Video Cameras In Shows?

Leo Jay

I know people do it, but does Carnival actually permit passengers to record the shows?

I don't remember ever hearing an announcement at the start of the shows...

From what I remember, I think the Cruise Director said no video filming,

and no flash photography.

I don't do video, but did rise to the challenge of no flash photography

and managed to get some nice pics of the girls and the sets...

no..that should be the sets and the girls.

See my Palladium cruise-pics at

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/aplmac/Palladium%20theatre/

to see what can be done with just a Canon point-and-shoot!

- without a flash!!

From what I remember, I think the Cruise Director said no video filming,

and no flash photography.

[/i]

That makes sense, because I did take a couple of non-flash shots last year, and it would have been uncharacteristic of me to disregard the announcement... Although I guess it's always possible that I just had a rebellious moment so I could capture those leggy legs on disk.

:D

Thanks.

I find that when photographing shows, I get better photos without the use of a flash. Of course, the exposure time is longer, but I get more vivid colors and a sense of movement. I can't get any good results with a flash unless I am within 15 ft of the subject.

The Hypnotist doesnt mind video filiming, but he doesnt want is flash photography because it can interfere with the 16 bodies up on stage.

If you have a camera that shoots at very low light, like a Digital SLR, They don't mind you taking snaps from way in the back of the theater, as long as the flash does not go off.

Fred

Please note - the reason they do not allow flash photography is for the safety of the performers (coming from a past performer and dancer). Have you ever been in complete darkness and suddenly blinded by a flash of bright light? Now, couple that with dancing or performing on a moving ship. As you might imagine, that is a recipe for disaster/injury.

Just something to keep in mind next time you use that flash when they ask you not to :)

the performer show are NOT telly-ed??..Actors equity (union), SAG, or Entertainers union. They get paid, as does any Hooolywood type, to perform..so it is req'd not to. Talent show pax, game sgows..ok..not paid/contracted persons..also safety issues of lighting vs flashes//w/or w/o smoothe seas.

On my last CCL vacation this past May, the cruise director advised that no videotaping was allowed "due to international copyright laws" (not completely true, but the full reason is much harder to explain to passengers), then added that flash photography wasn't allowed for the safety of the performers (absolutely true!), and then went a step more and said to not take ANY still photography, even without flash, because the infrared focusing could also temporarily blind the performers. The odds of that happening are quite rare, but I followed directions and didn't take any shots that night with the auto-focus camera. I brought a SLR and used manual focus for another night's show, and one of the social hosts had a problem with that. So I ended up with few few picture of any of the entertainment that week.:(

p.s. Still photography is always a performance group's worst enemy, as it immediately isolates a given moment when unison moves might not be very unison. That's more than often the case with CCL stage productions. They are glitzy, and they are fun to watch, but when you get down to the meat of the show, it's not really "Broadway" or "Vegas Style" as often touted in the marketing.

I know people do it, but does Carnival actually permit passengers to record the shows? I don't remember ever hearing an announcement at the start of the shows...

Hi Everybody,

During the Welcome Aboard, The two main production shows on the formal nights, and the Carnival Legends Show, we ask that there be no Video photography during the show, you can take all the pictures you would like however we ask that you turn off the flash on your camera for the safety of the performers.

The other shows depends on the flyon's requests. If they request no photography of any kind then an announcement will be made prior to the show and a note will be put in the capers as well.

Enjoy the shows!!

Archived