Balcony vs Mini-suite in January

LoriPhil

We are hoping to book the Diamond from Sydney to Aukland in late January 2010 and are debating between a partially covered/larger Caribe balcony room vs a mini-suite which is a larger room but uncovered/smaller balcony. The deciding point for us is how much time we might expect to spend on the balcony if we take a late January cruise. Is the weather fairly calm from Australia to NZ at this time of year or is it unpredictable with rough seas likely? We recently completed an Alaska cruise on the Coral and with the very smooth sailing, a partially covered balcony provided great protection from the mists and light rain so we were out reading or watching the water much of the time. Australia/NZ would be a dream trip for us and we're starting the planning portion early so we can pounce when the 2010 intenaries come out. Any opinions or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

LoriPhil you can get a covered mini on Emerald Deck - we have only stayed in an Emerald mini on the Diamond and absolutely love it (although we did have 2 dd's with us) love the covered balcony, large cabin and full size bathroom

my 2c

Jane

LoriPhil you can get a covered mini on Emerald Deck - we have only stayed in an Emerald mini on the Diamond and absolutely love it (although we did have 2 dd's with us) love the covered balcony, large cabin and full size bathroom

my 2c

Jane

We were on the Caribe deck in mid-January and it was perfect for us. DH likes sitting in the shade, I like sitting in the sun. Who knows what will happen with the weather, but for us it was ideal. There were no days where it was so hot that I had to move to the shade, nor were there any rainy days. Lots of at-sea days so we were very happy to have chosen our Caribe room & balcony. Can't compare Emerald deck & mini-suite as I have no knowledge of it. For the 2 of us the cabin was fine; sure the bathroom is small but it works. We spent more time on our half & half balcony than the bathroom!

We were on the Caribe deck in mid-January and it was perfect for us. DH likes sitting in the shade, I like sitting in the sun. Who knows what will happen with the weather, but for us it was ideal. There were no days where it was so hot that I had to move to the shade, nor were there any rainy days. Lots of at-sea days so we were very happy to have chosen our Caribe room & balcony. Can't compare Emerald deck & mini-suite as I have no knowledge of it. For the 2 of us the cabin was fine; sure the bathroom is small but it works. We spent more time on our half & half balcony than the bathroom!

great pictures

Stur Dayton,Ohio

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone!

Now, if you have time for one more question...

we only have the choice of Dolphin Deck for the Minis - since they are uncovered and we're heading mostly north during the NZ portion (Sydney to Auckland), would you recommend port or starboard side cabins? I know the Dolphin is uncovered and didn't know if we're giving up a great land-view as we crise, if we try for the more shaded starboard side cabin.

Any recommendations?

We are hoping to book the Diamond from Sydney to Aukland in late January 2010 and are debating between a partially covered/larger Caribe balcony room vs a mini-suite which is a larger room but uncovered/smaller balcony. The deciding point for us is how much time we might expect to spend on the balcony if we take a late January cruise. Is the weather fairly calm from Australia to NZ at this time of year or is it unpredictable with rough seas likely? We recently completed an Alaska cruise on the Coral and with the very smooth sailing, a partially covered balcony provided great protection from the mists and light rain so we were out reading or watching the water much of the time. Australia/NZ would be a dream trip for us and we're starting the planning portion early so we can pounce when the 2010 intenaries come out. Any opinions or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

While the Tasman Sea can be rough at any time, Late January is mid summer in NZ and Australia, so the weather is more likely to be fine and settled .

We had booked the Panama Canal for 09, and after much discussion with our cruise-buddies and reading these threads (and seeing those wonderful pictures), agreed that Australia-NZ was our real dream-trip so we switched to a January 29 09 Sydney-Auckland cruise. We needed something to look forward to, and 2010 was just too far away! Since we are apparently booking a little late, the cabin selection for adjoining balconies was limited, so we're trying to determine if the mini location just off the port-side Dolphin deck main elevators on the Diamond will be too noisey, or if we should switch to port-side.

Enjoyed your photo album. :) How was the Sheraton Mirage? Will be there pre cruise. We will also be visiting some of the same sites. Looking forward to the trip.

Help,

I would love to see the photo Album, but cannot find the link!

BTW, IMO a partially shaded balcony would be preferable, then you can choose shade/sun.

Archived