National Express from Heathrow

I am taking the National Express from Heathrow to Southampton. Where is National Express terminal in relation to the airport? Is it on the airport grounds? How do I get there from terminal 3?

Thanks for your help.:p

Do I catch a bus from terminal 3 to the central bus terminal?
Most people walk from their terminal to the central bus station. The route is clearly signposted, and will take you down into the underground tunnel system. The entrance the bus station very quite close to the entrance to the Tube station.

There may well be a bus, but I've personally not heard of it and don't know where one would catch it from.

Jeanne,

Here are a couple of tips.

1. If you could, purchase the bus tickets online ahead of time. Sometimes the queue to get a bus ticket can get long at the station.

2. The Central bus station has many bays (or as they call it, a stand) for arriving buses. Check with one of the attendants (usually carrying a clipboard and wearing a safety vest) about which "stand" your bus will be arriving at.

848312918_Sep06004.NatlExpress.jpg.7bf559d07cc504f5503e7bc74ef703a2.jpg

I'm taking National in about three weeks from Heathrow to Southampton. I have purchased a ticket online already, do I now just get in line for the bus or do I have to check in anywhere first?

Doug

I'm taking National in about three weeks from Heathrow to Southampton. I have purchased a ticket online already, do I now just get in line for the bus or do I have to check in anywhere first?

Doug

You should have a printed National Express e-ticket from your online purchase. Just get in line and show that e-ticket to the bus driver when you board the bus.

They have improved the bus station in the last year or so. There is now a large, indoor waiting area with a coffeeshop. You don't have to go to the counter if you have your ticket printout. One one wall there is a large monitor showing all of the coach destinations and their departure times. The monitor will display the bay # when the coach arrives; just go out to the coach as soon as you see the bay # appear to make sure you get on (with your bags)!

They haven't done anything about the elevator/lift situation. Still only two slow lifts up from the tunnels and I've never found any stairs to take instead.

Julia

Another suggestion if you haven't purchased tickets yet and are buying more than one.

I purchased our tickets one at a time instead on entering 2 when asked how many. They were much cheaper, 2 gbp from Heathrow to London and 4 GBP London to Dover, per person. When I just checked last week the London to Dover was more expensive. We also are seniors. So if you buy them far enough in advance, they are cheaper.

Happy cruising.

Joanne

Yes, always check for the funfares on National Expresses web site.

When you exit Customs in Terminal 3, go out into the "Greetings Hall" and turn right. Just as you enter the next area, look immediately to your left and there is an escalator going down to the walkway to the Central Bus Station. If you can do this with your luggage, it's the easiest way, but there is an elevator, too.

The walk is about 10 minutes, and, as mentioned above, there is a large lobby area. As you enter it, the information desk is immediately to your left. Just ask which bus "bay" to go to. Ours to London was the very last one.

It's quite convenient, but if you can conserve on luggage, it makes the whole trip easier. Our large rolling duffels were overpacked and awkward, so sturdier luggage that rolls easier would be better, IMO.

I purchased our tickets one at a time instead on entering 2 when asked how many. They were much cheaper, 2 gbp from Heathrow to London and 4 GBP London to Dover, per person. When I just checked last week the London to Dover was more expensive.
Yes, always check for the funfares on National Expresses web site.
This can work if you are going to Dover.

But the OP is going to Southampton. Funfares are not available from airports. And if going to Southampton, there is absolutely no point in going into central London, only to come all the way back past the airport again on the way to Southampton, just to save a few pounds. If going to Southampton, it's better value just get the direct coach and pay the full fare.

Archived