stick with my vino. :)

Thanks for having a little fun with me. :D

Hi Linda.....

I saw a fair amount of jeans during the day but for the most part, clean and neat without holes.

I don't think I saw any in the evening. I can't say for sure that no one came to the dining room (couldn't see the lower level) wearing them, but it was very few people,if that.

And yes.....the overwhelming percentage of guests were dressed approrpriate, per HAL's definition, for formal night. A sport jacket and tie is not formal but HAL defines that as acceptible (and I've come to think it is fine) and almost everyone cooperated.....

And the atmosphere and ambiance benefited because of that. IMO ;)

Are you telling me that jeans are frowned upon on an Alaskan cruise? Am I supposed to bring my daisy dukes for the glacier viewing or my power suit(both of which I have none). I just bought another pair of jeans for the trip! Definately formal nights are dress up but are people actually supposed to wear Ann Taylor dress pants for the whales and the zipline crews?:eek:

Also.........

Laura. Think back. You might remember. HAL used to sell thongs (flip-flops) in the shops. They were blue on the footpad, with red/white for the strap that goes between the toes. On the bottom of the sole, was a shallow cut out that said HollandAmericaLine.

DH bought about 5 pair and still has a few. I don't bring them on cruises because I'm afraid if he wears them to the pool, someone could 'help themselves to them'. They are really cool!!!

What was so neat about them.....

First time he wore them at HMC, we looked at his footsteps in the pristine sand in the pathways. The paths had just been freshly groomed and each footstep he took imprinted HollandAmericaLine in the sand. We kept thinking what a photo that would have made for the photographers. (Never there when you want them but a pain in the neck when you want to get off the ship and they block the gangway.)

Are you telling me that jeans are frowned upon on an Alaskan cruise? Am I supposed to bring my daisy dukes for the glacier viewing or my power suit(both of which I have none). I just bought another pair of jeans for the trip! Definately formal nights are dress up but are people actually supposed to wear Ann Taylor dress pants for the whales and the zipline crews?:eek:

Jeans are fine during the day on any cruise. New dress code does not eliminate them from dress in the evening. Most of us don't think they belong in the dining room at night but that is a whole different conversation.

Bring your jeans whales and glaciers.

Have a great cruise.

Sorry if I misled you.....:o I was kind of teasing Sail about the jeans that she was going to wear on her NE cruise. You can most definately wear your jeans in Alaska!

The question that I asked about formal night was in referance to whether the ladies wore long dresses or short cocktail dresses and pantsuits more on the NE cruise that Sail was on in June. There was only one other lady and I with long formals on when we were on our Alaska cruise last summer. We are going on the NE cruise in a couple of weeks and I thought if most of the ladies did not wear long gowns I would not pack mine this time and stick to the shorter cocktail dresses.

Sorry if I confused you. I hope that you have a great time on your Alaskan cruise!!

Linda

There were a number of long dresses, Linda. In the two weeks we were aboard, I saw at least 40% of the women in true formal long dresses and they were lovely. Out of the four formal nights, I wore long dresses twice and twice I wore black crepe evening pants and dressy top. Either fit in perfectly with the majority of the 'crowd'.

For our upcoming cruises, I think I'll bring 4 dresses. Just in the mood to this time. We're celebrating our wedding anniversary aboard and we've both just had birthdays so.......I guess I'm in more of a 'festive, party clothes' mood. :)

Please.....any questions you think of before we go or after, ask away. I'm happy to try to help.--

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Localady..... You are so right. Flexibility. The longer I live the more I see the benefit. Makes everyone happier..... especially those around us. ;) !!

Sail,

I don't think there is anythiong wrong with binging a few bottles of a favorite wine aboard. There are quite a few inexpensive wines out there that are very enjoyable. I grew up with those big gallon jugs of "Guniea Red" that I still enjoy with pasta.

I think our next poll should be:

"How many bottles of Two Buck Chuck would Sail need to get her on the topless deck?" :)

"Now running out of the room and hiding behind a tree before Sail sees this* *LOL*

Sail,

I think our next poll should be:

"How many bottles of Two Buck Chuck would Sail need to get her on the topless deck?" :)

"Now running out of the room and hiding behind a tree before Sail sees this* *LOL*

:D :D OMG:eek:

Archived