question abt sharing transfers or tours post-cruise

poss

We're on the Dover-Nice cruise, September 12-22. We'll be staying 3 days post cruise in Nice (Hotel La Perouse) and are wondering how to set up transportation from ship to hotel. Actually, what we'd like to do is arrange some sort of tour of St Paul de Vence and Eze for half a day; i.e. be picked up at port, driven up to SP and Eze, and then delivered to the hotel comfortably in time for check-in. I had thought that there'd be possibilities to do that through Regent, but they seemed unsure about such things: said I could learn more about that kind of thing once on board. But I'd much prefer to have something planned in advance.

In short, if someone can give me advice on how this kind of thing works, I'll be much obliged.

Thanks (again)!

Poss,

We are staying at the same hotel in November on our own before the Grand Crossing in November. We arranged airport and ship transoportation through them to pick us up at the airport and then after our precruise they will take us to the ship in Monte Carlo for 14 euros pp each way. That is a bargain next to what it cost us from the Hotel Hermitage last year to the ship - which was around the corner! The reverse of the cruise you are on was one of our favorite cruises.

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for replying. In fact, you were one of the people whose enthusiasm about that cruise prompted me to sign on. I'm much looking forward to it. Unlike yourself, we'll be cruising at most every couple of years (and at our age especially, any cruise could be our last), so it's impt to choose the "right" ship and itinerary. I think we'll be pleased. I think we'll be pleased, too, with La Perouse. They've certainly been most helpful and cordial in my correspondence with them. Our package does include a transfer from hotel to airport, but I suspect we'll probably just get a cab from port to hotel if we don't manage to arrange some sort of tour for that day. How do we arrange for a transfer, by the way, without knowing exactly what time we'll be disembarking?

Thanks again for your help here and on other posts.

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for replying. In fact, you were one of the people whose enthusiasm about that cruise prompted me to sign on. I'm much looking forward to it. Unlike yourself, we'll be cruising at most every couple of years (and at our age especially, any cruise could be our last), so it's impt to choose the "right" ship and itinerary. I think we'll be pleased. I think we'll be pleased, too, with La Perouse. They've certainly been most helpful and cordial in my correspondence with them. Our package does include a transfer from hotel to airport, but I suspect we'll probably just get a cab from port to hotel if we don't manage to arrange some sort of tour for that day. How do we arrange for a transfer, by the way, without knowing exactly what time we'll be disembarking?

Thanks again for your help here and on other posts.

The latest we've disembarked has been 10am except in Fort Lauderdale and then it was close to that time. You would have no problem waiting to be last off the ship. I think you could email the hotel and request a 10am pickup. They will expect you. Take the telephone number with you and call if you are delayed. Yes, the hotel has bee nvery responsive by email.

Poss, I am glad that I have helped you - it's my pleasure. I hope your cruise is extra special.

Thanks for those posts. Sounds pretty expensive to get to port that way (but I truly do not know whereof I speak). Perhaps simply getting a taxi would serve just as well and less expensively? Oops-- I just remembered that you'll be departing from Monte Carlo, surely a good deal more expensive than from port in Nice to hotel in Nice. (Our cruise was supposed to disembark in Monte Carlo-- I'm happier that they had to change to Nice.)

By the way, did you reserve your accommodation directly with the hotel, or did you find a way to obtain better rates? (I suspect I'd be guessing correctly that you booked a higher category room than we did. I hope we won't be disappointed in the size, but we'll be ok just as long as the room is clean and quiet. I'm a bit concerned about possible airplane noise, but I suspect that'd be the case anywhere in that city.)

Do you have your restaurants already chosen for the period you'll be in Nice?

We got quotes from the port in Dover into London. Guess what? $360 is the cheapest we can find. We be arriving on 9/12/07 and we are interested in sharing transportation with others. Also, from our London hotel to Gatwick, it will cost $215. I can't believe how overpriced England is. We are doing a pre-cruise in Berlin and Regent is sending someone to pick us up. If we weren't this close to going, we would reconsider the Berlin add-on very, very expensive!

WOW! $360 to Dover is VERY expensive! It costs more from a London hotel than from Gatwick, but that is ridiculous. I know it didn't cost us nearly that much last year. I'd keep checking if I were you.

JoAnne B

Archived