Cruise to Italy in November

My husband and I are trying to plan our 10th wedding anniversary for Nov. 2008!! However, I have read that November is not a good month to travel in Italy- lots of rain. Has anyone traveled during this period or do you recommend traveling during either Sept. or Oct?

Thanks for your help :)

Jenn

We were in Italy last November....early in the month. Some rain on our day in the Amalfi coast but it was not a bad time to visit. We were in Venice on Halloween and walked around all night with light jackets. November does have more rain but you can easily have rain in September/October as well.

Marty

We did an eastern Med. cruise last November (roundtrip from Rome), and then spent a few days in Rome over Thanksgiving. Throughout the trip we had excellent weather, including Rome. The only rain we ran into was a drizzly morning when we disembarked, but by the time we got to our hotel in Rome it had cleared. The temps ranged from around 60 (Istanbul) to around 80 (Mykonos, Cairo).

The huge bonus to travelling in November is the much smaller crowds. The second (to me, anyway) is the milder weather. I'd rather chance a rain shower than try to see the sights in 100+ degree weather.

You never know about weather as it will vary from year to year. I would try to go early in November if you can and the other good thing is that you will have less tourists during November compared to other months such as the summer.

Keith

...and we decided to go in October. I was less concerned about the weather, and more so with the fact that many of the ports/exhibits I was planning to visit seemed to "close up shop" for the "winter months"...which begins in November! I think I actually read an article about this (I think it was on Frommers website) which made me think October would be better.

But seeing as how I haven't gone yet, and others here on this board have, you might want to see what their impressions were about that!

My husband and I are trying to plan our 10th wedding anniversary for Nov. 2008!! However, I have read that November is not a good month to travel in Italy- lots of rain. Has anyone traveled during this period or do you recommend traveling during either Sept. or Oct?

Thanks for your help :)

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

Although we are all aware of how unpredictable the weather has become, a good way to get an idea of what to expect on a trip is on the website

weather underground: www.wunderground.com

Type in your destination and the dates for your visit in the "History" section. You can go back several years and see what the weather was(not a forecast), temperatures, rainfall, etc. hourly all day.

Enjoy Venice, its wonderful!

Hi - We spent 4 weeks in Italy and the Med last November and had a total of 2 hours of rain the entire trip. It was incredible. No line-ups, no crowds anywhere. Everything was open. We ate outside in the Piazzas every day. The locals kept telling us how smart we were to visit in November. Many things were cheaper. Fewer ships in the ports. We walked off the tender and directly onto the funiculaire in Santorini without waiting. We wore a long sleeve t-shirt or light jacket every day.

Go for it. Hope you have a great time.

Archived