Families w/ kids: How do you see the adult shows?

Disneygirl4ever

We're cruising with our kids who will be 13 and 9, and our friends and their 8 year old. I'm sure our friends and ourselves would like to at least see one "adult" show while we're on board. We were thinking about leaving the two younger kids with my oldest in one of our cabins. He'll be 13 and technically of babysitting age (at least on dry land!). Having never stepped foot on a cruise ship before, I'm not sure if this would be an advisable plan or not. Any suggestions?

We're cruising with our kids who will be 13 and 9, and our friends and their 8 year old. I'm sure our friends and ourselves would like to at least see one "adult" show while we're on board. We were thinking about leaving the two younger kids with my oldest in one of our cabins. He'll be 13 and technically of babysitting age (at least on dry land!). Having never stepped foot on a cruise ship before, I'm not sure if this would be an advisable plan or not. Any suggestions?

We will be on a cruise in less than 2 weeks with our 12 (almost 13) and 9 year old. This is our 4th family cruise. Our kids really like to go to the Kids Crew at night. It is open from 7-10pm and they also have late night sitting from 10pm until 1 am. We have used the late night only once or twice for an hour or 2, usually at our kids request because their friends are staying late.

If our kids are not with us, they go to Kids Crew. We would not feel comfortable having them stay in the cabin by themselves. Also, we do not allow them to wander the ship without adult supervision. People may think that this is too strict, but so many things could happen and we prefer to be safe.

We have had great family cruises with a nice mix of family time and adult time thanks to Kids Crew.

Are your children responsible and trustworthy? My DS 6 (not that I would leave him alone now!) is VERY trustworthy and responsible for his age so I know when he is 13, I could leave him in charge. Why not take walkie talkies? That way you could be in contact with them at all times if need be. It really depends on the kids whether or not they are ready to be left alone. You know your kids better than any poster on this thread.

I think eitaher the kids crew or allowing the 13 year old to baby sit will work just fine. I am happy to see you have enough sense not to even try to take the kids to an adult show. I have seen many parents who think nothing of this. thanks and your kids will thank you too as they get older.

Nita

Are your children responsible and trustworthy? My DS 6 (not that I would leave him alone now!) is VERY trustworthy and responsible for his age so I know when he is 13, I could leave him in charge. Why not take walkie talkies? That way you could be in contact with them at all times if need be. It really depends on the kids whether or not they are ready to be left alone. You know your kids better than any poster on this thread.

They are all good kids, and my oldest is particularly responsible. He's the type who walks the "straight and narrow" and is a big-time rule follower. I know he could handle being alone, as I leave him home alone now at the age of 12 (for an hour or so at a time).

My worry isn't so much that I don't know the kids' capabilities, but more of the safety issues on board. They'd be locked in a cabin, and not allowed to wander around, but will they be safe in a cabin? Who has access to that cabin besides us? Would you consider all of the crew "trustworthy"? Do they have background checks done? This is the part that I'm unsure about.

Thanks for the feedback!

Put a "do not disturb" sign on your door and no one will have any reason to enter. Order your kids room service before you leave if they want food. And bring walkie talkies so they can contact you if they need to.

Put a "do not disturb" sign on your door and no one will have any reason to enter. Order your kids room service before you leave if they want food. And bring walkie talkies so they can contact you if they need to.

Please do not bring walke talkies into the show. The performers and the rest of the audience will thank you.

There may be some kids activitys going on at the same time. The adult shows were very good and i too was surprised to see some people bring their kids in. I can only hope they left when they saw how the shows were going. Great for adults with open minds, Kids would learn way too much info. lol

I think your kids would be fine in cabin or at kids club,remember there is a phone in cabin and a lock on door they can turn after you leave.

I guess it comes down to comfort level for me.

I trust my kids but I am also someone who will relax and enjoy myself more knowing that they are supervised and enjoying themselves with friends at the Kids Crew. That is why Kids Crew works for us.

I do not think that bringing a 2-way radio to a show is a good option. I agree with others as this really interferes with others ability to enjoy the show in my opinion.

When my kids aren't with me they are at the kid's club. So since you are going on the Spirit (that's NCL right) then I would suggest allowing them to go to their own kid activities for each age group at night.

That's how we go to the adult shows. The kids go to their entertainment and we go to ours. :D

First off, I guess this is one of those questions you must consider for your self....:)

Yes, personally, I think if you leave your 13 yr old child at home alone, then it is probably ok on board too, but the other stipulations (sorry, bad spelling!) being, what will he use to get ahold of you since the Walkie Talkies are not recommended in the shows? Too bad those don't have a paging mode or something..:confused: Maybe take your cell phone/set on vibration and tell him to ONLY call in an emergency (as to the cost on calling!!!)...And definately eave the DO NOT DISTURBE sign on the door, just so the crew wont come in...

But otherwise, I must agree as to just them your kids go to the Camp Carnival activities. Check into the late night activities too. I have not ben on there with my kids yet, so I don't know the prices, times, etc, but for me, I don't see a big isue with paying for later childcare times. We don't usually at home, but hey, if we need/want some adult time, an not sure about the kids staying in the room alone (not that I WOULD my Kids are WAY TOO YOUNG!:eek: ) I would not hesitate to pay a little extra.;)

The only "adult only" shows are the R-rated comedians and those are usually only once or twice during the cruise and take place at midnight. Your kids would probably be in bed by then anyway. My husband and I have gone to these midnight shows, after tucking the boys (9 and 11) into bed and with a walkie talkie, just in case they need us. Usually the show is less than an hour long and we're back in the cabin before 1am.

All of the other shows on board are great for kids to experience! I'm sure that they would love to accompany you!

I don't know what cruise line you are cruising with, but NCL' s kid's crew group sitting is for ages 2 - 12. You say you oldest is 13 which would exclude him and they are strict about their age requirements. I certainly would rather have my 3 kids together then let one be all by himself.

I don't know what cruise line you are cruising with, but NCL' s kid's crew group sitting is for ages 2 - 12. You say you oldest is 13 which would exclude him and they are strict about their age requirements. I certainly would rather have my 3 kids together then let one be all by himself.

We are cruising NCL. I didn't know that they group sitting was only to the age of 12. Ruh Roh....guess that makes the decision for me. I was thinking of just paying the extra money for one night of grown up time, but I guess it wouldn't work anyway. I definitely think he'd be more comfortable having company in the cabin rather than being by himself. I figured if we set them up with a movie, or their Gameboys, or something, they'd be ok together. The younger two would probably even fall asleep. We do have walkie talkies...guess we'll take them along and try them out first to be sure they work.

Thanks for the info.

I would definitely order in some pizza, make sure they have drinks, set up the laptop or DVD player with a movie, put up the Do Not Disturb sign and go have fun!

I figure my kids ( 12 and almost 7) will be so tired by the time late dinner is over and I get them settled, they will be begging to go to sleep lol. My older is very responsible and watches the younger one now for up to 4 hours at a time, so I am confident they will be fine.

Archived