Girl From FLA - Clothing in Alaska?

taszmom

OK - I'm a gal from FLA and live in sandals in tank tops. What do I need to pack for a trip to Fairbanks and Denali. I've got some sweaters and I know you are supposed to do layers, but my problems is shoes!!! What the heck does a girl who lives in sandals year-round wear in Alaska! on her feet????

We live in the California desert and when we go to Alaska we layer. Take a pair of jeans or long pants and good walking shoes, yes they are an investment but your feet will thank you. Warm soxs, long sleeve T- shirts, gloves, a vest or jacket, umbrella. Don't over do it , just come prepared. There are many places in ports that you can buy warm clothes if you need them. At some point you will start shedding clothes. It's not that cold, but when you come from a warm area it just may appear to be colder.:)

Another in the same "Alaskan" boat as you are...........LOL. I'm taking a good pair of sneakers (waterproof) and I'm also taking my flip-flops to wear on the ship (you can take the girl outta of Fl but you can't take the Fl outta of the girl)

Two pair of New Balance Sneekers works for me. One to wear and one spare pair in case the first pair gets wet.....

I haven't used the hikers yet in two trips. At home it is sandals and flips for me too!

Another in the same "Alaskan" boat as you are...........LOL. I'm taking a good pair of sneakers (waterproof) and I'm also taking my flip-flops to wear on the ship (you can take the girl outta of Fl but you can't take the Fl outta of the girl)

I'll join the Alskan Boat with you... Another Floridian who lives 3 hours south of the mouse! We're down in Broward and right now it feels like 105 outside! I can't wait to be chilly! Bring it on!

I got some blue sneakers at Chadwicks to go with all my jeans that I never get to wear here in Hot Sunny Fla. I've also got a great pair of black waterproof shoes that I rarely wear 'cause they are for work and I don't get to do that part of my job description often. They have great traction for slippery spaces, so they should work. I got a bunch of new sweaters, long sleeve shirts, and t-shirts, that I'm gonna layer and wear with the jeans.

Leaving for Seattle 4 weeks from right now!!!

Aloha:

I'm in the same prediciment, we'll be going in Sept. to Alaska (from Hawaii) ...... we ordered online, waterproof jackets from Columbia Sportswear and cotton hooded sweatshirts. The longest pair of pants I own comes to my knees:D ....... Aloha mauitraveler

This Florida girl just got back from Alaska yesterday! I had more shoes along than I needed, but here's what I wore: One pair of dressy sandals for dinner on the cruise, one pair of good hiking sandals for on the boat and for warm days walking around in the ports, and one pair of waterproof mocs from Lands End for excursions and glacier days on the boat. I added a pair of the slide-in gel liners purchased at my local grocery store to the mocs for warmth and comfort. They were perfect and even walking through muddy, swampy areas my feet never got wet or cold. They call them moccasins but they are more like short slip-on boots. You can order them through Lands End (just $29.50 !!!) or buy them at Sears. More colors available through the catalog though at http://www.landsend.com. My bright red ones elicited some fun comments and were generally coveted by all who saw them. I can't recommend them enough. For someone who lives in comfy sandals or flats - or most often no shoes at all - these mocs were awesome. Now back in Florida, they'll be good for walking the dogs on rainy days too.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/AllWeatherMocs-74285_130683_-1.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_74285

I had a gazillion layers but at the end of the trip my only regret was that I didn't bring the LandsEnd parka I use to visit NY every winter. I was COLD on the ship when we sailed through the glaciers and fjords. (last week of July)

My sneakers and boat shoes (with socks) were fine for day-to-day wear and I wore sandals at dinner.

I also have a pair of Land's End mocs that I took to Alaska along w/sneakers. I sprayed Scotchguard on the mocs. I did take a few pair of flip flops to wear on the ship.

The one thing I am so glad I took was my winter coat! It is fleece on the inside and nylon on the outside, so it is a FL winter coat. I did layer, but needed the coat since Alaska's May weather was about the same as our coldest days of the year!

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you need gloves?

Also, is it slippery or too cold to wear flipflop on the deck?

YES, bring gloves and a hat and scarf.

as for flip flops, you're going to pack them anyway for the pool/spa so you'll have 'em if you need 'em.

I also agree with Lands End. I actually was able to pick up some great walking shoes on clearence in April at Sears, I think I paid about $12.00 for mine. I added a spray of waterproofing. They were fine. We hiked a bit in Denali and a few other places. I brought both my sneakers and those Lands End shoes with me. I wore the sneakers most of the time.

We dressed in layers, mostly wore sweat pants with long sleeve shirts and a light jacket (windbreaker). Gloves and ear muffs came in handy too! This was in early June.

The only place we had to wear our heavy coats was in Seward, where it had snowed a few days earlier at the end of May. It still wasn't all that bad.

Boca

We were on the same cruise w. you but I don't think we crossed paths. It was hard to id other Cruise Critics on this cruise. Wasn't it a fabulous cruise?

To get back to the topic. We only needed regular sneakers and tennis socks. Wore sandals(and tank tops, and shorts/crops) in Fairbanks- temps were in the 80's in July. Through the glaciers, wore a light weight winter parka, gloves, headband. Got tons of use from a polar-fleece jacket and goretex rainjacket.Didn't catch when you are sailing, sorry

Archived